Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First time posting to this thread. But, I figured this probably qualifies. I bought a BOAT. It's in caps because, as I've learned, it's not a "thing", it's an "acronym": Break Out Another Thousand. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, spending almost every weekend on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 912D1EF1-F4F2-4B6B-A5BE-4967CBD84EE7_1_201_a.jpg (382.2 KB, 105 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #922
Moderator Emeritus

Now that’s a boat!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:00 PM   #923
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's a nice boat!

Now, you've got to post about your cruising the bay and fishing trips. Can you take it up the coast?

PS. I know nothing about boats. I do know that they guzzle a lot of fuel, hence the range may be limited depending on the fuel tanks.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:07 PM   #924

Wow!
Way out of my league but I just know you'll enjoy the heck out of it for years to come. Congratulations!
Old 05-31-2021, 03:25 PM   #925

Gah!

Going backwards.

Sold boat.

Gah!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #926

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That's a nice boat!

Now, you've got to post about your cruising the bay and fishing trips. Can you take it up the coast?

PS. I know nothing about boats. I do know that they guzzle a lot of fuel, hence the range may be limited depending on the fuel tanks.
Yes, they do guzzle fuel; it gets ~1mi/gal @ cruising speed. She holds 700 gal of diesel so, my practical cruising range is 550-600 miles with some reserve. It will travel up/down the coast but, it's not a 'round the world' boat like some of the larger trawlers (more fuel efficient & much more fuel capacity). I bought her in Marina Del Rey and came up the coast to SF Bay. My credit card almost melted when I filled up before the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Wow!
Way out of my league but I just know you'll enjoy the heck out of it for years to come. Congratulations!
Thanks. I've spent a fair amount of time on boats but, believe it or not, this is my first 'owned' boat. I wanted something big enough to live on (edging toward that) but, it had to be affordable for someone who's not a gazillionaire. So, that meant a high quality, older boat that's seen a lot of love. I looked for 6-9 mos with a great yacht broker and found this one; now named (properly renamed) "3 Roys."
Old 05-31-2021, 03:36 PM   #927
Give me a forum ...

Very nice! Yeah unity gas mileage. Some friends of my parents back in Detroit bought a 38 foot ChrisCraft powered by (2) 327 cu-in chevys and it got 1g/mi (or 1 mi/g) also.

Have big fun!
Old 05-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #928
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Gah!

Going backwards.

Sold boat.

Gah!
Hopefully it wasn't your second happiest day owning the boat.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #929
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
First time posting to this thread. But, I figured this probably qualifies. I bought a BOAT. It's in caps because, as I've learned, it's not a "thing", it's an "acronym": Break Out Another Thousand. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, spending almost every weekend on it.
Beautiful boat. Enjoy.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:45 PM   #930
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, they do guzzle fuel; it gets ~1mi/gal @ cruising speed. She holds 700 gal of diesel so, my practical cruising range is 550-600 miles with some reserve. It will travel up/down the coast but, it's not a 'round the world' boat like some of the larger trawlers (more fuel efficient & much more fuel capacity). I bought her in Marina Del Rey and came up the coast to SF Bay. My credit card almost melted when I filled up before the journey.

Thanks. I've spent a fair amount of time on boats but, believe it or not, this is my first 'owned' boat. I wanted something big enough to live on (edging toward that) but, it had to be affordable for someone who's not a gazillionaire. So, that meant a high quality, older boat that's seen a lot of love. I looked for 6-9 mos with a great yacht broker and found this one; now named (properly renamed) "3 Roys."
I'm flashing back to the days of Dory 36 and his exploits. I'd never want to live on a boat, but Dory made it sound glamorous. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:50 PM   #931

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Very nice! Yeah unity gas mileage. Some friends of my parents back in Detroit bought a 38 foot ChrisCraft powered by (2) 327 cu-in chevys and it got 1g/mi (or 1 mi/g) also.

Have big fun!
Mine is similar with two Detroit Diesel 8V71Ts powering her.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:59 PM   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Hopefully it wasn't your second happiest day owning the boat.
Nah, the boat was nice, but I had not fully considered the level of effort of even moving up to 24' center console - lots of work.

The Admiral decided she didn't like the role of First Officer, either ... nor the cleanup at the marina :-). And, she had zero interest in offshore (50 mile) fishing in any size boat. Been out a few time with buddies - lots of work :-)

So, gonna rethink and get smaller boat I can more happily manage by myself ...

Finally, I know those herein will be interested - resale prices in my area on boats are so high, I can replace it with a new one for what I sold it for. Gotta drive a few hours, though, and wait a few months.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #933

Quote:
Finally, I know those herein will be interested - resale prices in my area on boats are so high, I can replace it with a new one for what I sold it for. Gotta drive a few hours, though, and wait a few months.
Same here. Boats are going for over asking and my yacht broker just told me he's out of inventory at the moment.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:08 PM   #934

When I bought my boat three years ago, the dealers in my area were "near criminal" in their approach to commodity boats like mine. I refused to participate and found an honest, fair margin dealer in NC - great guy, fair and great with any follow-up.

The local dealers weren't even going to kiss me.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:21 PM   #935
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah, the boat was nice, but I had not fully considered the level of effort of even moving up to 24' center console - lots of work.

The Admiral decided she didn't like the role of First Officer, either ... nor the cleanup at the marina :-). And, she had zero interest in offshore (50 mile) fishing in any size boat. Been out a few time with buddies - lots of work :-)

So, gonna rethink and get smaller boat I can more happily manage by myself ...

Hmmm. I would have thought the Admiral would have simply said "You're gonna need a bigger boat!" I guess YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #936

She did say, you need a bigger boat and staff to take care of it.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #937
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, they do guzzle fuel; it gets ~1mi/gal @ cruising speed. She holds 700 gal of diesel so, my practical cruising range is 550-600 miles with some reserve. It will travel up/down the coast but, it's not a 'round the world' boat like some of the larger trawlers (more fuel efficient & much more fuel capacity). I bought her in Marina Del Rey and came up the coast to SF Bay. My credit card almost melted when I filled up before the journey...
You are retired, so there's no need to go fast, particularly if you are going on a long trip. Going slower may improve your fuel mileage by 2x or 3x perhaps? I was thinking about the possibility of going up to the Puget Sound and further to Vancouver Island.

However, the SF Bay is big enough to explore, plus there's Dungeness crab there to catch without going further north.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:44 PM   #938
Give me a forum ...

For me it's easier and cheaper. The Delta is 10 miles away (marina with slips) and all that's needed is a outboard fishing boat.

And I don't mean a 200 HP Bass boat.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #939

Huston55 >>> Wow, now that is a boat!! You deserve the title of Captain.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #940
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations! She’s a beauty.