Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went with an all natural latex mattress several years ago. Bought online at Plush beds with a 100 night free trial. Still love it. Has a 1" wool top layer (of course hidden below the all natural cotton outer layer)that is breathable and a fire retardant and the mattress is 10' thick all natural latex. You can order in any firmness you want and at around $2000 it was well worth it. Plus they last more than twice as long as spring style mattresses which eventually sag and you're not sleeping on the same one you bought only a few years earlier. This doesn't seem to change nor sag at all.
Don't like memory foam because I feel like you are sleeping on a crime scene chalk outline when you get up. Also no where near as breathable and cool.

$6.3K to replace our Sleep Number mattress. We bought our top of the line SN 3.5 years ago. Purchased the split bed and dislike it intensely as the 'cuddle factor' is a 1 rather than 10. So today we dropped $6.3K to purchase a partial split mattress...the bottom foot portion is one piece and the top is separate to allow individual head positions. So our new bead cost us $16.3K :facepalm:...ouch.

Ahhhh - a great night's sleep with a largely improved cuddle factor; sounds worth it to me!

We went with an all natural latex mattress several years ago. Bought online at Plush beds with a 100 night free trial. Still love it. Has a 1" wool top layer (of course hidden below the all natural cotton outer layer)that is breathable and a fire retardant and the mattress is 10' thick all natural latex. You can order in any firmness you want and at around $2000 it was well worth it. Plus they last more than twice as long as spring style mattresses which eventually sag and you're not sleeping on the same one you bought only a few years earlier. This doesn't seem to change nor sag at all.
Don't like memory foam because I feel like you are sleeping on a crime scene chalk outline when you get up. Also no where near as breathable and cool.

You have a 10 foot thick mattress? WOW! How tall is the ceiling in your bedroom? :LOL:

Last edited:
Okay, get this: Getting ready to spend nearly $3K to tear out the bushes and such we have running along the front and sides of our home in put in irises. What guy spends $3K for FLOWERS:confused: :D DW will really love 'em, though. ;)

We had our Garage Floor resurfaced with a Polyurea Coating (Not Epoxy). $800. After a couple of days it needed a touch up, but the vendor is honoring the 15year warranty, so all good.

You have a 10 foot thick mattress? WOW! How tall is the ceiling in your bedroom? :LOL:

Maybe it will be like the razor thing.
You know the marketing guys sit around and say. " I don't know what else we can do with these razors to make people want to be impressed and buy more.
Hey I know if 2 blades are good and 3 is better maybe we should put 4, heck let's leapfrog the competition and put 5 blades in there"
"You know if a 10 inch mattress is good lets take it up several notches and convince people that 10 feet is the ultimate in comfort.":)

We've just ordered a bed-in-a-box, the Helix Midnight Luxe. Online only, but gets good reviews for the type of bed we want.

We'll have 100 nights to try it and free returns if it doesn't work out. It was our #1 pick after lots of searching, but we have several also-rans to cycle through and play goldilocks if it comes to it, with no risk as all the on-lines do the 100 night thing now.

We have a similar brand but came in a box and all foam layers. I put the correct frame under it. We love it. :cool:

Although I love the blow that dough mantra, I can't help but look at the amounts here and think that would buy a lot of melatonin. I can't sleep on the ground anymore but don't need much more than that. It's the getting to a relaxed mental state that is the challenge for me.

It's the getting to a relaxed mental state that is the challenge for me.

Me too! It Takes on average about an hour for me to stop all the randomized sleep preventing thoughts from wizzing around. From Solving world peace to fixing that damn AC Capacitor, or the hose that fills the drain barrel, or should I take SS before 70?.

Me too! It Takes on average about an hour for me to stop all the randomized sleep preventing thoughts from wizzing around. From Solving world peace to fixing that damn AC Capacitor, or the hose that fills the drain barrel, or should I take SS before 70?.

I think it generally takes me about 60 seconds to fall asleep. I'm not complaining.;)

We're looking at replacing our 24 year old guest bedroom bed. Want to get a decent quality but don't want to BTD for the occasional guests. Will look into latex.

Okay, get this: Getting ready to spend nearly $3K to tear out the bushes and such we have running along the front and sides of our home in put in irises. What guy spends $3K for FLOWERS:confused: :D DW will really love 'em, though. ;)

And so will you!!! We spent a fortune relandscaping and the ongoing gardening, most of which i do, is BTD territory. DH complains, but absolutely loves it as do I.

Ahhhh - a great night's sleep with a largely improved cuddle factor; sounds worth it to me!

Agree 100%. Didn't think twice about replacing the mattress. Love our SN, but dislike the mattress style. DH is relaxing upstairs in zero gravity mode. Priceless :dance:.

We're looking at replacing our 24 year old guest bedroom bed. Want to get a decent quality but don't want to BTD for the occasional guests. Will look into latex.
This is the one we have. Extremely happy with it. Latex is not inexpensive compared to many other categories but well worth it to us.
https://www.plushbeds.com/products/the-botanical-bliss-organic-latex-mattress?variant=18770039275618
two great sites for mattress reviews etc
https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/
https://www.themattressunderground.com/

We have a similar brand but came in a box and all foam layers. I put the correct frame under it. We love it. :cool:

A lot of the newer ones are a mix. They have a bunch of layers, including a layer of coils, then foam and other stuff. Hybrid basically. DH has lower back issues, and our tempurpedic is well past the expiry date, and we're going from a queen to a king as well.

Just getting the new bed/frame was the hardest part... of course after looking at all the king beds in the world I have my heart set on one that has had its delivery date delayed 3x already... so we'll make do with a simple frame for the interim.

I've been avoiding the thread due to its bad influence --- but are those sleep number beds the thing? Just spent $3.5K on a S&F and that caused panic attacks. Can't imagine 10 to 15K (although I saw some like that).

Also ordered a new sectional -- lead time was like 4 1/2 months!

Made an appointment with my landscaper for a new backyard design. I fear the bill.

Even without watching the thread, I'm keeping up, so I might as well keep following along.

If you figure out that World Peace solution, please let those in power know! I am 73 and have been waiting/hoping for World Peace for at least 65+ years already.

As for beds, I have a 19 year old king sized Serta (or is it S&F?) and it is just perfect. I am never as comfortable in any other bed. For some unexplainable reason it doesn't seem to have deteriorated at all, over the years, so I am not shopping for a new bed, at least not yet. I bought it on sale for a very low price (maybe under $1000? not much anyway) back in 2002.

I thought of buying a Tempur-pedic about 10 years ago, when my DD got one and raved about it. I even went to a mattress store and tried one out, and it seemed pretty nice. But then I figured I'd have to buy a new bed (instead of my present plain metal bed frame with head board), and that would mean a new bedroom set entirely. The hypothetical costs kept mounting so I ditched that dumb idea.

I've been avoiding the thread due to its bad influence --- but are those sleep number beds the thing? Just spent $3.5K on a S&F and that caused panic attacks. Can't imagine 10 to 15K (although I saw some like that).

... ...

Don't know if they're a thing, but we got ours due to necessity. I had been waking up with back aches for some time so we knew it was time for a new bed. Was planning on the usual. Then I developed some hip issues that caused excruciating pain and I couldn't sleep more than 1 hour at a time w/o waking and having to deal with the pain. Off to Sleep Number we went and the super softness allowed me to sleep a little better. Now that I'm healed, both DH and I are back to our normal medium to firm settings. Did I mention we love the bed :LOL:. If I had to make the decision now, I would put more time into research.

I really don’t see this happening as folks here are too busy doing their own thing to pay attention to what the Jones’s are doing. However it definitely seems to inspire a few to loosen the purse strings a bit.

Yes, I come here to counteract my insecurity about spending for what I consider large wants rather than needs. I have to also say my mantra repeatedly, "We HAVE the money. Relax."

Yeah, once you’ve achieved a big enough nest egg, you can stop carefully spending only on “needs”, and instead looking at your life priorities and how best to fund them.

I wonder what happens to all the returned 100 night trial mattresses :confused:

Do they just steam them and wrap them for the next person ? or donate ?

Donate. It is not legal in the US to re-sell a returned mattress. One of the companies specifically says on their site that your return will be processed by a donation, and they will arrange local pick up from the donation center directly (goodwill, habitat etc.).

Most of the companies we looked at also ask that you keep and try the mattress for a full 30 days before asking to return, to ensure it's broken in and you've adjusted before you decide.

I had been waking up with back aches for some time so we knew it was time for a new bed.

Exactly! I can fall asleep on anything anywhere anytime. But I want to wake up many hours later feeling good, not worse than when I went to bed. When that starts happening, and your mattress is 10-15 or more years old, a new one is due.

In our case, we're also upgrading to a King size and redoing the bedroom completely. What we had currently was all picked out by DH before we met, and was never something I would have picked...so I've been more than patient!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom