Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 09:59 PM   #941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
First time posting to this thread. But, I figured this probably qualifies. I bought a BOAT. It's in caps because, as I've learned, it's not a "thing", it's an "acronym": Break Out Another Thousand. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, spending almost every weekend on it.
That looks like a BOATT - break out another 10 thousand to me!

Congrats!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #942
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It probably doesn't qualify as "blowing that dough", but I am using my boots and hiking gear a lot more in retirement. Therefore, I'm dirtying it up and wearing it out. I've spent a good chunk of the weekend washing and maintaining gear.

Since my last pair of boots held up barely a year, I also need to take a step up in quality. I like fairly lightweight boots, but they also don't offer enough protection for the soles of my feet. An extra 6-8 ounces, and $50-75 for all-polyurethane, vs EVA foam midsoles is called for. Going rate seems to be $200-250 a pair for something like this.

https://www.rei.com/product/165950/o...ing-boots-mens.

What will qualify as "blowing that dough" is a major investment in ultralight backpacking gear to take five pounds off my back for backpacking. At 60+, going from 19-20 pounds plus food/water, to 14 pounds would be a huge deal. Probably about a $2000 investment.

Don't have any trips planned in the next six weeks, and won't complete the process by then, so I have some shopping time. More later.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
It probably doesn't qualify as "blowing that dough", but I am using my boots and hiking gear a lot more in retirement. Therefore, I'm dirtying it up and wearing it out. I've spent a good chunk of the weekend washing and maintaining gear.

Since my last pair of boots held up barely a year, I also need to take a step up in quality. I like fairly lightweight boots, but they also don't offer enough protection for the soles of my feet. An extra 6-8 ounces, and $50-75 for all-polyurethane, vs EVA foam midsoles is called for. Going rate seems to be $200-250 a pair for something like this.

https://www.rei.com/product/165950/o...ing-boots-mens.

What will qualify as "blowing that dough" is a major investment in ultralight backpacking gear to take five pounds off my back for backpacking. At 60+, going from 19-20 pounds plus food/water, to 14 pounds would be a huge deal. Probably about a $2000 investment.

Don't have any trips planned in the next six weeks, and won't complete the process by then, so I have some shopping time. More later.

I bought those same boots after ~1600 miles of hiking wore out my North Face boots. LOVE the Oboz. I too need a firm hard sole and ankle support. I think I paid $146 for mine. Highly recommend them.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #944

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
I bought those same boots after ~1600 miles of hiking wore out my North Face boots. LOVE the Oboz. I too need a firm hard sole and ankle support. I think I paid $146 for mine. Highly recommend them.
1600 miles is impressive; I've gotten between 250 and 500 miles out of my last three pairs.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:39 AM   #945

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
My local Martin's grocery had the Cooper & Thief bourbon barrel wine on sale for $27. $21.59 if you bought 6. I put one in my cart, thought about it for about 15 seconds, then piled another 5 bottles in the cart. Too good to pass up!
I would love to get it for $21.59.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #946
Moderator Emeritus

Finally got around to trading my 2001 corvette for a 2021 Jeep Wrangler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0523.jpg (1.43 MB, 72 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #947
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Very nice and really does put me in mind of my dad's Willys Overland. Too bad I don't have it now - especially the condition my dad sold it in. Would be worth a fair chunk of money. It was solid maroon and no fake wood look IIRC. Sharp - as those things could be back in 1951. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #948
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Very nice and really does put me in mind of my dad's Willys Overland. Too bad I don't have it now - especially the condition my dad sold it in. Would be worth a fair chunk of money. It was solid maroon and no fake wood look IIRC. Sharp - as those things could be back in 1951. YMMV
I know what you mean. It would be nice to have the vehicles of yesteryear in the shape that they were back then. My dad had a Ford F100 back in the 60's. Wish I had it now - he sold it just before I got my drivers license. Probably a smart move.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #949

Well, I tried to Blow That Dough.

I ordered a new purse from a leather goods company that I've been following for a while. They were featured on a startup company show a few years ago and I still get their emails. Looked like nice stuff. But I'm a small purse person and all their bags were large. Even their idea of a small purse was too big for me. And I'm a one purse at a time gal. I find one I like and keep it a long time. I don't change purses for outfits or seasons.

A few days ago I got an email from them with a new product. It's a small purse, just my size in a leather color that I love. It's EX$PEN$IVE and that's fine. DH and I get monthly cash to spend on whatever and I never spend mine, it gets put in a canister with the last few years of monthly cash that I never spend. So I'm ripe for buying something overpriced that I'll love!

It came today and I'm so disappointed! The size and function are perfect but this one is deformed. I could exchange it for a replacement but feeling the leather it just doesn't feel like I expected. The leather is hard and stiff and I expected scrumptious leather that you want to hold and touch. It doesn't feel like the leather I want to keep for years. Maybe it would soften up but it's just not what I want in a purse at that price.

So disappointed! I used the company portal to start a return and it's already shipped back for a refund. Darn, I'm so ready to Blow That Dough and this just isn't the right purse.

From the website - https://fountleather.com/collections...39622453985454

And mine -
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AA6F1696-8C7D-4DF4-95EA-51AD3C336901.jpeg (72.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #950
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
I know what you mean. It would be nice to have the vehicles of yesteryear in the shape that they were back then. My dad had a Ford F100 back in the 60's. Wish I had it now - he sold it just before I got my drivers license. Probably a smart move.
I am not a car person, and have not owned that many cars in my life.

I do not wish to have any of those cars now, even if new. Older cars would not be as comfortable as today's cars, and the performance was not that great either.

Yes, I remember the fond time when I had them, but that memory was more than about the cars. I was so much younger, and that era was what I reminisce about, not just the cars. Me driving them now would not be the same as the 20-year-old me driving them back then. It's sad, but you cannot relive the past.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-05-2021, 05:42 AM   #951
Full time employment: Posting here.

I posted in the what did you do today thread and was informed that what I did should have been in this topic so ok here it is!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I spent the last two days truck shopping. In todays market and times it can be an exhausting experience. I finally found what I was looking for and purchased it yesterday. I was originally looking at used but when I got to the dealer to look at the one they had posted the sales guy ask if I would be interested in new. I said sure if it is the same price as this one. well it turned out to be only $1k more with full new warrenty than the other certified pre owned. No brainer. The reason for the trade is the 5th wheel camper we are looking at would be over weight for my present one. As we were test driving it we got a severe thunderstorm warning on our phones, and it hit hard as we got back to the dealership. We finished up the paperwork and headed home to cleanout my truck. This morning we are heading back to turn in mine in and pick up the new Ram 2500 HD. From there we are going to the camper dealership and get the deal sealed on the new camper. Blow that dough! LOL
Old 06-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #952
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A great trade!! I never not had a jeep but there are a lot of them in my area. The closest I have had in looks and style to a jeep was a Willys. It was a fun and and a work horse for me.

Have fun, looks great.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #953
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had a power outage last week, which reminded me that I need to get off my butt and order a small quiet home emergency generator. Our power supplier has made emergency shutdowns a frequent event these last few summers.

We live in a small valley and our current whole house 12kw generator is a very thirsty and noisy beast. The big generator is fine during the day but the sound carries across the valley at night.

Ordered a quieter 5kw dual fuel inverter generator. At night I can shut down the beast and run his quieter little brother.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #954
Give me a forum ...

^ nice purchase.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #955
Give me a forum ...

Just ordered an OLED TV to replace my plasma in my bedroom.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #956
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Just ordered an OLED TV to replace my plasma in my bedroom.
Getting ready for our (used to be annual) trek to the mainland. Job ONE when I return - getting rid of the last picture-tube type TV. NOT looking forward to hauling it out to the curb for pick up. It was heavy when I carried it in 30 years ago. Now, I can't lift it. Hope I can borrow a hand truck. It' must weigh 90 pounds and nothing to hold onto. DW can't help. Good news - if I drop it, no problem. Already BTD replacing it, but couldn't seem to work up the courage (and back muscles) to deal with the old carcass.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:16 PM   #957
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I gave away my old CRT TV, which wasn't cheap either when I bought it.

But it would have cost me $200 or more to have it hauled away, disposed of.

I ordered from Best Buy because they will haul away your old flat panel for $30 when you buy a new TV at the same time.

I looked around, you can't dispose of it for less money.

In fact BB will haul away if you don't buy a new TV from them but then the fee becomes $100.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #958
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Getting ready for our (used to be annual) trek to the mainland. Job ONE when I return - getting rid of the last picture-tube type TV. NOT looking forward to hauling it out to the curb for pick up. It was heavy when I carried it in 30 years ago. Now, I can't lift it. Hope I can borrow a hand truck. It' must weigh 90 pounds and nothing to hold onto. DW can't help. Good news - if I drop it, no problem. Already BTD replacing it, but couldn't seem to work up the courage (and back muscles) to deal with the old carcass.
Years ago I had one of those big 33" Sony Trinitron CRT tv's which I think weighed 180 pounds. So, I'm not surprised that yours may be 90 pounds, and it might be heavier than that. Either way, be careful not to hurt your back.

Luckily about ten years ago I bought a plasma TV from a nice local appliance store and negotiated for the CRT tv removal, to be done by the delivery men when the new flat screen was delivered. Cost me a little more, but otherwise it would still be where it always was. Those things are HEAVY!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #959
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Years ago I had one of those big 33" Sony Trinitron CRT tv's which I think weighed 180 pounds. So, I'm not surprised that yours may be 90 pounds, and it might be heavier than that. Either way, be careful not to hurt your back.

Luckily about ten years ago I bought a plasma TV from a nice local appliance store and negotiated for the CRT tv removal, to be done by the delivery men when the new flat screen was delivered. Cost me a little more, but otherwise it would still be where it always was. Those things are HEAVY!
Just a few years back, my good buddy (now in debt $500K) would have lifted the thing and walked out the front door with it - he was an animal (in a good way.) I'd have taken him out to a decent restaurant afterwards. Now his back is as bad as mine. YMMV

Old 06-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #960
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
I posted in the what did you do today thread and was informed that what I did should have been in this topic so ok here it is!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I spent the last two days truck shopping. In todays market and times it can be an exhausting experience. I finally found what I was looking for and purchased it yesterday. I was originally looking at used but when I got to the dealer to look at the one they had posted the sales guy ask if I would be interested in new. I said sure if it is the same price as this one. well it turned out to be only $1k more with full new warrenty than the other certified pre owned. No brainer. The reason for the trade is the 5th wheel camper we are looking at would be over weight for my present one. As we were test driving it we got a severe thunderstorm warning on our phones, and it hit hard as we got back to the dealership. We finished up the paperwork and headed home to cleanout my truck. This morning we are heading back to turn in mine in and pick up the new Ram 2500 HD. From there we are going to the camper dealership and get the deal sealed on the new camper. Blow that dough! LOL
Alright! I was the one who said your original post belongs here.

Now, if you just post up some photos, then it will be perfect.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread