Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
If you can afford it, I say go for it.
+1 You only live once! And time passes by so fast....
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Ordered up 3 oz of Jamon Iberica Bellota and 8 ounces of Texas raised Iberico Coppa and a 4 pack of the delicious anchovy stuffed olives from La Tienda.

All this talk of ham, just had to have some -
Hah, good timing, our order of Jamon Iberica de Bellota from La Tienda arrived on friday, I had some on Saturday and a little bit with lunch today.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #163
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
And so is a $3,000 bottle of Louis XIII.
I paid $35/shot at Masa’s in San Francisco.
Very tasty.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can dig it. I was gifted a bottle of Dom Perignon, hundred bucks back then and thought "so what", better buy me 4 bottles of stuff I like better.

But I do like a $150 bottle of XO better than a $50 bottle of VSOP. Three grand a bottle can sit for a better man than me.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:53 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I paid $35/shot at Masa’s in San Francisco.
Very tasty.

Can't be Louis XIII if the shot is only $35! What you had was a shot of an XO.

You know the bitty 50ml sampler size of various liquors that you can buy at liquor stores for $1 or $2? They are good enough for almost 2 shots (1 shot is 30ml).

A little bottle like that for Louis XIII is $600.

PS. Here's a place where you can buy the miniature 50ml Louis XIII for $549.

https://vsliquor.com/products/remy-m...CABEgJ9ivD_BwE
Old 02-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
If you can afford it, I say go for it. It will be a once in a lifetime treat that you will share with family members. They will always remember it.

Or you could compromise and throw a clambake or something everyone can enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 You only live once! And time passes by so fast....

But as is true with many objects of desire, if it is out of reach, it is always better in your imagination. Once it is in your possession, it is often a let down.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I can dig it. I was gifted a bottle of Dom Perignon, hundred bucks back then and thought "so what", better buy me 4 bottles of stuff I like better.

But I do like a $150 bottle of XO better than a $50 bottle of VSOP. Three grand a bottle can sit for a better man than me.
WHAT!!! I was waiting for you to tell us if it is worth it. Come on, my man!

About $150-200 XO, I still have many unopened bottles, given as gifts. I don't drink much anymore.

Well, I am going out to get myself a shot now.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
WHAT!!! I was waiting for you to tell us if it is worth it. Come on, my man!

About $150-200 XO, I still have many unopened bottles, given as gifts. I don't drink much anymore.

Well, I am going out to get myself a shot now.
Let us know what you think. I had 2 fingers for $300 and it was fantastic. If I was willing to take another 2 fingers I would have finished the bottle. And they give you the bottle. Which is worth $400 in Ebay. Wish I had known that. I could have had another 2 fingers for free.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:13 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Let us know what you think. I had 2 fingers for $300 and it was fantastic. If I was willing to take another 2 fingers I would have finished the bottle. And they give you the bottle. Which is worth $400 in Ebay. Wish I had known that. I could have had another 2 fingers for free.
Oops, I meant to get myself a shot of XO from my cabinet right now, not going out to a bar for a shot of Louis XIII.

And yes, the empty Louis XIII bottle fetches a lot of money on eBay. What the heck?

But I just went there and saw that the 750ml empty bottle is "only" $99, and it comes with the original fancy box.

Someone sold an empty magnum 1.75L Louis XIII bottle for $650. Holy molly! What does one do with that? Fill it up with XO to impress visitors? Or a bar to refill and sell counterfeit shots to customers?

PS. I did not know that they have the magnum size. Wow! If the 750ml bottle is already $3500, then the magnum should be $8200.

And then, there's Louis XIII Black Pearl, which is a higher class.

PPS. There's a Louis XIII Black Pearl Magnum of 1.75L. The price is $80,000. Just what RobbieB wants.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Never had any louie the eighth and don't think I will. But I do enjoy the $100 to $300 / fifth stuff regularly. Could be XO or tequlia or bourbon or scotch.

That "shelf" is a treat. Something special. Mostly I drink the $30 to $50 / fifth stuff. Good value there.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #171
gone traveling

Quote:
Can't be Louis XIII if the shot is only $35! What you had was a shot of an XO.
Nope.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:33 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Nope.
$35 in 1995 is about only $60 now. Perhaps Remy Martin raised the price a lot since.

I guess it does not matter. I suspect that a lot of this stuff is hyped up. Because it costs so much, people say it has to be that good, and if you cannot appreciate it, it's because of your peasant taste. They have to find a way for rich people to rid themselves of some money. Trickle it down, trickle it down.

Years ago, after a holiday meal, my brothers and myself sat down to taste the VS, VSOP, and XO grades, all from the same maker. The concensus was that the difference between the VS and VSOP was huge, but the VSOP and XO could be differentiated only if we paid attention. And after the first shot or two, it did not matter anymore.

My palate is even worse now. I need to try this test again.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:38 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
You guys kill me, back in 2000 I drove a fellow contractor to the liquor store in KC Kansas so he could buy some booze as he came without a car.

I felt he was wasting his money buying $100 bottles of wine as he bought 5 bottles..

Obviously I need to read this thread more
Old 02-01-2021, 11:55 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Well, it's not for us either. RobbieB himself has bowed out.

Now, the scary thing is that I just learned that Remy Martin sells Louis XIII cognac in the Mathusalem size: a whopping 6L bottle. Filled it up with Black Pearl cognac, and the bottle would be $270,000.

If you were a billionaire, how would you spend your 4% WR without the help of liquor like that for yourself, and Hermès handbags for your mistress ($2 million)?

And the scary thing is that luxury brands are growing way faster than the world economy. Somewhere, I saw that Louis Vuitton is growing at 14%/year, and Gucci at 23%/year.

I don't see how I would be happier with these things. Would you?
Old 02-04-2021, 09:27 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Ended up buying a wall mount UHD TV for the workout room. Pretty cheap really - it’s 4K but not OLED. It turns out the Apple Fitness+ works really well for multiple people/watches on the Apple TV box, but the iPad is really limited to 1 user. Just as well, workouts will be easier with a larger screen. Also ordered another Apple TV for it.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, in one long trip to Europe, after a few weeks of having their wonderful charcuterie meats, I longed for a simple American ham-and-cheese sandwich.

It's the same with hamburgers. At the end of most trips, I started to look for McDonald's. Sadly, the hamburgers there often were not good. I am not a picky eater, but still remember a hamburger bought in Sète which tasted literally like a cardboard. The only redeeming thing was that for the meal deal, they allowed the choice of a mini Heineken instead of the usual Coke for the drink.
I got stuck in Europe for a while and totally agree. After a week or so I craved a Big Mac and kept going back every week. In Amsterdam they had American ketchup but it cost an extra 25 cents, I'd always blow the dough for two packs of ketchup.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed the wonderful charcuterie meats of Switzerland and the fondue.

Never once did I crave a big mac. Mac me not por favor!
Old 02-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Yeah me neither! Besides, I haven’t eaten MacDonald’s food since my 20s!

We’ve been in Europe for up to two month long stays, and not missed US food at all. Our long stay in Amsterdam we had a variety of top notch ethnic eateries as well as European style restaurants. And I’m fine with eating my fries with mayo, or an excellent aioli as the Belgian restaurant down the street would serve. I even wish we had a herring stand or vishandel here. OMG the smoked mackerel was to die for! It’s still surprising to me to see US fast food chains overseas.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:05 AM   #179
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I like the sauna progress. If you start calling the local lumber yards, they can likely order the T&G for you. It will probably come from the Pacific Northwest anyway. I went the kit route, but did get a quote for T&G only from a lumber yard.

I'd like to hire an engineer to draw up plans for a screened porch. The drop-in simple types don't integrate well into my situation, so want a set of drawings, ready to go to the county permit office. But my calls have gone unanswered, so must not be calling the right people. Any ideas to help me blow the dough would be appreciated.

I have more progress. I'm picking up my wood today, I ordered Poplar. They had to cut, mill, sand and T&G it, from a local lumber yard. It comes apart in 7 pieces in case I move or if I decide I don't make use of it and want to sell it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sauna Framing.jpg (288.1 KB, 62 views)
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I got stuck in Europe for a while and totally agree. After a week or so I craved a Big Mac and kept going back every week. In Amsterdam they had American ketchup but it cost an extra 25 cents, I'd always blow the dough for two packs of ketchup.
Yes, I have to say that I also prefer ketchup to mayo for French fries (or Belgian fries).

I have had Big Mac only twice in the dozen of European trips through the years. In recent trips when we stayed at Airbnb and were able to do a lot of meal preparation and not having to eat at restaurants all the time, I did not have a craving for American food.

But, but, but you will want something different after a while and want a change from the local food. On a highway going from Southern France to Northern Spain, I was taken aback to see this "New York style" hot dog stand at a highway gas station. It was in April, outside of tourist season, so it was not operated else I would buy to see how good it was.

And then, in Annemasse (a French town not too far from Geneva), we went to a Chinese buffet in a commercial/industrial quarter. There was a long line of local French diners waiting to get in. No tourists there but ourselves. The food selection was similar to Chinese buffet in the US, as I recall. And it did hit the spot.