Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #441
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
<snip>
So, $28K for a conventional wood deck w/6x6 lumber or $61K for steel and composite. I could replace the wood deck twice over during the lifetime of composite/steel. That still leaves the maintenance I was hoping to avoid.
Another thing to consider is how the composite ages. We have a particularly poor example here in South Florida, the wooden elevated trails in Everglades National Park. Some years ago (I don't know when, but one could probably find out), they wanted to be smart and replaced them all with composite because it would supposedly last longer and be easier to maintain. But now it looks pretty horrific, the "fakeness" is completely obvious, and it almost has a post-apocalyptic appearance to it. On the other hand, when I lived in California, I always liked how Redwood ages, and the way it develops a patina and a certain degree of character even or especially when not "kept up".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

skipro33 >> I'm very sorry to hear about your health and all will go well I'm sure.

You have done some beautiful work and what a beautiful home you have. I wish I was close I would help you finish that deck.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #443
Give me a forum ...

I think 6x6 would be good.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #444
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
skipro33 >> I'm very sorry to hear about your health and all will go well I'm sure.

You have done some beautiful work and what a beautiful home you have. I wish I was close I would help you finish that deck.
I am sure we all join in with Street's good wishes!

And yes, a really beautiful home, and it looks like it will be a really beautiful deck.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #445

My blow of the dough started last year with the install of an inground pool. Nothing fantastic, but special for us. Install and associated landscaping about $125K.

This year we're working on the amenities. I just spent about $2,500 on an umbrella and dining set for the patio near the pool. Will probably spend another couple grand on a gazebo. Thanks to Costco, it seems like we're getting some nice pieces for a good price.

Now if I can just get the City to give me a break on the gazebo. They say because it has a roof that it's covered by the rules for a shed and requires a footing (piers) of 42" deep. Problem is that the concrete pad was already poured and is larger than the gazebo. So to put down some piers I'd have to somehow cut into the pad I just poured last year. My alternative is to do a pergola. Since a pergola doesn't have a roof, it can be mounted directly to the concrete pad. I get the feeling they're making this stuff up as they go along.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #446
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Picked up 2021 Subaru Ascent two days ago.

Considered it and the BMW X5 PHEV - way different cars, but even with the federal tax credit, it was 30K more than the Subaru, dreary feeling inside, with much harder access and head room.

May use the difference to buy something like the new mid engine Corvette, or, a late model Porsche 911 ��
Old 03-14-2021, 05:01 AM   #447

Jeez, when you guys blow the dough, you don't mess around. 61K? 125K? Six-figure projects? I'm doing well if I can get myself to spring for new underwear.

No, I'm just kidding. I have fresh underwear. But typically, when I'm thinking of "blowing dough," I'm spending a couple of hundred dollars, maybe a couple thousand at most. Nowhere near the projects you guys are talking about.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:58 AM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Jeez, when you guys blow the dough, you don't mess around. 61K? 125K? Six-figure projects? I'm doing well if I can get myself to spring for new underwear.

No, I'm just kidding. I have fresh underwear. But typically, when I'm thinking of "blowing dough," I'm spending a couple of hundred dollars, maybe a couple thousand at most. Nowhere near the projects you guys are talking about.
LOL!
Those people are called rich! I also think "blowing dough" is a couple K at the most. I did buy a SUV recently and had to spend a little more then a couple K and it a big deal for me for blowing dough. Lol
Old 03-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Contractor gave me the billing invoice quotes. The 1,000sqft deck boards are around $13K. The steel framing is around $27K and the railing is around $17K. Misc. hardware, tax, etc took the total to $61K for materials.

1st option; pressure treated wood using 6x6, 6x8 framing instead of steel. Price reduction of $13K, roughly half the cost of steel.

2nd option; pressure treated wood 4x4 4x12 framing instead of steel. Price reduction of another $5K from 1st option, for $18K less than steel.

3rd option; railing deleted. Railing was to be horizontal steel cable between metal posts for a cost of $17K. Contractor says we can design our own from raw materials and save at least $10K.

So, if I went with 6x pressure treated lumber on the framing and custom build the railing, not kit from dealer, the material costs can be reduced from $61K down to $38K. Far as looks goes, nothing that is visible will change.

4th option; redwood deck boards. Cost for 2x6 redwood is around $3 to $4 a square ft., roughly $3K to $4K. A reduction from $13K for composite decking, so another $10K, bringing the deck down to $28K.

So, $28K for a conventional wood deck w/6x6 lumber or $61K for steel and composite. I could replace the wood deck twice over during the lifetime of composite/steel. That still leaves the maintenance I was hoping to avoid.

A year ago, the composite/steel was around $20K for materials and wood was half that.

A lot to consider. It's hard to accept the cost of everything construction doubled in a year.
The conventional deck seems like the way to go. I understand your concerns about regular maintenance as that was one of mu concerns with our PT wood deck. If I could mention a product I used with terrific results because it is a bonding stain that will not peel and over a period of 11 years all I ever had to do was roll on another coat after washing the dirt off the original coat of stain.

Check out onetimewood.com - I have no financial or other interest in this just wanted to pass along something that worked for me and avoided the dreaded stripping and restaining process. All of our 3 daughters families have started using this after seeing the results and ease we had.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #450

Quote:
LOL!
Those people are called rich!
By a lot of measures, I’m rich and I’m humbled by the blessing of what my career provided. The pool was a planned retirement lifestyle expenditure. We planned for one large spend. Options were an RV, or a cottage, or a pool, or a snowbird location. “Rich” as we are, we could only swing one and we chose the pool. Being homebodies, it seemed to make the most sense.

Trust me, it’s all relative. I see some of the lifestyles of members on this board and wonder what that kind of “rich” would be like. I’m sure most anyone one this board has people that look at them as rich just by the nature of the forum - early retirement. I mean, how rich is that!

I look a Street, making his vases out of old cedar posts and walking around on his ranch and wonder what that kind of rich is like. Seems pretty sweet. I’m thankful to share some of these lives with all you rich people.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:26 AM   #451
Give me a forum ...

Jerry1 >> I did not mean anything but some humor from the they are rich comment. I sure hope you took it that way. Just having fun with what must of us can do with our resources.

I see nothing less then humble and blessed people here on ER. I sometimes like to poke fun at our life styles but absolutely not singling out anyone or belittling anyone with what they have or don't have.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:49 AM   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Now if I can just get the City to give me a break on the gazebo. They say because it has a roof that it's covered by the rules for a shed and requires a footing (piers) of 42" deep. Problem is that the concrete pad was already poured and is larger than the gazebo. So to put down some piers I'd have to somehow cut into the pad I just poured last year. My alternative is to do a pergola. Since a pergola doesn't have a roof, it can be mounted directly to the concrete pad. I get the feeling they're making this stuff up as they go along.
I'm doing a pergola with our pool, but since I'm in FL, for hurricane wind requirements I need those deep footers anyway. I had them poured before the decking, as I knew I needed something out there. Yup they are deep!

I'm getting the simple 12x12 yardistry pergola from Costco, and I'll also get some sort of shade cover fabric to make a "roof" so it won't be fully covered but offer some respite in the sun, which is all I really want.

I'm also doing a pool, and went for upgrades like salt, travertine decking, a ledge with therapy jets, and of course I happened to like the most expensive tile...
Old 03-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #453

Quote:
Jerry1 >> I did not mean anything but some humor from the they are rich comment. I sure hope you took it that way. Just having fun with what must of us can do with our resources.

I see nothing less then humble and blessed people here on ER. I sometimes like to poke fun at our life styles but absolutely not singling out anyone or belittling anyone with what they have or don't have.
No offense taken. I may be a little defensive, but I was really just trying to say that we’re all rich. Just in different ways.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #454

"Railing was to be horizontal steel cable between metal posts for a cost of $17K"

You have got to be kidding me.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I'm getting the simple 12x12 yardistry pergola from Costco, and I'll also get some sort of shade cover fabric to make a "roof" so it won't be fully covered but offer some respite in the sun, which is all I really want.

I'm also doing a pool, and went for upgrades like salt, travertine decking, a ledge with therapy jets, and of course I happened to like the most expensive tile...
Shade is my main objective also, but the gazebo also has mosquito netting which was nice in the evening or helpful for flys and such while eating.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #456
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
No offense taken. I may be a little defensive, but I was really just trying to say that we’re all rich. Just in different ways.
Great! Sometimes my humor isn't funny to all but I can assure you no negativity was intended.

Yeah we are all rich, even without being rich. Lol
Old 03-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
The conventional deck seems like the way to go. I understand your concerns about regular maintenance as that was one of mu concerns with our PT wood deck. If I could mention a product I used with terrific results because it is a bonding stain that will not peel and over a period of 11 years all I ever had to do was roll on another coat after washing the dirt off the original coat of stain.

Check out onetimewood.com - I have no financial or other interest in this just wanted to pass along something that worked for me and avoided the dreaded stripping and restaining process. All of our 3 daughters families have started using this after seeing the results and ease we had.
I agree. I messaged my contractor this morning to that effect; a conventional redwood deck. He called me back. We chatted for nearly an hour and he's got a strong relationship with a west coast redwood mill, can buy direct from the mill, so that might help costs too.

I'll follow up on your referral for the deck finish too. Thanks for that!
Old 03-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #458

Good that you got it going, the prices just keep climbing.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #459
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
Good that you got it going, the prices just keep climbing.
My friend was going to build a large deck with my help last spring but he decided to wait until this year. It was a costly delay.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #460

It really is amazing the concept of rich and poor. We live on around $4k a month. For a long time, it didn't dawn on me that my income from pension and SS was double that until the bank called me about the balance in my checking account. Then there's the IRA's invested in equity mutual funds 80% and cash 20%. Boy howdy have those grown! I'm now BURDENED with finding ways to spend down all this money so my kids don't end up blowing it for me. Ha!

But rich is relative. We recently started watching a program on TV called Airplane Repo. Multi million dollar private jets, 80' yachts, etc. owned by dead beat trust fund babies who haven't a clue what a dollar is worth. Very exciting show!
Closed Thread