Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #541
Recycles dryer sheets

While this was a BTD event, it's also a happiest moment candidate.

Decided to order a treat late last week, stone crab and Key West Pink shrimp from the place we've patronized in the lower keys on visits (they supply a lot of the restaurants as well). Haven't been for a few years.

Well, Thursday my order arrives, and it's missing the shrimp and has only about 75% of the crab! But the packer did add some smoked fish dip I hadn't ordered this time, but did last time, since they forgot my mustard sauce last time (he looked up my previous order). Sounds like they got some things out of order because I wasn't the first one to call in with an order error.

Tough to get on the phone that time of day, but I got a guy who handled the orders. Offered to give me money back or send another shipment my choice. The overnight shipping/packing is NOT cheap! I said I'd prefer to have the order, and he said fine.

So, Friday my supplemental order arrives. He threw in an extra 2 pounds of stone crab and a pound of shrimp (over my original order). And more fish dip and mustard sauce. Got about an extra $100 worth. Plus they paid the second shipping, which isn't cheap $100+. Needless to say I'm a happy camper.

Will be finishing off the stone crab and shrimp for dinner tonight (which happens to be my birthday, the reason I ordered in the first place, since it fell on Sunday I got it early). When I opened the second pack and weighed it, I told DW - "Happy Birthday TO ME!"

Have eaten a lot of shrimp and crab in the past 4 days, but not tired of it.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #542
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
While this was a BTD event, it's also a happiest moment candidate.

Decided to order a treat late last week, stone crab and Key West Pink shrimp from the place we've patronized in the lower keys on visits (they supply a lot of the restaurants as well). Haven't been for a few years.

Well, Thursday my order arrives, and it's missing the shrimp and has only about 75% of the crab! But the packer did add some smoked fish dip I hadn't ordered this time, but did last time, since they forgot my mustard sauce last time (he looked up my previous order). Sounds like they got some things out of order because I wasn't the first one to call in with an order error.

Tough to get on the phone that time of day, but I got a guy who handled the orders. Offered to give me money back or send another shipment my choice. The overnight shipping/packing is NOT cheap! I said I'd prefer to have the order, and he said fine.

So, Friday my supplemental order arrives. He threw in an extra 2 pounds of stone crab and a pound of shrimp (over my original order). And more fish dip and mustard sauce. Got about an extra $100 worth. Plus they paid the second shipping, which isn't cheap $100+. Needless to say I'm a happy camper.

Will be finishing off the stone crab and shrimp for dinner tonight (which happens to be my birthday, the reason I ordered in the first place, since it fell on Sunday I got it early). When I opened the second pack and weighed it, I told DW - "Happy Birthday TO ME!"

Have eaten a lot of shrimp and crab in the past 4 days, but not tired of it.
Sounds like they blew the dough.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #543
Give me a forum ...

Saatva king mattress. The "bed in the box" foam mattress wasn't really cutting it, plus GF and I found we didn't sleep as well here on my queen size vs her king size.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #544
Give me a forum ...

Van for travel or for business?

If for travel, does it have beds or a bathroom? Kitchenette?

Otherwise, why lug a large vehicle around if you're going to sleep in motels or hotels or Airbnbs?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #545
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Van for travel or for business?

If for travel, does it have beds or a bathroom? Kitchenette?

Otherwise, why lug a large vehicle around if you're going to sleep in motels or hotels or Airbnbs?
This is the BLOW THAT DOUGH thread - not the "practical RV'ing" thread. I did look at the Ford Transit Van as I always felt bad about hauling around kupuna in our CRV. I decided the Transit was just too big - it wouldn't fit in our parking structure.

Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:30 PM   #546
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been following this thread for a long time for some inspiration how to spend more, but never had much to report on my own, I guess I am still way too frugal and need more ideas from here. But DW in the last years discovered a clothing line that she really likes, which actually originated very close to here by a lady with the name Lilly Pulitzer (yes related to that family): https://www.lillypulitzer.com/ . They have several stores locally, and a whole bunch of online sales that the "Puli Crowd" regularly scavenges. DW likes them so much that we may soon need a new closet.

But we made a deal that if she gets these in the quantities she now does, she also has to wear them at home instead of "wearing out old work clothes" and saving the nice ones "to go out", as her own frugal instincts have told her to do for decades. So that way I can enjoy them too, and I have to say, many of their infinite variety of designs are quite pretty with their casual and cheerful tropical vibe.

On the other hand, I usually run around in "Fisherman's" shorts and short sleeved shirts from Walmart, around $10 each. They suit my fashion needs just fine, thank you. And try as I might, Lilly Pulitzer caters almost exclusively to women, talk about discrimination.
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #547
Give me a forum ...

Stone Crabs - You Rock Baby!

Been a long time. Next up as the season will be ending soon. Much cheaper to send the crabs to me compared to sending me to Florida.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #548

Wait, so you can't just go to the fancy food store in town and get stone crab from the fish counter, if you don't live in FL?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #549
Give me a forum ...

In pending talks with DH about a serious purchase. Stay tuned.......
Old 03-29-2021, 08:06 PM   #550
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

Been a long time. Next up as the season will be ending soon. Much cheaper to send the crabs to me compared to sending me to Florida.
Where do y'all get these bad boys?

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #551
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In pending talks with DH about a serious purchase. Stay tuned.......
Oh boy this is gonna be good! NEW SAILBOAT!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:11 PM   #552
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Oh boy this is gonna be good! NEW SAILBOAT!
Maybe! Or maybe NEW RV?
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #553

My BTD for today is a new truck. As I pointed out in another thread, I did get a really good trade on my 2-1/2 year old truck. I thought I'd drive it to the ground, but I just wanted a nicer, higher end vehicle. So timing was good with the trade and the current incentives and I pulled the trigger and got a GMC Sierra Denali. I should have done that at retirement. Instead, I thought I'd downgrade and it would be okay. Well, I can't describe how much better I like driving a well optioned vehicle. This is the type of car I leased during my working years. I guess one gets used to a certain level of vehicle and it's hard to go back.

At any rate, I do hope I drive this one at least until the extended warranty runs out (6yr/100K miles). It sure is a lot smoother ride and the stereo is impressive. Another feature I really like, silly as it may seem, is the memory for the seat position. I don't mind DW driving the truck (my vehicle) at all, but of course there's no way for her to put it back the way it was (she's sweet and tries). Now, push the button and the seat and mirrors are back where I like them. Also has keyless ignition, which I have come to like and missed. This is my second car with adaptive cruse control. I'm looking forward to taking a road trip with that again. It's not self driving, but it's a nice feature.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #554
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Wait, so you can't just go to the fancy food store in town and get stone crab from the fish counter, if you don't live in FL?
Nah, ain't no fancy fish counter out here on the left coast that has stone crabs
Old 03-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Where do y'all get these bad boys?
I always import them from some place on the internet in Florida.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #556
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Well, I don't know... COL is much lower than in CA, and there's plenty of space and suitable temps year round for the cool motorcycle in your profile pic.
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Sounds like they blew the dough.
Not really. Other than the shipping, which is pretty expensive, the actual food isn't that high. Stone crab claws probably have the highest mark up of any individual food item in the US. If you know a shrimper you can get 5 lbs of shrimp for about 10% of what they cost in the seafood market. I'll pull the heads off myself at that markup.

Plus they kept a satisfied customer, good for future marked up prices.

But as was previously stated, if you don't live in FL you have no other options.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #558
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah, ain't no fancy fish counter out here on the left coast that has stone crabs
Ours amazingly does often carry them. I usually asked for the still frozen ones.

They also have a bunch of different varieties of crab claws in the counter, including Dungeness!

But today I bought a whole gulf Red Snapper. It’s a beaut! I’m making Huachinango Veracruzano. A favorite. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huac...la_Veracruzana
Old 03-29-2021, 10:46 PM   #559
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of seafood, I told my wife that one year, I would take the RV and make a trip to the Gulf Coast, and linger for a while to eat all the seafood, particularly freshly caught shrimp until I decide I have enough. Was going to do it, but then Hurricane Harvey intervened, and then one thing and another, and the Covid.

I did make a quick RV run to New Orleans one year, but had to hurry back home for a scheduled major surgery. In fact, the reason for the pre-surgery mad-dash RV trip was that it could very well be my last RV trip.

Anyway, that was 8 years ago. I survived, and am doing well. I am still going to go camp out with my RV on the Gulf Coast to gorge myself one of these days, before I get too old.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:02 AM   #560
Give me a forum ...

Dungeness we have fresh and frozen in buckets here on the left. Even fresh and live if you want.

Sorry, no stones at the super. Must be nice!

No Grouper and no fresh gulf shrimp either. No flounder, but that's up a bit Atlantic.

We have sand dabs, a smaller cousin.