Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
No offense taken. I may be a little defensive, but I was really just trying to say that we’re all rich. Just in different ways.
This is true. Early retirement is priceless.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
No offense taken. I may be a little defensive, but I was really just trying to say that we’re all rich. Just in different ways.
And I mean after all, this is the Blow That Dough thread. No room here for judgment or shaming!
Old 03-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #463
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
And I mean after all, this is the Blow That Dough thread. No room here for judgment or shaming!
There certainly are many different levels of blowing dough on this site!!
Old 03-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #464
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
There certainly are many different levels of blowing dough on this site!!
As long as it makes the "dough blower" feel happy, and satisfies his/her consumer urges for the time being, then I think it counts!
Old 03-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #465
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As long as it makes the "dough blower" feel happy, and satisfies his/her consumer urges for the time being, then I think it counts!

I agree. I’m glad you added “for the time being”. Life will not be worth living past the days when my consumer urges stop.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #466
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I suppose I might qualify as low-level "rich" by some definitions. I just have difficulty thinking in terms of blowing six figures. I guess I have a higher threshold for blowing than other people do (I should probably rephrase that).

I think it has to do with 1) valuing simplicity, not being particularly materialistic or consumerist; 2) being early on in my retirement, with a long way to go (hopefully); 3) a long history of saving and accumulating, with little experience in blowing money willy nilly; and 4) being in the middle of uncertain economic times.

In part, I come to this thread for inspiration, though. I would like to learn to be a little less conservative with my money and a little more free-spending. I just don't think I'm ready to jump in the deep end yet. I'll stick to the couple hundred or couple thousand dollar level for now.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
In part, I come to this thread for inspiration, though. I would like to learn to be a little less conservative with my money and a little more free-spending. I just don't think I'm ready to jump in the deep end yet. I'll stick to the couple hundred or couple thousand dollar level for now.
My idea of "blowing the dough" is no tied up in the price but in the purpose or use of what you are blowing the dough on. For instance the above poster with the 6 figure deck: An arguement could be made that a deck is almost essential. I think Robbie blowing a few hundred on some crabs legs and waygu steaks qualifies for "blowing the dough" long before someone adding a deck to the back of their house does. My 2 cents.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 03-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #468
Give me a forum ...

I'm all for exotic foods. Gimme some wagyu and I'll flip it on the barbee. Gimme some Russian Ossetra and I'll creame fraiche it with some icy cold grey goose.

I got some snake river cap of ribeye in the freezer and a couple pounds of catalina grade fish.

But hey, I did a hundred grand on the landscape and the sheds too!

The fountain arrived on friday. It cost a grand.

Hey maybe that's the level eh? Over a grand.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
My idea of "blowing the dough" is no tied up in the price but in the purpose or use of what you are blowing the dough on. For instance the above poster with the 6 figure deck: An arguement could be made that a deck is almost essential. I think Robbie blowing a few hundred on some crabs legs and waygu steaks qualifies for "blowing the dough" long before someone adding a deck to the back of their house does. My 2 cents.
Yeah, I like the spirit of that. It's more about the attitude you are spending it with, rather than the amount.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #470
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, a few hundred on stuff that won't even last a week...

But hey, it tastes so good!
Old 03-14-2021, 07:02 PM   #471

It's all relative to one's preferences. I would like to extend our deck another 4' out and put a permanent roof overhead. But the price of lumber is sky high right now. I wound also like to replace my ceramic tile floor with a luxury vinyl flooring. But, we entertain during the warmer months, and to tear up the first floor to remove the ceramic tile, woodwork, and repaint, is crazy. I'd like to upgrade the two upstairs bathrooms, the fiberglass shower/tubs are beginning to check, and I don't want any water damage. It all has to do with priorities and budget. if you got the cash, do what you gotta do, and postpone what you can.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #472
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
An arguement could be made that a deck is almost essential.
I agree. I have 700 feet of deck and a 986 sq. ft. house
Old 03-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #473
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm all for exotic foods. Gimme some wagyu and I'll flip it on the barbee. Gimme some Russian Ossetra and I'll creame fraiche it with some icy cold grey goose.

I got some snake river cap of ribeye in the freezer and a couple pounds of catalina grade fish.

But hey, I did a hundred grand on the landscape and the sheds too!

The fountain arrived on friday. It cost a grand.

Hey maybe that's the level eh? Over a grand.

Speaking of exotic foods, anyone try petrossian.com or goldbelly.com?

Or maybe Fauchon?
Old 03-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #474
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I got some very expensive (because rare now) smoked Lake Michigan chubs at goldbelly. Once plentiful and cheap, now rare and exotic.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
The conventional deck seems like the way to go. I understand your concerns about regular maintenance as that was one of mu concerns with our PT wood deck. If I could mention a product I used with terrific results because it is a bonding stain that will not peel and over a period of 11 years all I ever had to do was roll on another coat after washing the dirt off the original coat of stain.

Check out onetimewood.com - I have no financial or other interest in this just wanted to pass along something that worked for me and avoided the dreaded stripping and restaining process. All of our 3 daughters families have started using this after seeing the results and ease we had.
Thanks for the recommendation...here my (southern exposure) deck is in full sun so I picked wood again when it needed a rebuild..composite would have gotten too hot to walk on.

I picked a brick red, opaque stain since I liked that color on a neighbor's deck but it's flaking off after just a couple of years.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Thanks for the recommendation...here my (southern exposure) deck is in full sun so I picked wood again when it needed a rebuild..composite would have gotten too hot to walk on.

I picked a brick red, opaque stain since I liked that color on a neighbor's deck but it's flaking off after just a couple of years.
Yep, before I used the onetimewood product I always went thru the peeling stain issue and dreaded pressure washing/stripping but never after stripping and using their product.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:03 PM   #477
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, a few hundred on stuff that won't even last a week...

But hey, it tastes so good!
I think what counts is that "it tastes so good!" part. Some people might spend the same amount of money or even more, but if they don't get much pleasure out of the experience, it's money wanted IMO.

I'd say your money is very well spent!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #478
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Did a new leach field get installed as well? I suppose now you'll tell everyone your Chit don't stink. Ha!
Of course!

Heh heh heh - Grin.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #479
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Ryobi 18v tool combo kit today...drill, impact driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw, oscillating tool, and flashlight. I don't really need this as I have some older corded tools but the set is compact and everything fits in a bag so it's convenient if I want to take some tools to help someone on a project or to take to the cabin.

It had all the tools I want except for a jigsaw but I'll probably buy one separately to complete the set. It also came with a free Bluetooth speaker but I'm picky and disappointed with the sound quality so I'll just buy another speaker.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #480

You might want to look at their 18g cordless brad nailer as well. I've been very impressed with it. It goes on sale real cheap at the Orange Place from time to time when it is just the bare Ryobi tool. I got mine for C$88