Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #681
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I spent $1,600 building a sauna. Since I finished it, I've been doing sessions a day, a morning and a just before bed sauna. I haven't got my first electric bill or water bill yet. I've been taking cold showers after each sauna (first time in my life, I was always a hot as I can stand it shower guy) I expect on going electric costs related to the Sauna use. If I keep up the 2 times a day routine, it's near $1.20 a day for electricity.
Here's a picture, I hope to put a skin on the door and window in the door, but I'm pretty slow at additional work now that it is functional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sauna door installed.jpg (210.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Sauna inside seating 2.jpg (1.09 MB, 84 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Blow that fought, travel addition..
Old 04-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #682
Dryer sheet aficionado

Blow that fought, travel addition..

We've spent the entire winter living in Cape Town SA. We've been here five months, and we go on safari every six weeks or so.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmmm... We never thought about 24-hr live-in help. I wonder about the logistics of having someone living in our home for a couple of months.

I don’t know how it is where you live but it’s very common in parts of Florida and New York. A lot of older people, who can afford it, prefer to be in their home. My FIL did it for his wife when she came down with Alzheimer’s (two different shifts) and it can be cheaper than nursing home.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
hahaha so true!!!! i bought a van primarily to use for camping and traveling. we use it when going somewhere, but for riding the mountains, i prefer the vette.

Alright. You win. I'm sure the Vette is a lot more fun on the mountain roads.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Alright. You win. I'm sure the Vette is a lot more fun on the mountain roads.
I suspect he got the Off-Road version of the Corvette, with the air suspension upgrade...
Old 04-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #686

High end fresh fesh in Ohio is flown in on ice and sold often same day as part of the catch that remained for sale on the coast.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
High end fresh fesh in Ohio is flown in on ice and sold often same day as part of the catch that remained for sale on the coast.

Very true. I know two store owners in Cincinnati who pick up fresh fish to sell every morning at the airport. I'm sure they're not the only two.

Globalization has many benefits.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #688
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
I suspect he got the Off-Road version of the Corvette, with the air suspension upgrade...

Like dis?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #689
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Like dis?

The only time my Vette got that much ground clearance was when it left the ground a couple of times. Of course, that was 50 years ago. I (hope) it wouldn't happen now with any car, Vette or CRV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:46 PM   #690
Give me a forum ...

My Xterra has about the same ground clearance as the above high-lift Vette. It's not a crossover, but a true SUV with the subframe of a pickup truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
The only time my Vette got that much ground clearance was when it left the ground a couple of times. Of course, that was 50 years ago. I (hope) it wouldn't happen now with any car, Vette or CRV.

You meant like dis?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #691
Give me a forum ...

By the way, in case you wanted to buy the above high-rider 2020 Vette to blow some dough, you would have to have someone build it.

The photo above that I linked from the Web was the product of Photoshop.

And I checked the ground clearance of my stock Xterra. It's 10.3" .

Surprisingly, my class C motorhome ground clearance is less than the above at 8.5".

Old 04-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #692
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post

As part of the culture, you will discover rules of etiquette in rural life, that you never ask a rancher or farmer of how big of herd or how many acres they have.
When we lived in Paris, asking what street or neighborhood you lived in was very impolite.

Where you live implies a certain income level so even idle curiosity or just making conversation of such is viewed the same as asking how much money you make.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:45 PM   #693
Give me a forum ...

I know three people that bought ne 2021 corvettes. I beleive they where in the 60K range. I really like the looks of every vett's but I would never have one. Mostly because I'm not a car person and autos aren't something I crave to have.

I can say they are hard on a persons body if you have to ride in one for 500 miles in one sitting.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #694
Give me a forum ...

Not just the Vette, which I have not been in, but I cannot see myself driving any sedan now.

Even my mother's Accord or my son's Audi seat feels so low to me. It feels like driving a Formula One car to me (not that I have been or want to be in one), and it's uncomfortable.

I feel much more comfortable with the seat of a minivan, SUV, or a pickup truck. Why would I spend a lot of money to torture myself?

Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #695
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I know three people that bought ne 2021 corvettes. I beleive they where in the 60K range. I really like the looks of every vett's but I would never have one. Mostly because I'm not a car person and autos aren't something I crave to have.

I can say they are hard on a persons body if you have to ride in one for 500 miles in one sitting.
I'd love to have a C8 Corvette, but it will never happen. I still love cars, but from "afar" now.

Quote:
Not just the Vette, which I have not been in, but I cannot see myself driving any sedan now.

Even my mother's Accord or my son's Audi seat feels so low to me. It feels like driving a Formula One car to me (not that I have been or want to be in one), and it's uncomfortable.

I feel much more comfortable with the seat of a minivan, SUV, or a pickup truck. Why would I spend a lot of money to torture myself?

I still love my early 00's Buick LeSabre sedan. I haven't done a super long trip it in for several years but I DID once drive it from St. Augustine FL to Chicago in one day (stop for gas and food.) No ill effects. My Rav4 SUV doesn't hold a candle to it on comfort (or gas mileage!) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #696
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Exactly how you sit! A guys butt is only ~6 inches off of the road way. Lol

I forgot I had another friend and his wife as last week take their vette to Denver (~ 650 miles one way) to go to a wedding. That is one trip I wouldn't want to do in a vette. I can hardly get in one or out of one and sore and stiff when I do. Lol Beautiful cars thou!!
Old 04-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #697
Give me a forum ...

Regular cars freak me out. I feel like my butt is dragging down the road. Since we bought our first SUV late 90s we got used to sitting up higher. We even started only renting intermediate SUVs when DF started complaining about how hard it was to get in and out of my sister’s car. He was used to his truck.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #698
Give me a forum ...

I love my Impala. Nice big car.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:14 AM   #699
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I spent $1,600 building a sauna. Since I finished it, I've been doing sessions a day, a morning and a just before bed sauna. I haven't got my first electric bill or water bill yet. I've been taking cold showers after each sauna (first time in my life, I was always a hot as I can stand it shower guy) I expect on going electric costs related to the Sauna use. If I keep up the 2 times a day routine, it's near $1.20 a day for electricity.
Here's a picture, I hope to put a skin on the door and window in the door, but I'm pretty slow at additional work now that it is functional.
That looks really nice, is it in your basement ?
Old 04-12-2021, 06:32 AM   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That looks really nice, is it in your basement ?
It is located on our screened porch. I built it like a kit, I can take it apart in sections, in case I move or find I don't use it and want to sell it. For the first three weeks I have used it everyday.

When I'm ready to really "Blow that Dough" it will be a windowed porch. It has 11 screens, so it will need 11 large windows.
Closed Thread