Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'll have a few shavings off the Jamon por favor! Nice blow -
Yeah, DH is going to be very busy slicing for a month. We’re checking our stock of FoodSaver bags.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK DH really blew it!
Both are great blows Audrey! Enjoy!
Old 01-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Not sure it actually counts as blowing-that-dough ('cause it wasn't fun) but I got my first round of meds for the year. Most were really cheap. One med cost upwards of $400 for 3 months. The nice lady at the counter warned me it was going to be expensive. I told her it was "moderately better than dying." No generics available and meds in the same class have WAY worse side-effect profiles. So, I revert to my standby logic: What better way could you spend your money than on your health - and survival?" Hey, BLOW that dough! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I bought a nice condo in a high rise downtown on Thursday. Can’t wait to move in!!

Well that certainly qualifies! Enjoy. Makes the 4 new snow tires and wheels I just bought seem a little silly in comparison but hey it was $1070.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:46 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Just paid 3k to have my convertible hard top BMW roof fixed. They had the car for 3 weeks.
They threw in a "free" full detailing. lol
Old 01-24-2021, 04:24 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Bought 1st class tickets for a fall trip to Europe (hopefully). Still planning to remodel the den in Tudor style oak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'd love to see the pics of the den when the remodel is done.
The contractor is running behind in getting the plan together. We really like this guy and he is exceptionally good, but he is super busy and short on staff.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Not sure it actually counts as blowing-that-dough ('cause it wasn't fun) but I got my first round of meds for the year. Most were really cheap. One med cost upwards of $400 for 3 months. The nice lady at the counter warned me it was going to be expensive. I told her it was "moderately better than dying." No generics available and meds in the same class have WAY worse side-effect profiles. So, I revert to my standby logic: What better way could you spend your money than on your health - and survival?" Hey, BLOW that dough! YMMV
We paid for our son's medication at $600 a month (out of pocket) for 3 years until generic became available which is now $12 a month. We had a separate line item in our budget for pharmacy during those years. I feel you.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:37 AM   #88

Bought farm implements totaling $3500 this month: Rotary tiller, stump bucket and pallet forks. Plan is to clear some land to build a "bigger than the house" shop which will be another big Blow That Dough.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I've been in the Sauna planning stages for a while. My son and I started building a couple days ago. We started with the floor, so far we have only framed, insulated, put in a vapor barrier and covered the floor. I'm buying framing materials for the walls today. I still have not found T&G Cedar that I'm happy with, I've been to Lowe's and Home Depot, still need to look further. I expect to spend $1200 to $1500, it could be more.

Thanks to Out-to-Lunch and Braumeister for the input on the wood.
I'm sending out emails to the Sauna kit companies. I don't see any that specifically say the sell just the wood, but I'm asking anyway.
Do you have any sauna companies in mind for just the wood?
I'm in Florida, I'd like to avoid shipping cost from the Pacific Northwest!
Old 01-24-2021, 09:47 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I bought a nice condo in a high rise downtown on Thursday. Can’t wait to move in!!
Well blown! Congrats!
Old 01-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Thanks to Out-to-Lunch and Braumeister for the input on the wood.
I'm sending out emails to the Sauna kit companies. I don't see any that specifically say the sell just the wood, but I'm asking anyway.
Do you have any sauna companies in mind for just the wood?
I'm in Florida, I'd like to avoid shipping cost from the Pacific Northwest!
It appears the place I bought mine from, called finn-tastic.com, has gone out of business. I am sorry, but I don't know of others. I suspect, but don't know, that the "kit" places you can find may be responsive to a request for materials.

Since I last wrote, I remembered that I did purchase some cedar T&G from a local lumber store. (I decided to finish off some of the rest of the basement with T&G cedar.) It was not clear cedar, but knotty. I was able to go to my local independent lumber yard and order it.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #92

We settled into our Palm Springs condo which we rented from mid Jan thru the end of April. We rented it last year and invited friends and family to visit but most had to cancel dur to the virus. So we rented it again this year thinking we would invite friends and family - oops. It's 3 bedrooms for the two of us.

We are enjoying it. It's an easy walk to downtown, has 3 tennis courts and 8 pools and spas. All of the spas are heated but only 2 pools at a time.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:06 AM   #93

Quote:
Still planning to remodel the den in Tudor style oak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'd love to see the pics of the den when the remodel is done.
Quote:
The contractor is running behind in getting the plan together. We really like this guy and he is exceptionally good, but he is super busy and short on staff.
The contractor is coming over this week with the preliminary plan and his carpenter. We are also planning to refurnish the room. We have had a cheap, particle board, horizontal, two drawer file cabinet for many years. Gonna replace it with one Amish made from solid, quarter sawn oak - $1300 (plus tax).
Old 01-25-2021, 05:13 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Well that certainly qualifies! Enjoy. Makes the 4 new snow tires and wheels I just bought seem a little silly in comparison but hey it was $1070.
Is that all? Got a great deal on the 1983 CJ8 Jeep Scrambler in late Nov (10K). Just put Mickey Thompsons (wheels and tires) all around for $2300.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 01-25-2021, 05:39 AM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Is that all? Got a great deal on the 1983 CJ8 Jeep Scrambler in late Nov (10K). Just put Mickey Thompsons (wheels and tires) all around for $2300.
You expecting big snow at PAX 80 down here in FLA....

You need to retire AGAIN

Be safe.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:46 AM   #96

Quote:

Yeah those probably wouldn't look too good on a Subaru Outback.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:51 AM   #97

Quote:

WOW, I thought sure you were off by 30 years! I went looking and yep,
1983 CJ8 Jeep Scramblers are going for over $19,000. Golly, those sure hold their prices.

EDIT: I just looked for the Original MSRP $6,765, Unless I have it wrong, it's worth more now then when they were new.
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1983...eep-4X4/Values
Old 01-25-2021, 07:29 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

We should have a "Nearly Blew That Dough" section. I almost purchased a 1973 MGB this past weekend. Unfortunately it did not pan out and I passed on it. I have been looking for a MGB for years to tinker with but I must have a rust free straight body. Not so easy to find.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #99

Blowing Assistance

I like the sauna progress. If you start calling the local lumber yards, they can likely order the T&G for you. It will probably come from the Pacific Northwest anyway. I went the kit route, but did get a quote for T&G only from a lumber yard.

I'd like to hire an engineer to draw up plans for a screened porch. The drop-in simple types don't integrate well into my situation, so want a set of drawings, ready to go to the county permit office. But my calls have gone unanswered, so must not be calling the right people. Any ideas to help me blow the dough would be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #100

Got rough base spread for 32'x56' pole barn to be erected this spring. Next will be medium base gravel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210123_151453885.jpg (1.26 MB, 59 views)
Closed Thread