Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 05:04 AM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You’ll love it! We also switched from a plasma.

And a good thing you’re having it locally delivered, because these large thin-screened units are easily damaged when individually shipped. Be sure to check it well before accepting the delivery.

Our first 4K OLED arrived with some kind of strange screen warping down to the base even though the box appeared undamaged. Luckily we noticed it wasn’t straight. Shipper reported the damage to B&H and they had to send out another. Fortunately the replacement unit was in excellent condition.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 05:41 AM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
This was some time ago, but finally applied finish to some apothecary drawers in hickory for my office to fill the open holes I had designed in the cabinetry. Can keep small items in these.
Attachment 37948

Attachment 37949

Attachment 37950

Beautiful work and love the wood tones.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:02 AM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
PAID IN FULL and this should last us for a long time. He's retired and I have very small part time job. We could be a one car family if we wanted but we're just not ready for that yet.

Feels good to have it in our garage. I'd post a pic but it was too dark when we got home.
We tried to be a one car family last year. It lasted about 9 months. We are both retired and still had difficulty. My wife missed her car and we only had a pick up truck as our one vehicle. So 2 months ago we went shopping.
She's very happy with her new to us Subaru Outback(our 3rd one) and if she's happy, I'm happy.

We have tried various similar vehicles (RAV4, CRV, Toyota Highlander etc)a few times but always are sold on the Subaru AWD system which is very important in NH and our steep driveway.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:55 AM   #364
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

And a good thing you’re having it locally delivered, because these large thin-screened units are easily damaged when individually shipped. Be sure to check it well before accepting the delivery.

Our first 4K OLED arrived with some kind of strange screen warping down to the base even though the box appeared undamaged. Luckily we noticed it wasn’t straight. Shipper reported the damage to B&H and they had to send out another. Fortunately the replacement unit was in excellent condition.
Audrey,
We bought a small Samsung TV for our livingroom. We were going to not have one there, but changed our minds.

Then we decided to mount it on a small wall in that area.

I got the mounting bracket all setup, and was about to put the brackets on the TV, and I lightly bumped the nearby TV with my elbow. It tipped over, almost in slow motion, and hit the edge of the wicker table it was on.

It severely cracked the display. The new TVs look great, and are amazingly priced, but they are also extremely delicate. Not a great way to blow that dough.

JP
Old 03-03-2021, 07:59 AM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

This is a good PSA. LED TV's are less delicate because they have a solid frame/box around the whole TV. The OLEDs are weird with the really heavy base and very flimsy tops. It was challenging getting it out of the box and hung due to it's weird configuration. I scared myself a couple of times when I started to pick it up like a normal LED TV and the screen flexed. They are amazing, though.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #366
Give me a forum ...

It’s a good idea to have two people working on unpacking, moving and hanging these units!
Old 03-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We have been quite happy with our 8 year old, 55 in. plasma TV. On Monday, it stopped receiving video signal from any source, to any connection port. Bummer. After checking out the current TV tech, we bought a latest model, 65 in. 4K OLED. The picture is mind blowing . At $2000 it's the most we have even spent on a TV, but we did get it from our local appliance store for $200 under Amazon. It delivers tomorrow.
Wow, hope you enjoy it! Sounds like you got a good deal.

We have a 58" plasma...was expensive back in the day. Ours is about 15 years old.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Wow, hope you enjoy it! Sounds like you got a good deal.

We have a 58" plasma...was expensive back in the day. Ours is about 15 years old.
Friend at w*rk got one about 15 years ago. I think it cost $10K. His mantra was that he had many chronic diseases and he would die young - so BLOW THAT DOUGH but while he was still w*rking. He would then launch into that song "I'm going to live, live, live until I die" but substituted "w*rk" for "live." He's almost 70 now, still "enjoying" ill health and still buying every toy. It's not my way, but who's to say it's wrong for him? YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #369
Recycles dryer sheets

Those of you who fancy cool cars: don't let yourself be pulled into racing with some like-minded friends. In Germany, recently a Ferrari fan club went for a spin on the Autobahn, where there are no speed limits, and this is what happened. This is a way to blow that dough really really quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferrari Crash 2.jpg (525.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #370
Give me a forum ...

^ Boys and their broken toys.....
Old 03-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Friend at w*rk got one about 15 years ago. I think it cost $10K. His mantra was that he had many chronic diseases and he would die young - so BLOW THAT DOUGH but while he was still w*rking. He would then launch into that song "I'm going to live, live, live until I die" but substituted "w*rk" for "live." He's almost 70 now, still "enjoying" ill health and still buying every toy. It's not my way, but who's to say it's wrong for him? YMMV
I like that song.

Here's another one with the same message:

Quote:
You work and work for years and years, you're always on the go
You never take a minute off, too busy makin' dough
Someday, you say, you'll have your fun, when you're a millionaire
Imagine all the fun you'll have in your old rockin' chair

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #372
Recycles dryer sheets

Let’s see.....this month is bringing:
1. Helping my daughter with a down payment on a house.
2. We underpaid our taxes this year, so owe (oops!)
3. Cataract surgery for me.....$4000 for better lenses.
4. A trip to Hawaii next month.
5. Planning a front yard and backyard side yard remodel.

Our bank account is taking a hit!
Old 03-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #373

Hawaii was great for us. Double sided rainbows and whales.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
Those of you who fancy cool cars: don't let yourself be pulled into racing with some like-minded friends. In Germany, recently a Ferrari fan club went for a spin on the Autobahn, where there are no speed limits, and this is what happened. This is a way to blow that dough really really quickly.
Is that an F355 in the top of the crash picture?
Old 03-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #375
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Is that an F355 in the top of the crash picture?
I don't know, if I remember correctly they only said it was a bunch of Ferraris. Here is another picture that may show that particular car more clearly. There were also some "lesser" cars involved, some of which can be seen in the second picture I am attaching here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferrari Crash 4.jpg (707.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Ferrari Crash 3.jpg (430.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:46 AM   #376

Quote:
The OLEDs are weird with the really heavy base and very flimsy tops. It was challenging getting it out of the box and hung due to it's weird configuration. I scared myself a couple of times when I started to pick it up like a normal LED TV and the screen flexed. They are amazing, though.
Quote:
It’s a good idea to have two people working on unpacking, moving and hanging these units!
DW and I did work on it at the same time. The outer box was configured so that once you cut the wrapping straps, it just lifts off the inner packaging. The screen was so thin that edge on it virtually disappears in the packaging. You have to lay it down on a table to expose the bottom edge and attach the base. The directions warn not to touch the screen, but it's hard to handle the weight from just the screen edge and you can't avoid it flexing a little. We got it done and it's amazing. HD content is so sharp you could cut yourself on it.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #377
Recycles dryer sheets

Interloping here, cause I like to follow the purchases... we're still in our FIRE wind down phase and have loosened the purse strings.

Anyway, earlier in Feb there was a thread at Jamon Iberico. Was reminded of it as I was at the corner specialty market for some guanciale and rosette de lyon and saw it on the deli chalkboard for $66/lb. They fresh slice it for you.

Not a blow the dough example, but we finally bought a replacement TV for a spare watching room. That begat a new chest and a new sound bar. But for $230 the 43" 4K was a huge upgrade in price/performance from the smaller 1080p (the chest was say more!). But still looking at the 65" OLED for downstairs but the value delivered for so little makes me question the $2K value for money, even with the better viewing angles.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

At our Costco last week there was a large pallet of boxes of Jamon Serrano by Noel for $99.99, knife and stand included. I think it was a 14 pound ham. That's a pretty good deal.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #379
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm sick of driving, researching, reading reviews and finally blow some dough on a vehicle. From Toyota, Chevy, Honda, Buick and Ford SUVS I decided on a Ford Escape.

It was a 2020 hold over with a MRSP of $ 29,945 and with rebates incentives and some dickering got them to $22,023. I also added a trade of the civic and they gave me $5250 for it.
I decided to sell my 2004 truck in a private sale and it sold tonight and got $10,500 for it.
Blow some dough but I felt good about the deal all the way around. So a new ride for $6523. It cost me ~ $384 a year for 17 year for both outfits not including ins. or maintence, but just cost of product itself. One was 17 years old and one was 14 years and both outfits were very good shape and low miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6362.jpg (25.4 KB, 429 views)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #380
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

street, be sure to check to see if the dealer took care of all the recalls on the 2020 Escape prior to selling it. I understand there are six of them.