Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmmm... We never thought about 24-hr live-in help. I wonder about the logistics of having someone living in our home for a couple of months.
How much help do you get now?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #662
Full time employment: Posting here.

This discussion has me chuckling. When DH and I married (1980), my parents were not pleased with my choice.

DH's parents drove to AR from MA for the wedding.... A major strike against DH was his home state - YANKEE).

The day of the wedding, future MIL casually asked how many acres my parents owned.

Oh.My.Goodness.

While I did not witness this faux pas, my mom was quick to relay it to me. She thought that was more than enough reason to call off the wedding.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #663
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How much help do you get now?

My MIL has COPD. She's mobile with a walker, goes to the bathroom by herself, and can feed herself. However, her mind is not sharp, and we cannot be sure of her remembering to drag the oxygen tube with her when moving about.

When seating still, she can manage without the oxygen cannula, and her oxgen level is in the low 90s. But just making a few steps, and her oxygen level can drop to below 80. Yet, she does not remember to constantly monitor herself with the finger oximeter.

Hence, my wife is afraid of her fainting for lack of oxygen, falling and breaking her bones, and just laying there on the floor until someone discovers her.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #664
Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound >> That is rough to watch loved ones get old. Your MIL is very fortunate to have you folks helping her. You both should be commended for your sacrifices you are doing.

If I may ask, was she a smoker?
Old 04-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #665
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My MIL has COPD. She's mobile with a walker, goes to the bathroom by herself, and can feed herself. However, her mind is not sharp, and we cannot be sure of her remembering to drag the oxygen tube with her when moving about.

When seating still, she can manage without the oxygen cannula, and her oxgen level is in the low 90s. But just making a few steps, and her oxygen level can drop to below 80. Yet, she does not remember to constantly monitor herself with the finger oximeter.

Hence, my wife is afraid of her fainting for lack of oxygen, falling and breaking her bones, and just laying there on the floor until someone discovers her.
You can hire sitters. You can even hire round the clock sitters.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #666
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm... We never thought about 24-hr live-in help. I wonder about the logistics of having someone living in our home for a couple of months.
Due diligence is critical. We've never had live-in help but have OFTEN allowed folks to use our place - a whole summer at a time while we were on the mainland. We either knew these people or knew them by reputation from others. When our clergyman was on sabbatical, we had a couple stay who filled in. Saved a lot of money at church that way. We got to know the folks through communications though only met them once. Now, here was the downside. DW is VERY fussy about where things are placed (from furniture to the coffee maker.) Our guests (the wife, I'm sure) rearranged much of the house - and didn't put it back. DW was at first livid. I reminded her that (my saying) "If it didn't cost you anything to help someone - you didn't actually DO anything for them." She settled down when she thought about it. Of course, it was my back that suffered the most, heh, heh.

Another time, a couple we knew very well (about our age) asked if their son and DIL could use the place for the summer. We knew them a bit and said yes. We didn't realize they were bringing their 4 girls with them - 2 BR, 2 bath. We didn't have enough beds but had a couple of mattresses that they put on the floor in the LR. We wouldn't have known they brought their kids except they were in an accident - not their fault but the report indicated 6 people (in a car with 5 seat belts - fortunately, no citation so no increase in insurance rate.) Then we also found 2 or 3 different sized bras, blouses, etc. (pretty much a $15 USPS shipping box full of stuff) left by the girls. Again, DW was upset, but I reminded her of my saying and she settled down.

My point - a great house guest will still get on your nerves occasionally (your spouse does it, so why wouldn't a guest or live-in.) Choose wisely or YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #667
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Yes, my MIL was a smoker. She did not smoke a lot after I knew her, but I don't know how heavily she smoked in her youth.

Yes, you can hire 24/7 live-in sitters. But there's the other thing that Koolau mentioned.

And how can you be sure that the sitter does not just goof off texting, or playing computer games, or chatting on some forums, instead of watching MIL, while you are on your 2-month RV trip or European trip? Maybe the sitter just calls friends over and has a heck of a party in my backyard pool?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-09-2021, 09:13 PM   #668
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^^^ Yes, my MIL was a smoker. She did not smoke a lot after I knew her, but I don't know how heavily she smoked in her youth.

Yes, you can hire 24/7 live-in sitters. But there's the other thing that Koolau mentioned.

And how can you be sure that the sitter does not just goof off texting, or playing computer games, or chatting on some forums, instead of watching MIL, while you are on your 2-month RV trip or European trip? Maybe the sitter just calls friends over and has a heck of a party in my backyard pool?
Benjamin, I have just one word for you (okay 2 words for NW-Bound) Nanny Cam. See https://www.amazon.com/nanny-cam/s?k=nanny+cam

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #669
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was talking about having sitters when you are there. And not necessarily live-in sitters. Multiple sitters that do shifts. You can build up. You can go through an agency. Gain experience before even considering taking short trips at first.

Is MIL under hospice care being that elderly and frail?
Old 04-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #670
Give me a forum ...

No, we do not need sitters while we are at home. At this point, MIL can mostly take care of herself, but needs someone to look out for her and to remind her of her COPD condition.

Three years ago, she temporarily passed out for lack of oxygen, and fell. One good thing we were home to hear that "thunk", discover her on the floor and call 911. She was large-boned, but skinny now, and that saved her from breaking bones in that fall. That event was when she was first diagnosed with COPD.

Her COPD condition varies. She was able to wean off the oxygen concentrator for a while, then worsened and ended up in the ICU once more. After that bout, she again recovered, and was able to move about without the cannula.

Then, two weeks ago, we noticed that she was short of breath and was low in oxygen again. Back to wearing the cannula and being tethered to the oxygen concentrator. Left to herself, she would not know of her low-oxygen condition, and would pass out again and fall.

No, she's not under hospice care and does not have any other life-threatening condition, but at 94-year-old, simply does not have the physical and mental facilities that we take for granted.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:08 PM   #671
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, we do not need sitters while we are at home. At this point, MIL can mostly take care of herself, but needs someone to look out for her and to remind her of her COPD condition.

Three years ago, she temporarily passed out for lack of oxygen, and fell. One good thing we were home to hear that "thunk", discover her on the floor and call 911. She was large-boned, but skinny now, and that saved her from breaking bones in that fall. That event was when she was first diagnosed with COPD.

Her COPD condition varies. She was able to wean off the oxygen concentrator for a while, then worsened and ended up in the ICU once more. After that bout, she again recovered, and was able to move about without the cannula.

Then, two weeks ago, we noticed that she was short of breath and was low in oxygen again. Back to wearing the cannula and being tethered to the oxygen concentrator. Left to herself, she would not know of her low-oxygen condition, and would pass out again and fall.

No, she's not under hospice care and does not have any other life-threatening condition, but at 94-year-old, simply does not have the physical and mental facilities that we take for granted.
It's unfortunate but true that most COPD sufferers will go from crisis to crisis. A lot of it is improper O2 management - though at some point, no amount is enough. If she's using a concentrator, I THINK (don't quote me) pure O2 from a tank will get her further along in the process. I did know a guy who died when his O2 tank ran dry and he couldn't change tanks quickly enough.

My mom had to use O2 and (as her doctor said) was 'fortunate' to eventually get pneumonia and go out quick. The doctor called pneumonia "The old person's friend." The nursing home (with Dr.'s approval) was ready to give her a shot if she became uncomfortable, but she went very quickly and quietly. It was a life well lived and and death to celebrate. May it be so for all our loved ones.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:12 PM   #672
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My mom had to use O2 and (as her doctor said) was 'fortunate' to eventually get pneumonia and go out quick. The doctor called pneumonia "The old person's friend."
+1

Nuf said.

PS. Back on MIL's condition, her pulmonary doctor was amazed of her recovery, after 2 bouts of ICU. Said he had not had a patient like her.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Back on "Blow the Dough", MIL is broke, but if she were rich, what would she blow her dough on? A gold-plated oxygen concentrator?

Even I don't find anything that I crave to "blow the dough" on. Yes, I still want to go camp out in my RV by the sea and eat fresh seafood, but that does not take that much dough.

And I cannot do that yet.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:49 PM   #674
Give me a forum ...

Are you sure?

I saw that the national parks are going to require reservations again this year and they're filling up fast if not done.

I don't know why people couldn't RV this year. Unless you come in close contact with strangers who are also RV'ing?

But yeah it doesn't take much dough. You'd be staying at hotels rather than in a tent or an RV.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:28 PM   #675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Are you sure?
You have not read my earlier post about my wife's care of her mother severely limiting her ability to leave the home.

I guess I can take off by myself if I really want to go somewhere, but having my wife with me is more fun.

PS. For last year, the plan was to do a 2-month RV trek around the Great Lakes. Then, in 2021 the plan was another 6 to 8 weeks around Scandinavian countries. If not Covid, the MIL's health keeps all that from happening.

Old 04-10-2021, 05:00 AM   #676
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Good for you. I have 4 down sleeping bags myself. Well 4 between the wife and I. They last forever. We bought 2 in 1996 to go out to the Tetons and the other 2 are even older. In fact one of them was the first thing I ever bought with my own money after having a summer job at 16. Bought it in 1976. Made by Gerry, a company I believe started by Gerry Roach a well known climber/mountaineer in the Colorado area. It was rated to 0 degrees so it hasn't been used too much since.
However the root cause of your gear "problem" is that a corvette doesn't make a very good camping vehicle. You really need to blow that dough and add an SUV to your fleet.
hahaha so true!!!! i bought a van primarily to use for camping and traveling. we use it when going somewhere, but for riding the mountains, i prefer the vette.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC250048.jpg (634.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20171116_155518.jpg (625.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-10-2021, 05:42 AM   #677
Moderator Emeritus

Woke up yesterday to a non functioning iPhone. So we went to the Apple store and got an iPhone 12 Pro with AppleCare. Blew a little dough there. Earlier in the week ordered a Specialized Como 3 bike for DW and an ebike bike rack for my truck.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:42 AM   #678
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
It's unfortunate but true that most COPD sufferers will go from crisis to crisis. A lot of it is improper O2 management - though at some point, no amount is enough. If she's using a concentrator, I THINK (don't quote me) pure O2 from a tank will get her further along in the process. I did know a guy who died when his O2 tank ran dry and he couldn't change tanks quickly enough.

My mom had to use O2 and (as her doctor said) was 'fortunate' to eventually get pneumonia and go out quick. The doctor called pneumonia "The old person's friend." The nursing home (with Dr.'s approval) was ready to give her a shot if she became uncomfortable, but she went very quickly and quietly. It was a life well lived and and death to celebrate. May it be so for all our loved ones.

My mom had COPD (yes, she smoked) They put a large oxygen tank in her bedroom with a long tube. She also had a smaller tank. The large tank was for when the small tank ran out. She lived alone and I found she could not turn the round knob on the tank to open the valve. I made a long handle that fit over the round knob that gave her the leverage she needed to open the valve. I think it should be a product, I doubt she is the only one that had trouble opening the valve on a large oxygen tank. I even put an arrow on it so she got the direction right.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #679
Recycles dryer sheets

We put in a sunroom - enjoying a foggy morning today, so maybe it's a fog room?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunroom.jpg (696.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-10-2021, 06:51 AM   #680
Give me a forum ...

Very nice! Sun or fog.