Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this one. However, I'd strongly suggest that your DW should go into your nearest Lazy Boy store, and try different ones if you plan to spend that much money on a recliner. She can see which ones are most comfortable for her. Then she can choose the options she wants, choose the fabric, and so on. There are a lot more variables to choose from in Lazy Boy recliners, than if you were just buying a lawn chair.

Got it - many thanks! Well visit the store but there are SO many choices, I’m happy to have a starting point

Glad you’re enjoying your new recliner so much, W2R! Looks very comfortable.
It really is! I'm enjoying it so much. Sitting in it right now, too.

Instead of calling it a recliner, Lazy Boy should call it a "Nap Machine". :D I have had some of the best naps ever while resting in this recliner.

I am not using the lift function right now, but I love the fact that it is there in case my left knee "goes south" and need surgery too. It helped tremendously to have that during the recovery period for my right knee. Also, if the recliner lasts for over 10 years then I will probably appreciate having the lift function due to old age since I am getting up there in years.

Got it - many thanks! Well visit the store but there are SO many choices, I’m happy to have a starting point
Good!!! I hope you find the perfect recliner for her. :) When I went to the Lazy Boy store, the saleslady took one look at me (I'm tall and quite big in every sense of the word), and after listening to my list of things I wanted in a recliner, steered me towards this one. I don't know if it would work for a smaller woman, though but your Lazy Boy store will have a salesperson who can suggest exactly the right recliner for her stature, needs, and desires.

Dr Roy, my DD had windows replaced with Pella from/installed by Lowes. They are supposed to put insulation in before putting the windows in. None of them had the insulation and are all being replaced. When the inspector came they said it was fine, they don't need insulation. She showed them the Pella installation video that clearly showed it. You might check the video and watch them install. She has been fighting with them for over four months.

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 70
Dr Roy, my DD had windows replaced with Pella from/installed by Lowes. They are supposed to put insulation in before putting the windows in. None of them had the insulation and are all being replaced. When the inspector came they said it was fine, they don't need insulation. She showed them the Pella installation video that clearly showed it. You might check the video and watch them install. She has been fighting with them for over four months.

I had the worst experience with Lowes and their install when we did our windows. I experienced this same thing with regards to insulation. They were literally coming back to our house for years to fix and re-do windows. Never had leaking windows until I had the new ones installed.

I would never EVER go to Lowes. I tell anyone and everyone this who will listen. :)

The store Install Sales dept was poorly run. I wrote corporate etc... Total lack of ownership on Lowes behalf, constant churn of staff, I think I dealt with about 6 different "managers" before corporate "took over" the install sales responsibilities nation wide.

It did not get better.

They kept mentioning how I was out of warranty... but since they never actually finished the job right in the first place, this argument would fade and the effort lingered on.
I started my install process with them in June of 2013, and they were still coming out to my home to repair things last year!

I thought it would be great idea to utilize Lowes and that they would manage the contractors for me. Could not have been further from the truth.

I have so much documentation on all the things they did wrong, but no one seemed to care/take ownership. Thought about going the small claims route, but just was too exhausted with the experience and just wanted to be DONE. (Plus initial "contract" had arbitration clause, though that probably would not have been valid given the incompetence on display)

They were way cheaper than the other estimates, but in the long run I wish I had spent 2x the amount and went with the higher priced outfit.

Last edited:
I just purchased a second home in Bonita Springs, Florida. Just what Florida needs, another old guy.

It is an older townhome in fairly decent shape, but I already have a bunch of changes planned.

I rented in this community in January, and really enjoyed it.
Then I rented in Sarasota the first part of February. That area is very nice too.
Looked at about ten places in the Venice area, and almost purchased a home there.
Stayed with a friend in cape coral next, and decided to drive back to Bonita Springs to check out this townhome.

I liked it, and put in an offer on the spot. The price had just been lowered, and it was priced in the range they have been selling for.

I'm excited about the purchase. I'm trying to expedite the closing, so I can spend March and April down there working on my new place. My friend wants to join me. We would try to catch a few MN Twins spring training games.

Take care,

JP

I just purchased a second home in Bonita Springs, Florida. Just what Florida needs, another old guy.

It is an older townhome in fairly decent shape, but I already have a bunch of changes planned.

Then I rented in Sarasota the first part of February. That area is very nice too.
Looked at about ten places in the Venice area, and almost purchased a home there.
Stayed with a friend in cape coral next, and decided to drive back to Bonita Springs to check out this townhome.

I liked it, and put in an offer on the spot. The price had just been lowered, and it was priced in the range they have been selling for.

I'm excited about the purchase. I'm trying to expedite the closing, so I can spend March and April down there working on my new place. My friend wants to join me. We would try to catch a few MN Twins spring training games.

Take care,

JP
Sounds great- I hope you enjoy it!

Take care,

JP

Excellent and welcome to FLA.
We see a few spring training games each year.
Seeing the Tigers against the Mets and Yankees this year.

Dtail,
I'm a half hour from Fort Meyers.
I considered that a bonus.
Close to an airport, and the Twins spring training facility.
I'm a Minnesota boy.
PS: Still plenty cold up there. I'm not rushing home.

I got nervous at first "blowing that dough ", but I think it is a good move.
I'm looking at it as my winter cabin. A place to escape in the winter for awhile.
I think I will end up with plenty of friends and family visiting.
The grounds and community pool are all maintained, so it will be easier to close it up for the summer.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm a little wound up emotionally.

JP

Dtail,
I'm a Minnesota boy.

I'm looking at it as my winter cabin. A place to escape in the winter for awhile.
The grounds and community pool are all maintained, so it will be easier to close it up for the summer.

JP

Ramble on.:LOL:
You will love it especially in the winter, although it will be cold today.
Only 64 degrees.:D

More Rambling:
Everyone says to rent first to check it out, and that is what I'm doing, but here is what I'm observing:

SW Florida rentals are in great demand in February and March. (111 If you want +70F winter temperatures in the US, the choices are limited.) To get a decent rental, reserving for three months a year in advance seems to be the norm.

It will run >$5000/month easy if the place is halfway decent.

Renting has it's hassles too. Bringing and stocking what you want. Questionable beds. Cleanliness issues. Possibly not liking the place you are staying.

I love the idea of having my own stuff, and I still enjoy doing maintenance and updating of my own place. Might even establish some casual friendships. Everyone has been very nice to me.

My sisters really can't afford to rent down here, so it will be fun offering them a place to stay in the winter when they want. They both love Florida.

I'm already planning a "guys week" with several long time buddies next winter.

Take care, JP

Dtail,
I'm a Minnesota boy.

JP

Congratulations!
My BIL and his wife live (year round) in Bonita Springs.
Too crowded for my liking but nice to visit for a week or so.
Very congested during the winter months as I am sure you found out.
Lots of great restaurants though. Check out Enricos if you like Italian.
Great food very reasonably priced and usually crowded but worth it

We sold our motor home yesterday so have more dough to blow on trips. Two best days were the day we bought it and the day we sold it:))

JP, congrats on the new house in FL. It would be wonderful to have a place in FL to get away from our winters. Enjoy.

Dreamer,
Thanks. It was a big move for me, but I think it was the right decision.

The townhome is not new, but it is very nice in my opinion, and ideally set up for a snowbird, to allow it to sit unattended in the winter. Gated with community pool, and lawn maintained. Fairly low HOA fees.

I'm closing early March. It is coming furnished. I'm going to spend March cleaning, and stocking it up so it is ready to use.

I'm dreaming about minor remodeling projects I want to do there. That will keep me busy.

A good friend will be in Florida in March, and I talked him and his wife into extending there time down there a few extra days, and visit me at my new place. We plan on having rum and cokes on veranda, and maybe hang out at the nice pool in the afternoons.

Take care, JP

The moving to Michigan thread caused me to search for my favorite smoked Chubs and I found some. I guess they are somewhat hit and miss and of limited supply which as you know...

Ordered up 3 pounds. Shipped price, $130.

The Tao of Robbie

The moving to Michigan thread caused me to search for my favorite smoked Chubs and I found some. I guess they are somewhat hit and miss and of limited supply which as you know...

Ordered up 3 pounds. Shipped price, $130.

In counterpoint to the panics of the past week (perhaps even the past few months), it's reassuring to see somebody focused on living.

Thank you for staying grounded and showing us The Way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom