Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I wish I would have taken them just for the heirloom value.

I must be your opposite number, because I've always gotten a kick out of old tools. Got rid of most of them when we moved in 2015, but still have a few. A couple of them, still very usable, are from DW's grandfather, who was born in 1870.

Can't remember exactly the details, but I had a problem about ten years ago that needed a very unusual tool that I didn't even have a name for. I rummaged around in my box of old tools and came up with something that was at least a century old and fit the purpose perfectly. Made me very happy.

One of my regrets in life, not laying claim on my machinist Dad's Gerstner tool chest when he passed. At the time my brother had a lot more blue collar contacts then I did and I presumed he'd be better positioned to sell my Dad's machinist tools to benefit my Mom. I don't know that my Mom ever saw any money from Dad's tools or chest, as my brother has always been well versed in blowing the dough even when he had very little. I don't really have a great need for a Gerstner chest, and I could well afford buying a new one if I do desired, but it's still a heirloom that I regret letting slip through the family's hands.

My DD, a mechanic, bought some tools from widow of a Caterpillar mechanic back in the '70's for $500. Big sum of money in those days; but there was a 1" drive Snap On socket set with sockets up to 6". About 4 Cornwell 3/4" drives and sockets sets up to 4", taps, dies, micrometers, etc. I used to tease my dad about taking one of the socket sets out, and take a bridge apart. We still have them, as DB doesn't want to part with them.

I must be your opposite number, because I've always gotten a kick out of old tools. Got rid of most of them when we moved in 2015, but still have a few. A couple of them, still very usable, are from DW's grandfather, who was born in 1870.

Can't remember exactly the details, but I had a problem about ten years ago that needed a very unusual tool that I didn't even have a name for. I rummaged around in my box of old tools and came up with something that was at least a century old and fit the purpose perfectly. Made me very happy.

I know what you mean about getting satisfaction from using old tools. I have a few tools from my father and grandfather, just not their whole collections. I routinely use an old crescent wrench that my grandfather gave me. Probably 100 years old. Works fine with wd40. He engraved his initials in it - which fits because mine are the same.

I got my new high end Lazy Boy recliner today, and I am sitting in it, and AHHH!!! I didn't know that a "mere" $2175 purchase could make my back feel so comfie. :D Plus, there is something about knowing just what you want, thinking about it for several months, and being able to purchase it and have it delivered. The "White Glove" delivery guys took my old recliner next door for F (who wants to fix and use it). One of them used to fix recliners for a living, and told F how he could fix it quickly, easily, and cheaply, too, so this is a "win win" sort of deal.

I didn't even try the massage function on my new recliner when I bought it (because it would not have affected my decision). But I tried it just now, and it is kind of fun, too! Sort of like the legendary "Magic Fingers" in motel rooms half a century ago. It also has heat, but heat in New Orleans? Well, maybe on a cold day, but it is 79F outside right now. I guess I could use the heat function like a heating pad maybe, when my back is hurting. Right now just the back cushioning itself is making my back not hurt.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that if you really really REALLY want something stupidly expensive like my recliner, and you can afford it and know that is what you want, then even if you are a bit of a cheapskate, give yourself permission to BLOW THAT DOUGH! It is SO worth it. Aaaaahhhhh!!! :D

Congrats! That’s awesome!

Love that white glove delivery experience! I once had a Euro Cave wine refrigerator delivered. It came all the way from the manufacturer in Lyon, France! - although I ordered from the US company Wine Enthusiast. So a big truck pulls up with this large wooden crated object, and two guys uncrate and do absolutely everything including plugging it in and making sure it is pristine and that it works. Loved the experience.

Congrats! That’s awesome!

Love that white glove delivery experience! I once had a Euro Cave wine refrigerator delivered. It came all the way from the manufacturer in Lyon, France! - although I ordered from the US company Wine Enthusiast. So a big truck pulls up with this large wooden crated object, and two guys uncrate and do absolutely everything including plugging it in and making sure it is pristine and that it works. Loved the experience.

It was great, I agree!!! They set it up with my swiveling laptop table, so that it anchors the table as designed. And, they assembled it and even plugged it in and got it working for me. It's not that I couldn't have done all that, but if I had, I'd be groaning about how my back was hurting (as a result). Instead I am blissfully enjoying how good my back feels sitting in the recliner.

Went to the Home Show last weekend, signed up for a quote with Renewal by Anderson to have some windows and two doors replaced, just for grins.

DH guessed it would be $4K and I laughed, loudly. It was 4 times that, and we did it anyway. The room we sit in most of the time is cold/hot, and this will help.

In my wildest dreams, I could have never imagined we'd be able to spend $ like this, especially after retiring. It's a whole new world.

We installed thirteen Renewal by Andersen windows with no regrets. We’ll likely do more next year.

Went to the Home Show last weekend, signed up for a quote with Renewal by Anderson to have some windows and two doors replaced, just for grins.

DH guessed it would be $4K and I laughed, loudly. It was 4 times that, and we did it anyway. The room we sit in most of the time is cold/hot, and this will help.

In my wildest dreams, I could have never imagined we'd be able to spend $ like this, especially after retiring. It's a whole new world.

Nice! The first summer after we retired, we replaced our oh so drafty ancient windows with Pella (popular here); I remember it was near the depth of the 2008/9 recession and the salesman almost cried to get some business. I know we'll never break even in terms of the heating bills, but I still notice what a difference they make for our comfort.

Closing in the screened porch

We installed thirteen Renewal by Andersen windows with no regrets. We’ll likely do more next year.

They come next month to enclose our screened porch which will make it a real 3 season space, maybe even comfortable enough in winter with a heater by you. Can’t wait and serious Dollars which could only have been done with BTD money!

I've been getting the renewal by anderson flyers too. I take it you guys like the product and find it a good value?

I've been getting the renewal by anderson flyers too. I take it you guys like the product and find it a good value?

I’m all for blow the dough. But, when I got quotes for replacing all of my 26 windows, Renewal by Anderson was about five times my lowest quote. I didn’t go for the lowest quote . . . I went with one that was twice the lowest quote. But still less than half of the RBA quote. And, they look great. Not sure how people justify the cost of RBA.

Since we are leaving in a month for our Hawaii cruise, it is time to mention some numbers. We will be on a 15 day cruise in a suite (see below) on the Star Princess (about $10K). While on Oahu, I have booked a flight in a WW2 aircraft for an hour flight over Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, etc ($2K). Our other expenses pale in comparison:D

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-02-12 192945.png
    Annotation 2020-02-12 192945.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG6170.jpg
    IMG6170.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 72
Cruisin' in style Souschef!, Robbie likes it. Patio too. You Rock!

The host of one of my three poker leagues is having a baby, so we are moving the game to my house for a month or two. Just ordered a sweet poker table and am shopping of a complete set of 1000 chips.

Since we are leaving in a month for our Hawaii cruise, it is time to mention some numbers. We will be on a 15 day cruise in a suite (see below) on the Star Princess (about $10K). While on Oahu, I have booked a flight in a WW2 aircraft for an hour flight over Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, etc ($2K). Our other expenses pale in comparison:D

Looks great.
Do you get to fly the aircraft?

Check out Home Depot. While trying to replace some Anderson windows in my rental unit, the Renewal salesman came for a sales call. He explained that Andersen makes windows at several different grades (not model numbers) as not to compete with corporate Andersen, Renewal by Andersen, Contractor Andersen and Home Depot Andersen. I don't know if the promotion is still on by Home Depot in your area, but here locally, one can buy 1-100 windows at one time and only installation labor cost of $99.99. HD has replaced 2 of my French Doors with 2 sliding French doors at a similar promotion 3 years ago. YMMV

I ended up finding 6 Andersen windows at my local Restore center that were $5.00 a piece, so the window gods were smiling at me. I saved over $5000, as I removed and reinstalled them myself.

More house maintenance :facepalm:, looking into replacing the upstairs (FROG) AC Unit. $2,800. Installed. Gets used maybe once a year.

I got my new high end Lazy Boy recliner today, and I am sitting in it, and AHHH!!! I didn't know that a "mere" $2175 purchase could make my back feel so comfie. :D Plus, there is son!!! :D

Good for you! Out of curiosity, what exact model did you get? I’m considering one for my DW who has had lingering back issues (possibly Lime related) for a few years now. Sounds like this could do the trick

Good for you! Out of curiosity, what exact model did you get? I’m considering one for my DW who has had lingering back issues (possibly Lime related) for a few years now. Sounds like this could do the trick

I got this one. However, I'd strongly suggest that your DW should go into your nearest Lazy Boy store, and try different ones if you plan to spend that much money on a recliner. She can see which ones are most comfortable for her. Then she can choose the options she wants, choose the fabric, and so on. There are a lot more variables to choose from in Lazy Boy recliners, than if you were just buying a lawn chair.

Thinking about getting this travel trailer but waffling:

140841-albums3520-picture20416.jpg

$22k out the door.

I got this one. However, I'd strongly suggest that your DW should go into your nearest Lazy Boy store, and try different ones if you plan to spend that much money on a recliner. She can see which ones are most comfortable for her. Then she can choose the options she wants, choose the fabric, and so on. There are a lot more variables to choose from in Lazy Boy recliners, than if you were just buying a lawn chair.

Glad you’re enjoying your new recliner so much, W2R! Looks very comfortable.

I’m all for blow the dough. But, when I got quotes for replacing all of my 26 windows, Renewal by Anderson was about five times my lowest quote. I didn’t go for the lowest quote . . . I went with one that was twice the lowest quote. But still less than half of the RBA quote. And, they look great. Not sure how people justify the cost of RBA.

We are replacing our front bow window. RBA was the highest. Pella (direct) was $1200 or so less, but Pella from Lowes was $3400 less and that's what we are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom