Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. But still.

I do not see Wagyu beef around here. Or perhaps I have not looked hard enough.

90 degrees to Wagyu beef, but still well within the BTD theme (example to follow), I can NOT find any Spumoni Ice Cream on the Island (in a store - more to follow). Even back "home" on the mainland, I must have asked at half a dozen grocery stores and just got a blank stare when I asked for it.

BUT, Old Spaghetti Factory serves Spumoni Ice Cream for dessert. AND - here's the best part - they SELL it by the gallon. It cost me $20 plus tax, but once or twice a year, I BTD and buy a big box of it and with a little (very little) help from DW, I consume it in less time than it takes to start "going bad" like ice cream does when it gets "old."

Heh, heh, the song lyric that just went through my head, thinking about spumoni ice cream was "I'm In Heaven" from CHEEK TO CHEEK sung by Fred Astaire in "Top Hat" ca. 1935. It was included, IIRC in "The Green Mile." You folks who love (love, love, love) jamon de bellota may not share my enthusiasm for spumoni ice cream, but my passion for it helps me understand YOUR passion. Totally different flavors and even food groups, but passion is passion and should be celebrated IMHO.:dance: YMMV

Bought a couple of new belts for my Rega P3 turntable. $6.10. Why not? blow that dough!

I know. But still.

I do not see Wagyu beef around here. Or perhaps I have not looked hard enough.

PS. Saw some Argentina grassfed strip loin just now for $5.99. Wanted to get some, but the two fridges are full. Darn, we keep buying more food than we can eat. The way my wife hoards food, people would think we were from the Great Depression era.
They’ve been carrying quite a bit of American Wagyu beef at our local HEB. But this was the first time I ever saw a Wagyu brisket. I haven’t tried any of their Wagyu.

I really wanted the grass fed brisket. It was quite flexible, so I think it would turn out great. But I have neither the time nor the space at the moment and and still have some leftover smoked brisket from Jan in the freezer.

American Wagyu is a cross between Japanese Wagyu and typically Black Angus according to Snake River Farms.

Last edited:
This should be renamed the "Blow the diet" thread!

This thread makes me smile.

... You folks who love (love, love, love) jamon de bellota may not share my enthusiasm for spumoni ice cream, but my passion for it helps me understand YOUR passion. Totally different flavors and even food groups, but passion is passion and should be celebrated IMHO.:dance: YMMV

There are food I love that do not cost that much. I can be happy without spending a lot of money.

Koolau just made me crave some ice cream. I have not had it for a while, for trying to keep my blood glucose low. Just earlier today, at the grocery store, my wife asked me if I should get some, and I said no.

Now, I am thinking maybe I should drive to the store just to get some. Any kind of ice cream would work. :(

Yeah - I haven't had ice cream in forever due to low carb, and I avoid what I consider "fake" sweets. But my sweet tooth is pretty much turned off, so I haven't missed it too much.

I do eat 88%+ dark chocolate, so that goes a long way to not feeling deprived.

"American" wagyu beef is best described as "over prime".

We do not have the grading system of the Japanese and probably never will.

But it is really good and I like to support US - :)

My wife just found some Mochi ice cream leftover in the fridge for me. They were abandoned in a corner and suffered from freezer burn, but that satiated my sugar crave for now.

I do not normally eat sweets, and my sudden craving for sugar may be telling me something.

Get some Ben & Jerry or some Hagen-Daz. A little goes a long way.

I don't eat a lot of ice cream, but when I do...

Same here. Those are my 2 go to ice cream brands.

If you are not eating delicious food, you are on the wrong diet!!!

I so agree. I love low carb eating. A delicious meal every time. Bacon, cheese, beef, iberian ham, icecream etc. Fits my palate to the max. If I want to go down I have to watch portion sizes. But it still taste great.

And I get to blow a little dough buying high quality food.

Yeah - I haven't had ice cream in forever due to low carb, and I avoid what I consider "fake" sweets. But my sweet tooth is pretty much turned off, so I haven't missed it too much.

I do eat 88%+ dark chocolate, so that goes a long way to not feeling deprived.

You should try the 30 sec icecream which is my goto:

A handfull frozen berries, a dash of cream, one egg straight from the fridge. Mix with a handheld blender until looks icecream'y. Enjoy immidiately.

You can of course swap the berries for dark chocolate + an ice cube.

Add a dash of something from your liqueur cabinet and you can blow some dough too. :LOL:

Ice cream. I don't go by an Oberweis dairy in Chicagoland without getting one of these

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 231
I wasn’t able to pass up these prime beef “Dino Ribs” yesterday. They are over 2 pounds each! Smoking them today.

DH was skeptical at first, but I showed him that there was a huge slab of meat on top of each bone.

Attachments

• E39F3F4C-A532-404E-A009-BE1E71B6C194.jpeg
    E39F3F4C-A532-404E-A009-BE1E71B6C194.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Speaking of Ben & Jerry ice cream, I was surprised to see it in a grocery store in Spain.

Just now did some research, and found that "it was founded in 1978 in Burlington, Vermont, and sold in 2000 to British-Dutch conglomerate Unilever. Today it operates globally as a fully owned subsidiary of Unilever."

Back to blood glucose level, Harvard's data shows that premium ice cream has a lower glycemic index than standard ice cream. The reason? Rich ice cream has more butter fat in it, and that slows down the absorption of the sugar. Money can buy not just happiness, but some health too.

Back to blood glucose level, Harvard's data shows that premium ice cream has a lower glycemic index than standard ice cream. The reason? Rich ice cream has more butter fat in it, and that slows down the absorption of the sugar. Money can buy not just happiness, but some health too.
Great to know, and a great justification for me to prefer Häagen-Dazs and real Italian Gelato... :D

I so agree. I love low carb eating. A delicious meal every time. Bacon, cheese, beef, iberian ham, icecream etc. Fits my palate to the max. If I want to go down I have to watch portion sizes. But it still taste great.

And I get to blow a little dough buying high quality food.

You should try the 30 sec icecream which is my goto:

A handfull frozen berries, a dash of cream, one egg straight from the fridge. Mix with a handheld blender until looks icecream'y. Enjoy immidiately.

You can of course swap the berries for dark chocolate + an ice cube.

Add a dash of something from your liqueur cabinet and you can blow some dough too. :LOL:
Wow, I have to try this! The liqueur and the eggs remind me of my favorite home made eggnog recipe (European style, with 20% alcohol and less sugar). But I am wondering, does anyone have experience with these ice cream making machines? Seems in these Covid times :hide:, this may be a worthwhile investment :cool:

Bought 10 containers of B and J's for $20 yesterday. BTD.

I ration it so it lasts as long as possible.

It may reduce the glycemic index, but I’ve come to believe that high fat plus high sugar is a very unhealthy food and contributes to metabolic disease. High fat is fine unless you add a bunch of sugar or carbs.

It may reduce the glycemic index, but I’ve come to believe that high fat plus high sugar is a very unhealthy food and contributes to metabolic disease. High fat is fine unless you add a bunch of sugar or carbs.

+1, one or the other (but low carb is better for low BG) but both are not a good idea

Bought 10 containers of B and J's for $20 yesterday. BTD.

I ration it so it lasts as long as possible.

How did you get that price?
The best I can do is BOGO at Publix.

A lot depends on the individual's body. I still eat a lot of carb for dinner. But if I eat bread for lunch, my fasting blood glucose shoots up past 100. With quinoa for lunch, it's a lot better.

Just did my monthly fasting finger pricking test. Result: 86. I can safely do ice cream once a week with that.

Closing on my condo on the 12th of March. I have my handyman lined up to paint, pergo the bedrooms and do a few other things. Intend to buy all new stainless steel appliances. Luckily it has a new kitchen except for appliances and hardwood floors except for the bedrooms. Very excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom