Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 02:44 AM   #561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Not really. Other than the shipping, which is pretty expensive, the actual food isn't that high. Stone crab claws probably have the highest mark up of any individual food item in the US. If you know a shrimper you can get 5 lbs of shrimp for about 10% of what they cost in the seafood market. I'll pull the heads off myself at that markup.

Plus they kept a satisfied customer, good for future marked up prices.

But as was previously stated, if you don't live in FL you have no other options.

I'm not sure where you live, and prices probably rise as you get further from the coasts. A few years ago I was selling shrimp, the price off the boat was $2.50 to $3.50 depending on size, 26/30 to 16/20s, 10/15s could go higher, we usually doubled the price for resale. If we got a good count shrimp we could do a little better. A few days ago, my wife checked on 10/15s and the wholesale price was $6, she declined and will wait for the price to drop.
Blue crab are good, to bad they are not the size of turkeys! I don't like picking them. We had a relative with a business that picked crab and put them in pints and quarts, that's the way to get and eat blue crab.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 05:12 AM   #562
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Being close to the gulf coast we get tons of locally caught great quality shrimp. Really great stuff. I always make sure to buy local.

Crazy thing is HEB even has their own shrimp fleet! Photos are displayed at our seafood counter. I had no idea until I looked at all the pictures hung overhead one day.

I’d have to drive 70+ miles to the Brownsville Ship Channel to buy directly from the shrimpers and so don’t bother. We used to buy directly from shrimp boats when visiting Corpus Christi or Rockport decades ago. I also remember wading out crabbing for blue crabs in my 20s. They were plentiful then, but I don’t think that’s true anymore.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #563
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely a Want versus a Need. I ordered a set of new golf clubs. Ping G425's. Cuz I wanted them.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I would take the RV and make a trip to the Gulf Coast, and linger for a while to eat all the seafood, particularly freshly caught shrimp until I decide I have enough.
That's my routine whenever I go to Nova Scotia. Specifically lobster.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #565
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, that’s us in the Pacific Northwest! I think we visited the oyster and clam farm near Friday Harbor 4 times to eat raw and grilled oysters there, and still brought clams back to the condo for dinner.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's my routine whenever I go to Nova Scotia. Specifically lobster.
In our RV trip to the Canadian Maritimes provinces a few years ago, we did 2 lobster dinners with each having a lobster of more than 2 lbs. After 2 such lobsters, I decided that I had enough lobster for a while. It was for the fun of having it right there on the location, but I can buy live lobster from a tank at local markets.

It's the same with Dungeness crab. They sell live crabs in fish tank here, so that's no big deal.

But, in a trip to Washington state, while staying in Copalis Beach, we visited a fish market called Lytle that I found on Yelp. The idea was to get some clams, and I happened to also spot some sturgeon steak in their glass case. My eyes lit right up! How often can you get surgeon in a market? I had sturgeon once before at a downtown restaurant in Portland, and still remembered it.

Needless to say, that evening I cooked up a nice seafood dinner at the timeshare we stayed at.

Now, they say that fresh Gulf shrimp is something you need to experience, and I have yet to do that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #567

Quote:
It's the same with Dungeness crab. They sell live crabs in fish tank here, so that's no big deal.
Ah, another of my favorite things. A great memory is from a cruise on a small ship we took through southeast Alaska some years ago. One evening for dinner they offered "all you can eat" Dungeness crabs. After everyone else had finished, there were two of us still enjoying our crabs while our wives looked on in embarrassed amazement. We rarely get them around here, so it's always a treat, but eating regional seafood in its own area has always been a special favorite thing of mine. I grew up on the east coast and went deep sea fishing every chance I got.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #568
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In pending talks with DH about a serious purchase. Stay tuned.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Oh boy this is gonna be good! NEW SAILBOAT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe! Or maybe NEW RV?

Maybe! Or maybe a NEW PHONE?

My old one recently died of old age. And when I got a replacement I got the top of the line model. Cost 3 times what my old phone had. 3 years ago. Whao!
Old 03-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #569
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now, they say that fresh Gulf shrimp is something you need to experience, and I have yet to do that.
It’s interesting. I’ve lived near enough to the Texas gulf coast all my life to have plenty of great gulf shrimp. But once we stayed on the Alabama coast, and they had a very different gulf shrimp there. I think “Reds” was in the name. It was delicious. I’ve also had terrific shrimp from the GA coast (Atlantic).
Old 03-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #570
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Maybe! Or maybe a NEW PHONE?

My old one recently died of old age. And when I got a replacement I got the top of the line model. Cost 3 times what my old phone had. 3 years ago. Whao!
Yikes! That had to be a shock.

I bowed out of the expensive phone market when my iPhone 5 cratered, four years ago. Then I got my present LG phone free as a sign-up bonus when I changed providers. It's fine and free is always good.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #571

Royal reds. We had them in Panama City Beach, as well as Gulf Shores.

Almost like eating a lobster tail.

Locally, in STL we can buy frozen Argentinian reds at Fresh Thyme. Not as good, but not bad.
Quote:
It’s interesting. I’ve lived near enough to the Texas gulf coast all my life to have plenty of great gulf shrimp. But once we stayed on the Alabama coast, and they had a very different gulf shrimp there. I think “Reds” was in the name. It was delicious. I’ve also had terrific shrimp from the GA coast (Atlantic).
Old 03-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #572
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Royal reds. We had them in Panama City Beach, as well as Gulf Shores.

Almost like eating a lobster tail.
Thank you! Yes, that’s it. We were in Gulf Shores. We don’t get Royal Reds in the western Gulf.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #573
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
My BTD Covid purchases for the last year:
iMac 27-inch, 3.7GHz 6-Core intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Apple Watch Series 6
Air Pods Pro
Knit Stars5 (online education of advanced knitting techniques)
all new baking pans (King Arthur, of course), flour, and other supplies
new clothes (dropped twenty pounds)
yarn, yarn, yarn
IceBug GoreTex running shoes
Women's Crosstown Leather Hoodie Jacket - Carbon2Cobalt
2018 Honda HRV for DW

I also sold:
FatBike - I found I was skiing rather than bicycle riding in winter.
Wonder Washer - it didn't work for felting as I thought it would
Snow tires for DW traded in Prius
Old 03-31-2021, 10:37 AM   #574
Give me a forum ...

DH bought a new Snapper electric mower, no more gas smell!
Old 03-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #575
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I always import them from some place on the internet in Florida.
+1...

There are a few easily found places to choose from on the internet. Place I chose was just because I had been in their retail outlet. Also, you need a way to crack them. Some folks just use a mallet, but I blew some dough last year to buy a shell cracker/shucker, makes it easier. If you are buying local, they will crack them but suggest only doing that if you are consuming that day.

Few pieces of info re stone crabs... you just get the claws, almost positive it is illegal to keep the whole crab. Fishermen catch them, clip a claw (assuming they have two), and return the crab to the water. They will regrow the claw, so this promotes sustainability. It is also why you don't see them elsewhere in even a high end market, they can't transport live crab.

The ones I got were Florida Stone Crab, so guess what, they don't have them on the west cost. Or much of anywhere but FL. There might be some in other places on the Gulf or up the Atlantic coast, but could be cousins?!?!

Can't say how many days they last, but typically we eat any ordered in 2-3 days. Think it's OK up to several days, maybe a week, but with a day of shipping and maybe caught the day before, you have 2-3 day old crab by the time it reaches you. I haven't frozen them, though I've ready you can do that. They are sold cooked.

Happy eating RobbieB!

Should add... minimum 1 lb per person per serving for a meal, some folks will do 1 1/2 lbs. This is due to waste from the shell, yield is under 50%. Also, I read something once that the smaller size, which cost less per lb, presumably due to more shells to crack to get the same amount of meat, are more cost effective. I just sort of balance the price, and take a shot. Also depends on what's available, the jumbos can be hard to come by, so large is typical. Though you could go medium and save a few $ (not the point of this thread!) and get more practice cracking.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #576
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
My BTD Covid purchases for the last year:
iMac 27-inch, 3.7GHz 6-Core intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Apple Watch Series 6
Air Pods Pro
Knit Stars5 (online education of advanced knitting techniques)
all new baking pans (King Arthur, of course), flour, and other supplies
new clothes (dropped twenty pounds)
yarn, yarn, yarn
IceBug GoreTex running shoes
Women's Crosstown Leather Hoodie Jacket - Carbon2Cobalt
2018 Honda HRV for DW

I also sold:
FatBike - I found I was skiing rather than bicycle riding in winter.
Wonder Washer - it didn't work for felting as I thought it would
Snow tires for DW traded in Prius
Nice list.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:44 PM   #577
Recycles dryer sheets

We get our 2nd Covid shot in 2 weeks and have not had a proper vacation in well over a year so we booked a trip to Belize in 4 weeks!

Also ordered a mini-split HVAC for my hobby woodworking shop to keep me comfortable year round.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #578
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, as I mentioned, being in a landlocked state I can still get live Dungeness crab and live lobster from tanks at supermarkets. But has anyone seen live shrimp in fish tanks anywhere?

I ran across frozen Gulf shrimp occasionally here, but fresh unfrozen shrimp is something I have not had. Maybe it's no big deal, or my dull palate may not be able to differentiate, but I still want to taste it to see.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-31-2021, 04:14 PM   #579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, as I mentioned, being in a landlocked state I can still get live Dungeness crab and live lobster from tanks at supermarkets. But has anyone seen live shrimp in fish tanks anywhere?

I ran across frozen Gulf shrimp occasionally here, but fresh unfrozen shrimp is something I have not had. Maybe it's no big deal, or my dull palate may not be able to differentiate, but I still want to taste it to see.
IMO freezing shrimp is no big deal as long as it is immediately frozen. It does change the color of the shell, but I don't think the flavor changes, and it can actually test fresher that way.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #580

For the record, the Royal Reds are frozen on the ship. They are a deep water shrimp, caught at over 1000` deep. The fish monger in PCB told us you can`t buy them fresh, or with heads. Her story checked out on the internet. But boy are they tasty.
Quote:
IMO freezing shrimp is no big deal as long as it is immediately frozen. It does change the color of the shell, but I don't think the flavor changes, and it can actually test fresher that way.
Closed Thread