Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet!

Imma gonna me one too after the house is done. Just a little smaller, half the length and a quarter the power.

I turned 60 this year. To celebrate we had planned this long trip out west. Fly out for a few days in Vegas, then on to stay and hike in Bryce, Zion and other parks around the Grand Canyon. A Europe trip was also scheduled earlier in the year. Both trips had to be cancelled. So about a week before my 60th birthday my wife asked what I wanted to do for my big day. I said “I want to be at the ocean”. No way we were getting on a plane but we are only a 5 hour drive from the coast of South Carolina, so we started researching places to stay. Well, it seems like everyone else had the same desire to be at the beach too. All the reasonably priced places were booked. We found a last minute cancelation on a spacious 3 bed / 3 bath condo in an exclusive gated community right on the ocean. Flat screens in every bedroom. Expansive balcony over the water. Heck, it even had a wet bar. The price was WAY over what I had in mind and the place was way too big for just us two. Then I thought, when are you going to turn 60 again and what are we saving money for if not to enjoy? Let’s spurge! So glad we did. Sunrises on the ocean. Biking on the beach. Local seafood. Nature preserves with alligators and coastal birds. Sunsets on the deck with a glass of good rum. Weather in the mid 70’s. Perfect. Originally we had booked only 5 nights. We were having such a good time that we called mid-week and reserved two more nights!

Thx guys! We had her out last weekend with my son and soon-to-be daughter in law. A lot of smiles that day! We like striper fishing so we leave the boat in until Early December then the marina pulls and winterizes the boat. It's going to be a luxury now as this is the first boat we've ever owned with a generator and heat/AC. It also has direct TV so now we can fish and watch the Jets lose :eek:)

Ordered up 3 Tuff Sheds for the backyard, fourteen grand.

I just withdrew $10K from my IRA as a QCD to a homeless shelter to help them get a handicap shower installed. This way they get the full amount and I whittle my IRA down for the next RMD.

I just withdrew $10K from my IRA as a QCD to a homeless shelter to help them get a handicap shower installed. This way they get the full amount and I whittle my IRA down for the next RMD.

+1000

I just bought a Pole Chain Saw with a 14 Feet reach and a telescopic Hedge Trimmer with an 11 Feet reach that could pivot 180 degrees. DW wants to trim our tall trees and bushes.

Ordered up the outdoor sectional sofa and cushions plus a cover from Restoration Hardware. Seven grand.

Ordered up the outdoor sectional sofa and cushions plus a cover from Restoration Hardware. Seven grand.

Restoration Hardware's is good stuff. Not cheap by any means. Great to way to blow that dough!

Last edited:
Just ordered live Dungeness crabs for DW's birthday. She is NUTS about it. By the time you pay for the ~$25/crab with 4 minimum, the Sat. delivery fee, and the overnight FedEx bill, you are talking real money! :)

You (or perhaps your wife) have excellent choice in crustaceans!

Enjoy!

Thank you! I appreciate the comment.

Yes, I am also ga-ga over them. We spent some time in the Northwest, and grew very fond of them! They are very difficult to get here in the midwest. I am thrilled when I visit San Francisco or the northwest and can get them live in a supermarket!

Just ordered live Dungeness crabs for DW's birthday. She is NUTS about it. By the time you pay for the ~$25/crab with 4 minimum, the Sat. delivery fee, and the overnight FedEx bill, you are talking real money! :)

Yum, my favorite!

The Dungeness crab used to be my fave crab as well, until I overdid it when I lived in the bay area in CA. When I found out that I could pick a live Dungeness crab out of a tank and have it steamed at Ranch 99 (having it steamed was free), I kept on going back for more. I think it cost only around $20 for one Dungeness crab of a decent size (enough for one meal for me). It may cost more now as that was at least 5 years ago though, but probably not by much.

Last edited:
Yes we are coming up on crab season and good ones should be at the grocery regularly.

The Dungeness crab used to be my fave crab as well, until I overdid it when I lived in the bay area in CA. When I found out that I could pick a live Dungeness crab out of a tank and have it steamed at Ranch 99 (having it steamed was free), I kept on going back for more. I think it cost only around $20 for one Dungeness crab of a decent size (enough for one meal for me). It may cost more now as that was at least 5 years ago though, but probably not by much.

Yup, it was Ranch 99 I was referring to earlier. I didn't know you could get them steamed!

Maybe it was a good thing I didn't know about Ranch 99 and Dungeness crabs when I lived in the East Bay many years ago! ;) Only learned of Ranch 99 on recent visits.

DW didn't like carrying the vacuum downstairs to sweep the basement...so we bought a second vacuum. Nice to have the luxury of being able to do things like that.

Just dropped $2400 on a new telescope. 10" goto Dobsonian. Will be nice to view the Jupiter Saturn conjunction on 21 Dec. If it comes in in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom