Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Blew Some....
Nice, but I hated working on those things lol. I was an auto tech in the mid 80's through about '91 and worked on many of those. The suspensions were a pain in the butt to work on.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 09:44 PM   #322

I blew about $18,000 last year on restoration of my 1969 Camaro. The work included a new 383 Chevy custom built crate engine and full doghouse removal and restoration down to the subframe.

DSCF6328.jpg

DSCF6332.jpg

DSCF6311.jpg
Old 02-25-2021, 12:47 AM   #323
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
They were beyond being worth saving or donating. We have a large supply of rags now.
Ah! Got you. Good idea!
Old 02-25-2021, 07:15 PM   #324
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
I blew about $18,000 last year on restoration of my 1969 Camaro. The work included a new 383 Chevy custom built crate engine and full doghouse removal and restoration down to the subframe.

Attachment 37869

Attachment 37870

Attachment 37871
Beautiful. Well worth $18K and more to make her look like that. Good on you!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #325
Give me a forum ...

Bad ass car baby!

You Rock -
Old 02-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #326

Wow, nice car!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #327
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
Wow, nice car!
+1.
retirement car
Old 02-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #328
Dryer sheet aficionado

retirement car

We decided not to get a travel trailer so I traded my truck for a sporty SUV - Audi Q7

Old 02-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #329

I am not a sophisticated vinophile. If I have some alcohol, I tend toward red wine because there are occasionally some suggested health benefits, taken in moderation. I do not like heavy tannin wines like cabernet. I have found that I prefer pinot noir, and I found that $5 Naked Grape was just fine.

On the road when we get dinner, DW likes to split a beer sometimes. One time we tried Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. It was really good. I found it at home, but it's $12 for 4 bottles, kind of a lot for beer. I wondered if the same treatment would work for wine. A lot of the bourbon barrel aged wined that I saw in stores were based on heavy reds, so I passed. Eventually I tried Cooper and Thief Red Blend, aged 3 months in bourbon barrels. Wow was it awesome! Thing is, it was $28. Plus tax.

That really rankled my sense of value. How could I pay ~6X as much for wine? But it was really good. I decided that I would splurge this once and I ordered a case for $315. (plus tax). Supposed to arrive today.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
We decided not to get a travel trailer so I traded my truck for a sporty SUV - Audi Q7

Love those wheels...nice color too
Old 02-26-2021, 04:29 PM   #331
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been blowing that dough at my new/old Florida townhome.

Here is the buy list after 4 months:
- New manufactured oak flooring in the upstairs two bedrooms. Paid to have this installed. It looks great.
- All new wood trim, door hardware and paint in the upstairs rooms, and lower half bath. Including ceilings and woodwork. (My labor).
- A bunch of furniture. Most used, but some nice new rugs, chairs, beds and lighting.
- I'm paying to have the sun deck and flat roof replaced. This one was tough, because I think I could have done this myself, but it is being hired out.
- New AC/Heating system.
- New impact windows and upper slider with the reflective glass are on order. I have 3 lower level sliders that I'm not replacing for now. Those babies cost about $3k each, and I am cheap. They are also protected by a 3 season porch, and the tile covered concrete floors on the lower level should be fine if some water manages to get in.
- New landscaping in the garden, with a fancy wall trellis on order for the bougainvillea plants.
- New kitchen cabinets, sink, faucet and countertops were ordered today. I'm going to assemble and install them, replace the back wall sheetrock, and do the backsplash tile.

I have plans to update the two bathrooms next year. They were both repainted with new baseboard trim for now.

I also have a damaged 3 season porch ceiling that needs repairs, or to be covered with some type of material. I'm thinking about a metal or wood ceiling in there.

Wow, we been busy, and we have been blowing that dough.

Take care, JP
Old 02-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Our HEB has been carrying this beautiful Ahi tuna from Hawaii. I got them to custom slice me some 1.5 inch steaks.

This is what I like to do with it.

(pan-seared on cast iron. Recently I got wise and started using Everything Bagel seasoning instead of just sesame seeds on the tuna before searing. We also drizzle a little toasted sesame oil on it before serving.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 87315728-94C6-402D-935E-18523230F664.jpeg (90.2 KB, 87 views)
Old 02-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Our HEB has been carrying this beautiful Ahi tuna from Hawaii. I got them to custom slice me some 1.5 inch steaks.

(pan-seared on cast iron. Recently I got wise and started using Everything Bagel seasoning instead of just sesame seeds on the tuna before searing. We also drizzle alittle toasted sesame oil on it before serving.)
I gotta try that one. The sesame is good, but the seasoning sounds better (and we have some, so now I have to get some tuna).

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Everything bagel seasoning is also very good sprinkled on avocado or boiled eggs.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

(pan-seared on cast iron. Recently I got wise and started using Everything Bagel seasoning instead of just sesame seeds on the tuna before searing. We also drizzle a little toasted sesame oil on it before serving.)
We had some last night, I usually do it on the grill with a cast iron giddle. Last night DW decided to use the oven, after black and white sesame seeds, garlic salt and some fresh cracked pepper. She stuck the griddle in the 500 degree oven for about 15 minutes, turned the oven off, and I put the ahi on. One minute each side, it cooked better this way than the grill! A little dab of wasabi and pickled ginger on the plate, washed down with some very chilled Gewurztraminer wine.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I am not a sophisticated vinophile. If I have some alcohol, I tend toward red wine because there are occasionally some suggested health benefits, taken in moderation. I do not like heavy tannin wines like cabernet. I have found that I prefer pinot noir, and I found that $5 Naked Grape was just fine.

On the road when we get dinner, DW likes to split a beer sometimes. One time we tried Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. It was really good. I found it at home, but it's $12 for 4 bottles, kind of a lot for beer. I wondered if the same treatment would work for wine. A lot of the bourbon barrel aged wined that I saw in stores were based on heavy reds, so I passed. Eventually I tried Cooper and Thief Red Blend, aged 3 months in bourbon barrels. Wow was it awesome! Thing is, it was $28. Plus tax.

That really rankled my sense of value. How could I pay ~6X as much for wine? But it was really good. I decided that I would splurge this once and I ordered a case for $315. (plus tax). Supposed to arrive today.
DrRoy, always drink what you like! It's great to step outside the box and try something new, and then get rewarded. The $28/bottle of wine is always going to be balanced in acid and tannins a lot more than a $5 Naked Grape wine.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Finally, you made me break down and place a $300 order myself

Sadly, they were all out of uni - I guess it's not urchin season...

BTD
Finally, my Sashimi samples came in (2 week delay because of the ice vortex in the middle of the country....)! DW and I just had our first meal - fabulous!!!!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear. I have no problem promoting Catalina. Their fish is all top of the heap and better than the sushi bars serve up.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #339

Blow more dough:

Glenfiddich single malt, 21y reserva rum cask finish Just under $300 after shipping and taxes....

I shall be curious as to whether I can really tell a big difference vs my old $25 stand-bys......

either way, it will last me about a year, so its less than a dollar a day....
Old 02-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Blow more dough:

Glenfiddich single malt, 21y reserva rum cask finish Just under $300 after shipping and taxes....

I shall be curious as to whether I can really tell a big difference vs my old $25 stand-bys......

either way, it will last me about a year, so its less than a dollar a day....
I'll bet you can. I can tell the difference between a high end bourbon and a lower end one, when sipping. Maybe not between $30 and $50, or $50 and $70, but I can tell $20 bourbons from $80. If I'm mixing, it's a lot less, but I don't use my better bourbons for mixing.

If your $25 standby scotch is a blend, you probably pick up the harsher grain alcohol in the blend that's not in the $300 single malt.

I've got a few bottles of cheap rum, bourbon, vodka, amaretto, and schnapps in my bar but I won't buy more unless it's something I actually really like, like Whaler's coconut rum (with pineapple juice). I don't think I've paid over $100 for anything yet though. I'm not big on scotch.

Enjoy!
Closed Thread