Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #721
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Couldn't decide whether this should be in "last order from Amazon" or Blow That Dough!

I think here since this is utterly unnecessary, but FUN.

OK, sort of fun ... had mechanical timers for lamps, etc at one point - then electronic timers - this is wifi enabled, software controllable from anywhere, built is timer and grouping functions ... or, is supposed to be. On order!

https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Requir...8506056&sr=8-1
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 12:01 PM   #722
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Couldn't decide whether this should be in "last order from Amazon" or Blow That Dough!

OK, sort of fun ... had mechanical timers for lamps, etc at one point - then electronic timers - this is wifi enabled, software controllable from anywhere, built is timer and grouping functions ... or, is supposed to be. On order!

That sounds pretty cool! We have a ton of timers (3 houses), so I'm interested in how well these work. Update us after you've tried them out, if you would. Currently I'm still using mechanical ones, with all their warts. I've just been too cheap to update to electronic, but I'd definitely make the jump to the wifi if they work well.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #723
Give me a forum ...

Bought new appliances, paint, pergo, lighting for my condo. Still need to order my sleep number bed and will also redo the bathroom once my son leaves. With only one bathroom it cannot be out of commission with 2 people.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #724
Give me a forum ...

TT--how exciting for you to plan your own space!
Old 04-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #725

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That sounds pretty cool! We have a ton of timers (3 houses), so I'm interested in how well these work. Update us after you've tried them out, if you would. Currently I'm still using mechanical ones, with all their warts. I've just been too cheap to update to electronic, but I'd definitely make the jump to the wifi if they work well.
They generally work well. I've had about six on/off smart switches and two smart dimmer switches for the last two years.
I use the Smart Life app on my Android smartphone to program them. I use them exclusively for lighting.

You can have a light go on 40 minutes before sunset and off at midnight, for example.
They automatically adjust for changing sunrise/sunset at your location and for DST.
And they automatically recover after a power outage...
Old 04-15-2021, 02:30 PM   #726
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
They generally work well. I've had about six on/off smart switches and two smart dimmer switches for the last two years.
I use the Smart Life app on my Android smartphone to program them. I use them exclusively for lighting.

You can have a light go on 40 minutes before sunset and off at midnight, for example.
They automatically adjust for changing sunrise/sunset at your location and for DST.
And they automatically recover after a power outage...
That recovery from a power outage would be important. I don't recall returning from a 2 week outing without the timers being messed up from (even) momentary power glitches. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #727
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Bought new appliances, paint, pergo, lighting for my condo. Still need to order my sleep number bed and will also redo the bathroom once my son leaves. With only one bathroom it cannot be out of commission with 2 people.

I bet that was fun,
Old 04-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #728

Quote:

Ok, you made me buy them. I had heard of them before, they have gotten really cheap. I have Alexa already, and may have a use for them at our second home to remotely turn stuff on and off. Already have a Nest T state up there.

Have been using X10 modules for decades. They still work reasonably well, but occasionally signal propagation on the house Romex is an issue. And the SW/Programming app is very old with limited support. If I can do everything I need to with these WiFi things, I can scrap the X10 stuff.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Ok, you made me buy them. I had heard of them before, they have gotten really cheap. I have Alexa already, and may have a use for them at our second home to remotely turn stuff on and off. Already have a Nest T state up there.

Have been using X10 modules for decades. They still work reasonably well, but occasionally signal propagation on the house Romex is an issue. And the SW/Programming app is very old with limited support. If I can do everything I need to with these WiFi things, I can scrap the X10 stuff.
I'm not sure how useful voice control might be for most smart light switches.
And even direct control of a switch from my smartphone is not something I use on a regular basis.
I mean, I'll verify functionality of a new switch with the app on my phone.
And I may do a demo of how it works to a visitor using my phone.

But if it's a cloudy day and I want the undercounter light in my kitchen on at 3 pm, I'll just press the on/off toggle button on the switch itself. Simple...
Old 04-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #730
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
I'm not sure how useful voice control might be for most smart light switches.
I have mostly smart bulbs, and a couple or so smart plugs. Mostly I have timers set up, from a few minutes before sundown until midnight or whatever. The smart bulbs adjust as sundown time changes, and I don't have to reset after a power outage. For other lights, it's really nice to be able to ask for lights to be turned on as I enter a room, perhaps with fulls hands. Or turn on my bedroom lights before going upstairs. It's also easy to set different colors or light levels. When I go to bed I tell Alexa to turn all lights off and this turns all the smart lights off regardless of timers. I made an exception for the front porch light to keep that on low all night.

A nice safety thing is that I can tell Alexa "Emergency lights on" and all smart lights will come on with full power in white, so my house is well lit on all levels, though not every room.

It all started with lights over my kitchen counter with a poorly placed switch, and once I saw how well that was working for me I got the other lights. I'm sure I could adjust to life without them, but I'd rather not.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #731

In same vein ... I should have posted on the $75 IP enabled irrigation controller add on ... it too was unnecessary, but has been great ... call up, modify schedule, turn off for x days when us supposed to be raining - haven’t done it, but also supposedly will take input from Rainbird server on the conditions for our area and start or stop based on that ...
Old 04-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #732

I’m with those in the above posts that really like the timer function. Since sunset (and sunrise) vary throughout the year, it’s a nice function to have. The flexibility these outlets give you is great. I do also like the voice communication function when hooked to Alexa. I can have it open the garage door and turn off all the lights in the family room just by saying. Not critical, but nice to have.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #733

I’m on a roll - kids are losing money ever time I buy something postworthy!

Picked up Epiphany In White three weeks ago - 2021 Subaru Ascent. Bought instead of more expensive BMW X5 due to wife’s epiphany that she was going to trade more often - would have kept BMW for 10 years - but could “rationalize” lesser time with less expensive car ��

So, today, and the purpose of this post - I bought the three year Security Plus “thing” - smartphone app based lock/unlock, start/stop, A/C/Heat, seat heater, location monitoring, disabling, theft tracking - didn’t NEED it, but might be useful! $72.56 for three years. No idea how the cost was derived.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #734
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

<SNIP>

didn’t NEED it, but might be useful! $72.56 for three years. No idea how the cost was derived.
Just like everything else: All the traffic will bear, baby, all the traffic will bear! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #735

Suffering from Keys Disease DW and I just booked our third quarterly trip to Key West. The first is August (not recommended for the uninitiated), November and February. We're fully vaccinated (for now) and it's near time to resume our travels. The way I look at it we return to the good old days of Zika ,West Nile and Dengue fever. There's always going to be something out there. Meanwhile it's time to Blow that Dough.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #736
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Suffering from Keys Disease DW and I just booked our third quarterly trip to Key West. The first is August (not recommended for the uninitiated), November and February. We're fully vaccinated (for now) and it's near time to resume our travels. The way I look at it we return to the good old days of Zika ,West Nile and Dengue fever. There's always going to be something out there. Meanwhile it's time to Blow that Dough.
Yep. If the gators don't getcha, the skeeters will. I agree about August. DW and I did our Keys thing in August and never caught your disease! Just watched a 3-part event on the life/work of Hemingway. We got to see his place in Key West. Maybe the best part of the trip as the weather was HOT.

Do enjoy!

Old 04-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #737
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I tried to BTD today but just couldn't make it happen. We live on a lake and so decided that we want to sell our little speedboat / run-a-bout and get a Tritoon.
Tritoons, are pontoon boats with 3 toons and, being older now, would much better meet our lifestyle needs on the lake. Many of our friends have made the swap in the past couple of years. They all made the same recommendation... "Wait for a boat show to get a good deal".
So we go to the boat show today ready, willing, eager and able to plunk down more on a new boat that it cost to buy our first home. Last year three of our neighbors came home from the same show. All with Tritoons, and for about 15-20% off list. This year was "Good luck friend. We've got nothing available, even at list plus" Like RV's, it's hard to find one available at any price. All the reps said that people were putting down money just to get an option to buy one. Any Tritoons they got allotted were per-purchased before they arrived. If I wanted to order one, I could hope to get it maybe by late August but no promises. Oh well......we tried!
Old 04-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #738
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I love the Keys. Been twice in past 6 months.

Will be heading there again on the winter.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #739
Moderator Emeritus

^ I feel your pain. It’s tough to blow that dough these days. Everything is on back order.

I reserved a Ford Bronco last July. It may be another year before I get it. I ordered an ebike for DW - it’ll be at least another month before i get it. Same thing with a bike rack - 45 days out. 60 days before the bike shop can do a tune up on my bike. The camera I want is out of stock with no indication of when it will be available. My woodworking store doesn’t have the hardwood I need.

I’m trying, but I just can’t blow any dough.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #740
Give me a forum ...

A new fridge, a new roof and a bunch of home stuff (bedding, soundbar, Fire TV stick, TV subscription, VPN)... I feel blessed that I can do all this without having to worry about money.
Closed Thread