Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought me a new toy. Had one when I was a kid and it got lost over time & moves.

A brand new Wilesco D455 vertical steam engine - :)

Engines for engineers! This one takes up very little space and still has the way cool double acting cylinder.

We are really enjoying our new hot water heater. Now after months of no spending we'll viist the GK's and Key West in October. However no restaurants or bars. Our favorite entertainers slogan - Mask it or Casket. They fortunately are still taking it serious.

Last edited:
When we had the cabin up above the Royal Gorge, Monarch was where we usually skied (once in a while would drive to Breckenridge). Monarch is a nice ski area and I enjoyed the drive to Salida.

I bought my Tahoe Local (Epic) ski pass Wednesday, in a burst of optimism over COVID.

My season pass will be $20 this year (not exactly a Blow That Dough! move). I don't know how COVID will impact skiing so I will settle for the Monarch Ski area here in Colorado. It used to be free for us geezers over 69, but now they charge an administrative fee. It is pretty nice skiing for a smaller area.

Well, we decided to make a contribution to our church and the local food bank, along with some hurricane relief through Team Rubicon. It totaled about $20k this month. We strongly believe a lot of help is needed out there during these difficult times.

I just bought a Dell 15 inch laptop for DW and me. I plan to use it mainly for Zooming, as we have it set up in the dining room. That way the other of us has access to both the computer and the TV.
The funny thing was when the tech brought it in, he had to hunt all over for the power switch. It was the unmarked button on the upper right of the keyboard. Right now I have a little Avery label above it marked POWER

What did you get and where? I like the idea of the tech setting it up...

I bought me a new toy. Had one when I was a kid and it got lost over time & moves.

Engines for engineers! This one takes up very little space and still has the way cool double acting cylinder.

When I was a kid, I got an engine handed down from my 4 siblings built in the 40's. I wanted it to go as fast as possible, so I wrapped a rag over the whistle to build pressure. Turns out the whistle was the relief valve so I blew it up. They still blame me for it, but I kept the remains! And yes - it was really ripping before the boiler blew.

t86dgo9l.jpg

You a bad man you! Not only blew the boiler but the spokes on the flywheel. Most impressive! Yeah, that's an oldie for sure with the simple single action tilting cylinder. As far as blame goes, you do admit to the rag thing eh?

Moving on, in the grand spirit of this thread, I pre-ordered an ounce of white truffle. Cost more than the steam engine - :)

You a bad man you! Not only blew the boiler but the spokes on the flywheel. Most impressive! Yeah, that's an oldie for sure with the simple single action tilting cylinder. As far as blame goes, you do admit to the rag thing eh?

Moving on, in the grand spirit of this thread, I pre-ordered an ounce of white truffle. Cost more than the steam engine - :)

I tried some white truffles over pasta at the Per Se restaurant. Just amazing.

Not any purchases for us to write home about but did give 100K away a week ago. I was thinking that 100K would of bought me some nice things but I really don't need anything at the time. Never the less I did, blow that dough!

You are such a sweetheart!

^ LOL! Well maybe I am or maybe not. Still hard to drop 100K after the hard work it took to get that 100k, thou.

Not any purchases for us to write home about but did give 100K away a week ago. I was thinking that 100K would of bought me some nice things but I really don't need anything at the time. Never the less I did, blow that dough!

Yes, that is definitely a way to blow some dough!

We like to gift while living.

Bought a new red leather recliner !

Congratulations! It sounds beautiful.

I think this is a GREAT way to Blow That Dough! Anybody here who doesn't have a new recliner, and is looking for a satisfying way to BTD, should consider buying one. A good recliner is terrific to have in early retirement, IMO.

Congratulations! It sounds beautiful.

I think this is a GREAT way to Blow That Dough! Anybody here who doesn't have a new recliner, and is looking for a satisfying way to BTD, should consider buying one. A good recliner is terrific to have in early retirement, IMO.

Thanks ! My old one is ten years old so it was time .

Old #30 gave out on a bit of cheddar, of all things. I was going to just get the old one glued back on, but the doc said it wouldn't last (besides, no money in a simple glue job, hehehe). Aaaaand the new crown costs a bit of dough:

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_115551058.jpg
    IMG_20200923_115551058.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Very nice. Imagine a generator option to charge your cell phones during power failures.

Way cool! I had one similar to this one when I was very young, I think I was maybe 9 or 10 when Dad bought it. I'm quite sure he didn't pay the equivalent of $900+ for it as we just didn't have that kind of money but it was still a major expense for my parents. I ran it so much that some bearing finally gave out on it and no one could figure out how to fix it. In Jr. High I did a science fair project including that steam engine, a bicycle light generator, and a light bulb demonstrating "conversion of energy" and got an "A" on the project. No such thing as cell phones then of course.

After 40+ years of hauling it around from move to move I finally gave up and threw it out.:(

Bought $50 worth of pumpkins. A lot of $ to pay for something that won't make it through the night - due to critters.

Ordered up a fire table for the patio, $1400. Next is the furniture from Restoration Hardware, six grand.

Spent $12k on furniture for the new house. Which was hard to do because there isn't a lot of furniture in stock.

Bought $50 worth of pumpkins. A lot of $ to pay for something that won't make it through the night - due to critters.

We don't have that issue, they normally remain untouched but then the question remains "What do we do with them?" after Halloween. We don't cook them or make pies, a few times I cooked the seeds, but that's more a novelty thing and it wore off. So now we just roll them down the hill to the woods and let the deer/squirrels/raccoons/whatever eat them.

I've just got a quote for replacing our shower/panel wall&base/shower system panel. Very basic stuff - really the cheapest shower doors/panels. (The area is small, so our choices are limited - 32 x 32 x 72 shower setup) but it will cost us over $4,500 CAD with install. I didn't know cheap-looking stuff like this costs so much. I believe almost 50% of the cost is labor cost.

Last edited:
Got a new TV. It’s a 120” ultra short throw projector. And a new electronics to go along with it.

My granddaughter is spending the night so we are watching the smurfs.

Attachments

• 4557C9D8-BAF3-4008-B275-94D7EE880C57.jpg
    4557C9D8-BAF3-4008-B275-94D7EE880C57.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom