Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #621
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
That is what I have with my Z4. Lots of fun.
Surprisingly, my 15-year-old, base model, Subaru sedan came with such.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Decided I needed a new ride....
Good looking pupper.
Best dogs ever.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #623
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
In a higher end art shop we saw an amazing dish shaped copper piece, 24 inches in diameter, with a band of color and irregular black lines that would look awesome on the fireplace, for $700. We might normally have bought a piece of pottery or two for maybe $100 each. Haven't bought it yet, but it's all we can talk about, and I think we are going to give in and blow the dough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
If it’s all you can talk about, you should definitely go get it. Seriously, unless you’re art junkies, how often does something speak to you so significantly? I don’t know what my limit is, but if I saw something that would be the perfect piece to hand above my mantle, I’d get it. I doubt $700 would stop me and I hope it won’t you. Share a picture.
Bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2749.jpg (729.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #624
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Bought.

Beautiful!
Old 04-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #625
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bought.
Wow, it looks so cool! And it's copper, so you won't have to worry about dropping it and breaking it like pottery!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:33 AM   #626

Yay!
Old 04-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #627
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Bought.
It's BEAUTIFUL!! I am so glad that it hadn't been sold, and you were able to buy it.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
Beautiful!
+1
Old 04-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #629

That is a stunning piece, DrRoy! Enjoy it!!!
Old 04-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #630
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I signed up for 16 day Grand Canyon rafting/hiking trip in Oct 2022. Expensive but doing it with some friends and a once in a lifetime trip. Fortunately we can drive so can avoid the airfare to save a bit of money.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #631

I’m selling a second home on Friday. I never really wanted the house, but I decided to buy it from my parents about 6 years ago to give them cash to pay off some debts. My parents continued to live there rent free. Dad passed away and Mom decided to move into an apartment in January, so I immediately started getting it ready to sell. As it turns out, my 26 year old niece and her husband wanted to buy it. So I decided money wasn’t everything and decided to sell it to them about $10,000 under what it probably would have sold for in the hot open market. At a loss for me.

Sooo, since there is no mortgage to pay off, I have decided to spend a portion of my sale proceeds to paint my own home, have my own home professionally landscaped this year instead of doing it myself, and I’m having the aging concrete driveway torn out and replaced with new asphalt. I’m quite excited about my projects. Although it will likely be June before the painting and driveway are done.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
My wife and I signed up for 16 day Grand Canyon rafting/hiking trip in Oct 2022. Expensive but doing it with some friends and a once in a lifetime trip. Fortunately we can drive so can avoid the airfare to save a bit of money.
You are going to love that so much! We had such a wonderful time that we went back and did it again five years later, second time with friends. I would even consider doing it a third time. Unbelievable place.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #633
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
I’m selling a second home on Friday. I never really wanted the house, but I decided to buy it from my parents about 6 years ago to give them cash to pay off some debts. My parents continued to live there rent free. Dad passed away and Mom decided to move into an apartment in January, so I immediately started getting it ready to sell. As it turns out, my 26 year old niece and her husband wanted to buy it. So I decided money wasn’t everything and decided to sell it to them about $10,000 under what it probably would have sold for in the hot open market. At a loss for me.

Sooo, since there is no mortgage to pay off, I have decided to spend a portion of my sale proceeds to paint my own home, have my own home professionally landscaped this year instead of doing it myself, and I’m having the aging concrete driveway torn out and replaced with new asphalt. I’m quite excited about my projects. Although it will likely be June before the painting and driveway are done.
Sounds like you value family over money! For that, you deserve a B-T-D reward! Enjoy.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:22 PM   #634
Give me a forum ...

You picture is resurrecting traces of the Green Eyed Monster I thought was shoved way back into my Psyche.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Sounds like you value family over money! For that, you deserve a B-T-D reward! Enjoy.
Thank you, Koolau. I appreciate that.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #636
Give me a forum ...

Aw, comon' asphalt?

Pour out a new slab and be done for life!
Old 04-06-2021, 05:36 PM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Aw, comon' asphalt?

Haha. Nope! I much prefer the look of a nice asphalt driveway. Hopefully, the guys I hired give me a nice one.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:15 AM   #638
gone traveling

i bought a pair down sleeping bags yesterday. i need the space in my trunk. i want to get that stimulus money spent. $600 for 2 bags is a waste of money. searching for an air mattress now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190713_090302.jpg (686.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 20180904_114836.jpg (600.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 20190717_174837.jpg (1.11 MB, 85 views)
Old 04-09-2021, 06:11 AM   #639

Good for you. I have 4 down sleeping bags myself. Well 4 between the wife and I. They last forever. We bought 2 in 1996 to go out to the Tetons and the other 2 are even older. In fact one of them was the first thing I ever bought with my own money after having a summer job at 16. Bought it in 1976. Made by Gerry, a company I believe started by Gerry Roach a well known climber/mountaineer in the Colorado area. It was rated to 0 degrees so it hasn't been used too much since.
However the root cause of your gear "problem" is that a corvette doesn't make a very good camping vehicle. You really need to blow that dough and add an SUV to your fleet.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:51 AM   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Aw, comon' asphalt?

Concrete doesn't wear well in some environments.