Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 6,572
The Uni goes really fast. I was lucky enough a couple of times to get the live ones. A lotta work, but incomparable flavor!

You're in for a real treat! Catalina has never let me down.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #282
Moderator Emeritus
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 13,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
My husband smoked the Dino bones in his Traeger.
I thought that smoke ring looked familiar. I'm going to start smoking again when the outside temp gets to 30°. Cold temps really affect my grilling times.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #283
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
Wow, I have to try this! The liqueur and the eggs remind me of my favorite home made eggnog recipe (European style, with 20% alcohol and less sugar). But I am wondering, does anyone have experience with these ice cream making machines? Seems in these Covid times , this may be a worthwhile investment
Yes! I had one for years - it was part of the truckloads of things that got sold when we went full time in the RV.

The old ice cream maker was awesome and easy, and it wasn’t even a quality one. I imagine they work even better now. I need to buy one. Nothing better than home made custard ice cream, to me.
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #284
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Two e-bikes arrived via Fedex a few days ago. It took about 3 hours to do final assembly and adjust the disk brakes. These are Ride1UP series 500 bikes. Priced at about $1200 each, they have components and build quality of much higher priced e-bikes. The company is based in LaJolla, and the bikes are built in Sparks, NV. Beginning today, there is no such thing as a headwind or hill in my riding vocabulary.

Nice! I can see picking up a couple of these in the near future.
Poweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #285
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Two e-bikes arrived via Fedex a few days ago. It took about 3 hours to do final assembly and adjust the disk brakes. These are Ride1UP series 500 bikes. Priced at about $1200 each, they have components and build quality of much higher priced e-bikes. The company is based in LaJolla, and the bikes are built in Sparks, NV. Beginning today, there is no such thing as a headwind or hill in my riding vocabulary.
Very nice, could you let us know how they work for you? I am in the market for DW.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #286
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
One pound of Bluefin Tuna;



Tekka & Kappa Maki;



Yeah, I'm a show off -

Seriously, this fish is better than what you get at the sushi bar. And no covid to worry about!
Very good looking piece of medium toro!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #287
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
That is great. I am glad you found a solution. I was tempted to suggest cypress, since you are in FLA, but that would probably be outrageously expensive. Poplar should serve your needs.

I'm making progress, I have the exterior covered, the insulation installed, the conduit and wiring run. My upper vent cut and have the lower vent boxed in. I got all the Poplar cut to size, so after I get the Infra Red vapor barrier installed, I can start on the interior walls. I found a Sauna heater on the Marketplace, I paid $50 for it, not tested, but that included the rocks. Ordering just the rocks would run more than $50. When I got home I found the thermostat was not working, but I found one on Ebay for $70.

I had a mandatory work stoppage this afternoon, the Daytona 500 is on.

In a rain delay now, may go back out and get something done.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:29 PM   #288
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Out-to-Lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I'm making progress, I have the exterior covered, the insulation installed, the conduit and wiring run. My upper vent cut and have the lower vent boxed in. I got all the Poplar cut to size, so after I get the Infra Red vapor barrier installed, I can start on the interior walls. I found a Sauna heater on the Marketplace, I paid $50 for it, not tested, but that included the rocks. Ordering just the rocks would run more than $50. When I got home I found the thermostat was not working, but I found one on Ebay for $70.

I had a mandatory work stoppage this afternoon, the Daytona 500 is on.

In a rain delay now, may go back out and get something done.
If you get that heater working for <$150 or so, that is a STEAL. I paid a grand!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #289
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 4,851
Blew Some....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MGB.JPG (37.1 KB, 72 views)
__________________
"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able To Tell the Difference." - Mark Twain
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #290
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 12,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
Wow, I have to try this! The liqueur and the eggs remind me of my favorite home made eggnog recipe (European style, with 20% alcohol and less sugar). But I am wondering, does anyone have experience with these ice cream making machines? Seems in these Covid times , this may be a worthwhile investment
I have a Donvier ice cream maker. It consists of an aluminum insert that some type of freezable liquid in it. One freezes the insert 24 hour ahead time, minimum. Make the ice cream custard. Take the insert out of the freezer and put into the maker. pour in custard. Turn handle every 30 seconds to start and then about every minute or two. In 20-30 minutes you have ice cream. No need to mess with salt solutions, etc.

https://www.serving-ice-cream.com/do...eam-maker.html
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #291
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Blew Some....
Nice...what year? 1971? (I had a 1968).
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #292
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
If you get that heater working for <$150 or so, that is a STEAL. I paid a grand!

Ya I do have a concern though, I was shopping for a 3kW unit and got a 5.2kW unit. I may have to throttle it back, on the other hand I have read a lot of posts on r/sauna of people not being able to get a high enough temperature, I don't expect that problem. It has two 2.6kW heating elements, if needed I can find a work around. At least it will be a quick warm up! Got most of my IR barrier installed this morning, one more small piece and the ceiling, and I'll start nailing wood to the walls. The last hurdle will be the door. I bought a 24" door with casing for $10 at Habitat for humanity. I expected to put a window in the inset panel, but then I realized the door it to tall and the inset panel is to long, so I can't just cut the top and bottom. I suspect I'll donate it back
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:22 PM   #293
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Historic Florida
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nice...what year? 1971? (I had a 1968).
1973 Chrome Bumper Model.
__________________
"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able To Tell the Difference." - Mark Twain
ShokWaveRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #294
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,754
Beautiful car ShokWaveRider!!
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #295
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 486
Super nice car shockwave. My sister and brother-in-law had a 69 MGB GT. I have no idea what happened to it. I remember it was fun it had that electric two speed.
Funny story: my high school age brother borrowed it one night for a date. brother-in-law gave him all sorts of crap the next day about the footprint on the inside of the windshield!
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #296
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
1973 Chrome Bumper Model.
I noticed the chrome bumper but couldn't tell if it had the split rear bumper. Nice looking B!
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #297
Recycles dryer sheets
Charlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 214
My new Apple iPhone 12 arrived this morning! This will be a nice upgrade from my old 6s plus. It’s been a breeze setting it up, apple sure makes it easy.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #298
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Out-to-Lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Ya I do have a concern though, I was shopping for a 3kW unit and got a 5.2kW unit. I may have to throttle it back, on the other hand I have read a lot of posts on r/sauna of people not being able to get a high enough temperature, I don't expect that problem. It has two 2.6kW heating elements, if needed I can find a work around. At least it will be a quick warm up! Got most of my IR barrier installed this morning, one more small piece and the ceiling, and I'll start nailing wood to the walls. The last hurdle will be the door. I bought a 24" door with casing for $10 at Habitat for humanity. I expected to put a window in the inset panel, but then I realized the door it to tall and the inset panel is to long, so I can't just cut the top and bottom. I suspect I'll donate it back
I wouldn't be concerned! Mine is a 7 kW.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:38 PM   #299
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 215
My butt and back appreciates the $400 (tax included) I spent on a Workpro 12000 office chair at Office Depot. It is similar to the Aeron by Herman Miller except not quite blowing that kinda of dough.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #300
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Somewhere Cold
Posts: 196
Thanks to hearing about them on another thread on this site, I splurged and spent $24 on my first pair of Darn Tough™ socks. They arrived via UPS this afternoon.
I know $24 is not all that much in this thread but never in my life would I have imagined spending $24 on a single pair of socks.
Ya gotta start somewhere, right?
(DW already has a '77 MGB)
__________________


-AM23
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (3 members and 3 guests)
albireo13, fosterscik, street
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blow that Dough! - 2018 audreyh1 Life after FIRE 1099 04-12-2019 07:15 PM
Blow that dough or keep saving for inevitable? gayl FIRE and Money 29 08-31-2018 11:22 AM
What Would It Cost Today...Or Blow That Dough in the 80s TrvlBug Other topics 29 05-24-2018 09:00 AM
A month in Europe! (Blow that dough) flintnational Travel Information 40 04-11-2018 09:01 PM
Blow that dough (It's official now) braumeister FIRE and Money 164 01-03-2018 02:00 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:04 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.