Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2021, 05:00 AM   #961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So our project to panel the study with Tudor style oak is in progress, and we went shopping for a leather power recliner for the room. We saw a couple candidates that were pretty nice and pretty comfortable for around $1200. Then we ran into one at Laz-y-boy that added lumbar control, steel frame, and was the most comfortable of all. All in $2259.58. (And that was 30% off.) I didn't think it was twice as good as the others, but it was the best. At that price, I balked at $100 for delivery and got it knocked down to $59.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 05:39 AM   #962
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Years ago I had one of those big 33" Sony Trinitron CRT tv's which I think weighed 180 pounds. So, I'm not surprised that yours may be 90 pounds, and it might be heavier than that. Either way, be careful not to hurt your back.

Luckily about ten years ago I bought a plasma TV from a nice local appliance store and negotiated for the CRT tv removal, to be done by the delivery men when the new flat screen was delivered. Cost me a little more, but otherwise it would still be where it always was. Those things are HEAVY!

Yes. I had a 36" Sony. It weighed 201 lbs. I still remember that extra pound trying to carry it into the house. Luckily my coworker was a serious weight lifter so his side was easy. It had built in handles on both ends so that helped. It also cost $2100 at the time. What was I thinking?
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #963

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
So our project to panel the study with Tudor style oak is in progress, and we went shopping for a leather power recliner for the room.
Could we get pics of the study when it is done... ?

Asking for a friend...
Old 06-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #964

LazyBoy recliner sectional for the living room, and of course, new draperies for LR, DR and kitchen to match the color, 4 shelving units for shed and kids toy room, new books and toys for DGK, large 2 person hammock for back deck, 11 ft sunbrella with LED lights and 2 lounge chairs for front deck, small deck table and two small adirondack chairs for DGKs.

Jeez, spent over $7000 in the past few weeks. Nice things and will improve comfort inside and out, but gotta stop reading this thread!!
Old 06-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #965

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
LazyBoy recliner sectional for the living room, and of course, new draperies for LR, DR and kitchen to match the color, 4 shelving units for shed and kids toy room, new books and toys for DGK, large 2 person hammock for back deck, 11 ft sunbrella with LED lights and 2 lounge chairs for front deck, small deck table and two small adirondack chairs for DGKs.

Jeez, spent over $7000 in the past few weeks. Nice things and will improve comfort inside and out, but gotta stop reading this thread!!
Yeah. this could almost accidentally turn in to a "keeping up with joneses" thread even though that's the opposite of how almost all of us got here.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #966
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post

Wonderful!! I got a LazyBoy recliner in early 2020, and it has been so terrific. But that was all I got - - your new purchases sound lovely! A two person hammock? That will be fun with your DGK.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #967
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
So our project to panel the study with Tudor style oak is in progress, and we went shopping for a leather power recliner for the room. We saw a couple candidates that were pretty nice and pretty comfortable for around $1200. Then we ran into one at Laz-y-boy that added lumbar control, steel frame, and was the most comfortable of all. All in $2259.58. (And that was 30% off.) I didn't think it was twice as good as the others, but it was the best. At that price, I balked at $100 for delivery and got it knocked down to $59.
The paneling sounds lovely! I got a new Laz-y-boy recliner just before the pandemic and it has been wonderful and worth every cent. I didn't really expect that would be the case since they are so expensive! The delivery guys were wonderful and got everything all set up for me.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #968

Bought an expensive toy for the river. It was used (not cheap though) but only had 11 hours on it. We had to refill the gas tank 3x the first weekend. Good thing we bought it AFTER the gas shortage.IMG_20210522_141737_MP~2.jpeg
Old 06-06-2021, 05:06 PM   #969
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Bought an expensive toy for the river. It was used (not cheap though) but only had 11 hours on it. We had to refill the gas tank 3x the first weekend. Good thing we bought it AFTER the gas shortage.Attachment 39172
Very nice toy! Enjoy.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #970

Quote:
Bought an expensive toy for the river. It was used (not cheap though) but only had 11 hours on it. We had to refill the gas tank 3x the first weekend. Good thing we bought it AFTER the gas shortage.Attachment 39172
I see the young gentlemen on the PWC in the photo. In MD they have to be 16. I noticed in AL it is much younger. I have a few friends come by with 12-15 year olds and they get upset when I tell them junior can't ride alone. My PWC is getting up there (2007 model). Runs great. I may replace in a few years and of course I will post it here on the BTD thread.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:47 PM   #971

After DW awoke from her Covid induced stasis, she had decorating ideas for the Master BR and bath. She also bought a super duper massage chair for over $2 K. She tried one out and it really helped her back.
The master bath is going to get a complete redo. I am afraid a year of watching HGTV has gone to her head.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:57 PM   #972
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You guys are wearing me out!
Old 06-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
I see the young gentlemen on the PWC in the photo. In MD they have to be 16. I noticed in AL it is much younger. I have a few friends come by with 12-15 year olds and they get upset when I tell them junior can't ride alone. My PWC is getting up there (2007 model). Runs great. I may replace in a few years and of course I will post it here on the BTD thread.
They can ride alone (but only if they have a boater's license) at 14 in AL. We bought it just in time for his birthday. Doesn't he look pleased?
Old 06-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #974

Quote:
Bought an expensive toy for the river.
We've had a couple Sparks for a few years now and the grandkids (and their parents, and us) have had a great time with them. I think they are a great value. We had a spline shaft strip out on one though, but I think they re-engineered the shaft in later models.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Blow That Dough! -2021
Old 06-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #975

Blow That Dough! -2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Yeah. this could almost accidentally turn in to a "keeping up with joneses" thread even though that's the opposite of how almost all of us got here.
Humor it! Itís important to people.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
I really donít see this happening as folks here are too busy doing their own thing to pay attention to what the Jonesís are doing. However it definitely seems to inspire a few to loosen the purse strings a bit.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #977
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They can ride alone (but only if they have a boater's license) at 14 in AL. We bought it just in time for his birthday. Doesn't he look pleased?
Heís a very cute young man!
Old 06-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #978

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Heís a very cute young man!
Thanks- I think so too!
Old 06-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Getting ready for our (used to be annual) trek to the mainland. Job ONE when I return - getting rid of the last picture-tube type TV. NOT looking forward to hauling it out to the curb for pick up. It was heavy when I carried it in 30 years ago. Now, I can't lift it. Hope I can borrow a hand truck. It' must weigh 90 pounds and nothing to hold onto. DW can't help. Good news - if I drop it, no problem. Already BTD replacing it, but couldn't seem to work up the courage (and back muscles) to deal with the old carcass.
BTD on having a hauler come haul it away for you! No reason to risk your back or knees on something that physically awkward and heavy.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #980

$6.3K to replace our Sleep Number mattress. We bought our top of the line SN 3.5 years ago. Purchased the split bed and dislike it intensely as the 'cuddle factor' is a 1 rather than 10. So today we dropped $6.3K to purchase a partial split mattress...the bottom foot portion is one piece and the top is separate to allow individual head positions. So our new bead cost us $16.3K ...ouch.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote