Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What kind is your new ride?
It's a Mustang. This one was a 2019 demonstrator on sale at the local dealer but the 2020s are nearly the same. I'm really enjoying all the modern features. Debated on manual vs automatic but ended up with automatic which is more enjoyable in many traffic situations.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #182

Congrats on the wedding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
Who cares about a declining market? Decided I would not run out of my favorite knives and always be able to keep them ridiculously sharp. Dropped over $1,000 on discontinued pocket knives on eBay and paid up for a new sharpening system. Here's the sharpening system for those interested in a higher level of "sharp" https://www.worksharptools.com/produ...ool-sharpener/.

Plus I got married, and the beach wedding wasn't cheap

All worth it, thanks Robbie for showing the way!
Old 03-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't been to a sushi bar since the lockdown. Ordered up $300 worth of sushi grade goodies from Catalina.

I'm an addict, gotta get my fix!
Old 04-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #184
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought a house last week, Punta Gorda Isles. Getting bids for new bathrooms, and kitchen. Also replacing all the flooring. Putting a new dock and lift out back also.

Landscapers are just going to remove all the old plantings for now, the wife did like one palm tree. When the bushes are removed we can get the house painted.

I’m going to be blowing a lot of dough for. Awhile.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #185

Here is a pic of the front. I’m thinking of having the brick stuccoed over to make it look a little more modern.

This is from a couple of days ago, we had the roof and house power washed and it does look a little better. The roof is actually a cream color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F8E28DE-6132-46EE-AC5C-BE5C89EEC6AB.jpg (705.3 KB, 130 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #186
Moderator Emeritus

^Very nice dm!
Old 04-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^Very nice dm!
+1 Nice house, dm!! And yes, a new house can certainly keep a homeowner busy for a little while, and happy too. Enjoy your new home.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
Bought a house last week, Punta Gorda Isles.
Congrats on your new house.

I have only owned two houses in my life, and both happened to be a perfect fit for where I was at that point in my life. The secret to my success? IMO - not using a "buyer's agent" in either case, but doing all of the investigative legwork myself.

Back around 1990 when I bought my first house, the web didn't exist (that's right, millennials - no realtor.com, zillow.com, etc. ). I found a Chicago real estate agent who was willing to give me slightly out-of-date MLS books to search. Those books were THICK! I would spend weekends thumbing through the MLS books searching for houses that fit my criteria, and then drive over to take a look at promising candidates.

I used basically the same strategy five years ago for my latest house, but the web made the job much easier. I looked at probably ~600 houses on the web and ~20 houses in person before making an offer on a house. So far, so good.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #189

I never had a used house until I moved to Florida 6 years ago. I always had new ones built, my dad was a home builder. But with no contacts and what seemed like very long construction times I bought existing homes down here.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Went out to the workshop and found my tv not working. Comcast says that it is connected ok. It turns on but turns off by itself after a few minutes of a warming up screen. Could be last night's power outage might have been too much for it.

So I ordered a new 55" tv from Best Buy. I'll pick it up tomorrow - put the new tv in my exercise room and move the exercise room tv to the workshop.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Landscaping project started Thursday last week. Got a crew of 4 working out there for 3 days now and material is ordered. Twelve grand blown so far.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I never had a used house until I moved to Florida 6 years ago. I always had new ones built, my dad was a home builder. But with no contacts and what seemed like very long construction times I bought existing homes down here.
I always bought existing houses, as that way I could see exactly what it looked like and what was wrong with it.
Plus I avoided the rare situations of putting down a big deposit, only to find the builder bankrupt or delayed a year later.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Landscaping project started Thursday last week. Got a crew of 4 working out there for 3 days now and material is ordered. Twelve grand blown so far.
I thought the no landscaping or gardening orders were state-wide, however, appears it is by county. Unfortunately, our landscaping is on hold. Fortunately, we're almost done, with maybe about 3 days left.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #194
Give me a forum ...

The landscapers here are driving by with their trailers of mowers and tools all the time. It's what is saving my brother in law's business. Which is good three times (us, him and his employees)
Old 04-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

I ordered $200 worth of cheese from igourmet. Good cheese has been keeping us sane, and the stores carrying better cheeses are too far away and in more crowded urban areas, with, yes higher disease statistics.

Oh, I had already ordered the wine!
Old 04-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thanks edited to correct.

It’s a one time distribution of multiple gifts. Decided to push it out to this year, but have already planned, reviewed and primed the pump so to speak, so no need to wait. With recent investment highs we feel this is timely.

We’ve been retired over 20 years and that much older, obviously. Doing some early estate planning in that we don’t want to wait to share with heirs until after we’re dead.
BTW that Jan gift turned out to be extremely timely!!! And much needed as it turns out.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #197

Bought a new IPad Pro last week and just placed an order for the new Magic Keyboard that was released for purchase today.

Ordered a professional set of hair clippers too, but that’s a bit more of a necessity than a luxury right now.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #198

Quote:
I ordered $200 worth of cheese from igourmet. Good cheese has been keeping us sane, and the stores carrying better cheeses are too far away and in more crowded urban areas, with, yes higher disease statistics.
That's a remarkable coincidence. I just ordered $186 worth of cheese from the same place.

And I already had plenty of beer to go with it.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's a remarkable coincidence. I just ordered $186 worth of cheese from the same place.

And I already had plenty of beer to go with it.
Great palates think alike? Or was it their 10% sale?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #200

I love cheese too, but I typically just buy a very good sharp cheddar and blue cheese from local suppliers.

What kind of cheese (cheeses?) Are you two purchasing from this location?

Thanks, JP
Quote:
Great palates think alike? Or was it their 10% sale?
Closed Thread