Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The nutty taste of the jamon de bellota is quite distinct, from the pigs eating a lot of acorns as they freely range under the oak (cork oak) trees. Lots of space to roam in smaller groups - each pig gets 1 hectare - 2.5 acres. The pig breed is also unique to Spain/Portugal. 100% Iberico means that it is a pure breed Iberian pig.

You can definitely taste the difference from acorn fed versus not.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

I want to be rich enough to demand jamon iberico from pigs fed with truffle.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Ordered up 3 oz of Jamon Iberica Bellota and 8 ounces of Texas raised Iberico Coppa and a 4 pack of the delicious anchovy stuffed olives from La Tienda.

All this talk of ham, just had to have some -
Old 01-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Cool!

Sometime try this Salchichón de Vic by Peregrino at La Tienda. It’s out of this world!
https://www.tienda.com/products/salc...ino-cz-19.html

It’s a big cured sausage with a bit of a unique sour taste that I really like.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #125
Administrator

I got some of these https://madefordrink.com/collections/all
Chorizo Thins, Salami Chips, and Duck Fritons. Not cheap and shipped from England, but this is the right thread for such a purchase. The duck fritons are amazing, like a “duck chicharrón”.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I can't imagine what subtle flavor delights are involved in eating jamon de bellota but I just had a flash of insight if you will indulge me for a moment. As a kid, I used to enjoy hot chocolate. My mom used "the best" (the Hershey powder that you had to add your own sugar - NOT the Nestles "Quick.") When I went to Europe and drank hot chocolate in Holland, I knew I had been scammed all my life. There was zero comparison in flavor to anything you could buy in the USA. The "Dutch" (is that correct?) really DO know how to make chocolate!

My palate is so unrefined that cocoa is the only thing I could conger up to compare "good" to "out of this world excellent." I hope your experiences of eating jamon de bellota is comparable to or even better than my experience of discovering REAL cocoa. Perhaps some day I too will discover the delights of jamon de bellota. Enjoy!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Order some up!

It's expensive, but not that expensive. Not to mention you don't have to buy the whole leg either.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Okay, I can't imagine what subtle flavor delights are involved in eating jamon de bellota but I just had a flash of insight if you will indulge me for a moment. As a kid, I used to enjoy hot chocolate. My mom used "the best" (the Hershey powder that you had to add your own sugar - NOT the Nestles "Quick.") When I went to Europe and drank hot chocolate in Holland, I knew I had been scammed all my life. There was zero comparison in flavor to anything you could buy in the USA. The "Dutch" (is that correct?) really DO know how to make chocolate!

My palate is so unrefined that cocoa is the only thing I could conger up to compare "good" to "out of this world excellent." I hope your experiences of eating jamon de bellota is comparable to or even better than my experience of discovering REAL cocoa. Perhaps some day I too will discover the delights of jamon de bellota. Enjoy!
If Hershey's vs Dutch hot chocolate is your frame of reference, then I predict that you will be disappointed by even THE top of the line jambon
Old 01-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The Italians - now that’s some unbelievably rich delicious hot chocolate, almost like pudding!
Old 01-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Not too bad for my first day of slicing, eh?

As instructed, we started with the leanest section first. I presume that’s because it will dry out faster if you take a while to carve the ham.

Now I’m chilling with some Fino Sherry, Spanish cheese and olives and our freshly sliced jamon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 68B16201-E1FE-43B7-BDA6-3931BB6D1612.jpeg (595.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:49 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Ordered up 3 oz of Jamon Iberica Bellota and 8 ounces of Texas raised Iberico Coppa and a 4 pack of the delicious anchovy stuffed olives from La Tienda.

All this talk of ham, just had to have some -
So can anyone make a recommendation for any of those 2 or 3 oz samples of Jamon Iberica (Amazon or elsewhere)? I'd love to try some, but no way am I gonna buy several hundred $ worth just to test it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Cool!

Sometime try this Salchichón de Vic by Peregrino at La Tienda. It’s out of this world!
https://www.tienda.com/products/salc...ino-cz-19.html

It’s a big cured sausage with a bit of a unique sour taste that I really like.

That sure looks good.

-ERD50
Old 01-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

La Tienda is a good source for small packages of sliced Jamon Iberico or Serrano. The Iberico is usually 3oz and pricey. The Serrano 6 oz not quite so pricey. But really the best way to try it is to travel to Spain and have some sliced to order.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:41 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
If Hershey's vs Dutch hot chocolate is your frame of reference, then I predict that you will be disappointed by even THE top of the line jambon
Have you had Dutch chocolate in Holland?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #134
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Have you had Dutch chocolate in Holland?
Yes, I sure have. It’s great. That was actually my point: the difference between Hershey and real Dutch (or Italian, or even French or Swiss) hot chocolate is so big that it is really quite obvious even to the casual observer.
On the other hand, while there definitely is a difference between good and top of the line Jamon, the differences are really pretty subtle, unless you have an exceptionally discerning taste.
That’s why I predicted that if you expect that big of a difference, then you will likely be disappointed.
Kind of like the difference between a very good and a top level bottle of wine.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
La Tienda is a good source for small packages of sliced Jamon Iberico or Serrano. The Iberico is usually 3oz and pricey. The Serrano 6 oz not quite so pricey. But really the best way to try it is to travel to Spain and have some sliced to order.
Well, in one long trip to Europe, after a few weeks of having their wonderful charcuterie meats, I longed for a simple American ham-and-cheese sandwich.

It's the same with hamburgers. At the end of most trips, I started to look for McDonald's. Sadly, the hamburgers there often were not good. I am not a picky eater, but still remember a hamburger bought in Sète which tasted literally like a cardboard. The only redeeming thing was that for the meal deal, they allowed the choice of a mini Heineken instead of the usual Coke for the drink.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Haha - not me! Neither the hamburger nor ham and cheese sandwich. Tons of European styles of ham with cheese with much better bread. Not a hamburger fan.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

When I was in the Netherlands, I routinely bought a common brand of chocolate bar at the grocery stores. I got the impression it was their version of our Hershey bar. But, the chocolate taste was more pronounced and just better. Maybe it's the 'vacation effect' but it sure tasted better.

Europeans in general have a higher standard in food that we Americans do. They won't accept poor food as readily as we do. I have come to believe that while the best American foods are as good as the best European foods, the European bottom level is higher than our bottom level. Anybody care for another slice of pasteurized processed cheese food slices? Ugh.

To keep on topic, let me add that I am willing to Blow That Dough on good quality food. Occasionally I buy whiskey that is not Kirkland Signature.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

I haven't blown it yet but I hope I can. Lol

I'm hoping to buy an old homestead about 4 acres. It has a 100 plus year old 3 room home and a 24 by 16 work shop feed storage building. It isn't far from the ranch and would like to restore the building enough to stop from deteriorating any further. I also would plant some trees and seed alfalfa, clover and seed vegetation for wildlife. I think it would be a great and fun project for me.
I talked to the owner which doesn't live in the area to see if he would consider selling. I would take on all surveying and closing costs.
I haven't heard back from him but I do hope I can blow some dough.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #139
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
in one long trip to Europe, after a few weeks...I longed for a simple hamburger
Many European cities now have one or more places that serve excellent hamburgers.
For example:
Porto - Honorato Clérigos
Lisboa - A Cultura do Hambúrguer
Ljubljana - Pop's Place

I was very pleased.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Haha - not me! Neither the hamburger nor ham and cheese sandwich. Tons of European styles of ham with cheese with much better bread. Not a hamburger fan.
I'm with you on that. I love the diversity of ham-based sandwiches all throughout Europe. It never makes me miss a

I eat hamburgers about twice a month but never McDonald's. I prefer home cooked or any number of restaurants, even fast casual. In France, the hamburger has replaced ham+butter baguette as the top sandwich consumed. The better versions appear on bistro and cafe meus, and they've even adopted fast casual style restaurants with decent quality. There are still some misses, although I rarely order it when in Europe.

BTW, not FIREd yet but am looking for ideas in this thread as we learn to loosen the purse strings.

I remember seeing the big Bellota at Costco over the holidays. I usually just get my charcuterie fresh sliced from my local specialty butcher, which is walkable, but Iberico is not always in stock there (but is at another a couple miles away).
Closed Thread