Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
I'm planning to start shopping for a car with manual transmission once I'm fully vaccinated, almost certainly used. Right now, I think it will be a VW Golf or Jetta.

Nothing fancy or very powerful, but I think I'd enjoy it. I will be keeping my current car, so don't need to spend a lot of dough.
Since it's a second car, why not something a bit sporty (and fun!) like a Miata? I really miss rowing a manual tranny, but in the city, it's a real pain and I would constantly worry about wearing out the clutch. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #602
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just bought Trek Hybrid (non electric) bikes to ride around the neighborhood ... probably paid 4X as much than we should have for a good enough solution.

BUT - I always wanted a Trek bike!
Old 04-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #603
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
We just bought Trek Hybrid (non electric) bikes to ride around the neighborhood ... probably paid 4X as much than we should have for a good enough solution.

You won’t be disappointed. My Trek hybrid is probably 20 years old And still going strong.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #604
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post

Heh, heh, that's why we call it Blow That Dough. Enjoy!!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Since it's a second car, why not something a bit sporty (and fun!) like a Miata? I really miss rowing a manual tranny, but in the city, it's a real pain and I would constantly worry about wearing out the clutch. YMMV
Unfortunately, I'm too big and tall (with long legs) to be a candidate for a Miata. Same goes for a Subaru WRX.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
I'm planning to start shopping for a car with manual transmission once I'm fully vaccinated, almost certainly used. Right now, I think it will be a VW Golf or Jetta.

Nothing fancy or very powerful, but I think I'd enjoy it. I will be keeping my current car, so don't need to spend a lot of dough.

Get a VW with the 2 liter TSI Turbo if you can. LOTS of fun, great engine, and you can get 40mpg out of it if you drive it like an old lady.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #607
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My last truck had 225,000 on the original clutch before it rusted out so badly the door wouldn't stay shut anymore. My current truck just turned 130,000 and the original clutch is still going strong.

I'll miss the manual transmission once they stop offering them.

-AM23
Old 04-04-2021, 05:36 AM   #608
Give me a forum ...

In a higher end art shop we saw an amazing dish shaped copper piece, 24 inches in diameter, with a band of color and irregular black lines that would look awesome on the fireplace, for $700. We might normally have bought a piece of pottery or two for maybe $100 each. Haven't bought it yet, but it's all we can talk about, and I think we are going to give in and blow the dough.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Get a VW with the 2 liter TSI Turbo if you can. LOTS of fun, great engine, and you can get 40mpg out of it if you drive it like an old lady.
I'm thinking of the 1.8T in the VWs from 2015 or so. I've got some speeding ticket history I'd prefer not to relive.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #610
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
In a higher end art shop we saw an amazing dish shaped copper piece, 24 inches in diameter, with a band of color and irregular black lines that would look awesome on the fireplace, for $700. We might normally have bought a piece of pottery or two for maybe $100 each. Haven't bought it yet, but it's all we can talk about, and I think we are going to give in and blow the dough.
You better get it pronto. If you wait, someone else could buy it and you might not ever find another one.

One of our neighbors in Arizona had some wall art that we really liked. The artist had his shop set up at an art fair there for the winter. He had pieces there for sale that were exactly what I wanted, but I thought it would be difficult to ship to Illinois and I didn't want to bring it back to Illinois with me.

His brochure said that he was going to be at an Illinois art fair in the summer. I planned on buying a piece there. We went to the Illinois fair and he wasn't there. I wish I would have bought the piece when I saw it.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #611

Quote:
If it’s all you can talk about, you should definitely go get it. Seriously, unless you’re art junkies, how often does something speak to you so significantly? I don’t know what my limit is, but if I saw something that would be the perfect piece to hand above my mantle, I’d get it. I doubt $700 would stop me and I hope it won’t you. Share a picture.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:57 AM   #612
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairMillionaire23 View Post

I felt that way too "until" electronic paddle shifters became available... So cool! For normal driving I just don't use them, but when I want more control and/or spirited driving, they are a finger tip away.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #613

Paddle shifters get in the way for me...I prefer the "manu-matic" automatics where you can slap the shifter over to the side to be able to change gears manually w/o having to use a clutch.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #614
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
If it’s all you can talk about, you should definitely go get it. Seriously, unless you’re art junkies, how often does something speak to you so significantly? I don’t know what my limit is, but if I saw something that would be the perfect piece to hand above my mantle, I’d get it. I doubt $700 would stop me and I hope it won’t you. Share a picture.
+1000

Definitely, buy it, and quickly before it is gone! You know I'm all into LBYM, but this sounds like something very special that would add to your life every day.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #615
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Paddle shifters get in the way for me...I prefer the "manu-matic" automatics where you can slap the shifter over to the side to be able to change gears manually w/o having to use a clutch.
That is what I have with my Z4. Lots of fun.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #616

Quote:
Here's how I know to buy that thing:

Imagine you go back into the shop - and it's no longer there. Are you relieved or heartbroken?

If the latter, rush back and go get it. (If it's gone, and you're sad, that's still ok, wasn't meant to be.)
Old 04-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #617
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairMillionaire23 View Post
My last truck had 225,000 on the original clutch before it rusted out so badly the door wouldn't stay shut anymore. My current truck just turned 130,000 and the original clutch is still going strong.

Oh, I've never worn out a clutch (up to 200K miles) but driving in Honolulu traffic WOULD put a lot of wear on a clutch (and throw out bearing.) Given my druthers, I'd have a manual for the coast roads and auto for the freeway/downtown. It's not to be, so auto is the way to go - oh, and DW strongly prefers the auto - so there's that. YMMV

Old 04-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #618
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1000

Definitely, buy it, and quickly before it is gone! You know I'm all into LBYM, but this sounds like something very special that would add to your life every day.

+1000 twice

Bought a handmade tapestry off the wall of a Peruvian restaurant back in January. We love Peru and wife fell in love with it at dinner. Funny thing is, the Peruvian restaurant is in a suburb of San Jose Costa Rica.

All negotiations with the owner handled with Google Translate on Whatsapp and had a deal done in about 15 minutes.

He has since sent me pics of pretty much all the art he has in both of his restaurants letting me know they are for sale.

Now we look at it everyday and think "that is so cool"!
Old 04-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In pending talks with DH about a serious purchase. Stay tuned.......
OK - we placed an order, and expect delivery sometime in June. We haven’t had to hand over any major $$$ yet.

I’ll check back in when that happens....
Old 04-04-2021, 03:06 PM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK - we placed an order, and expect delivery sometime in June. We haven’t had to hand over any major $$$ yet.

I’ll check back in when that happens....
Have you already started interviewing pilots for it?