Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 09:47 PM   #881
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Just bought a 15 day holiday tour in Greece-5 islands with short hikes for Late September. The next item is a birthday present to myself next year. Premier seats (6 rows from front of stage) at the Royal Albert Hall in London to see Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD) for their 40th anniversary concert March 2022.... absolutely giddy about that.

Definitely BTD for me on both of the above.

I'm jealous of OMD at Royal Albert. Have done shows there and would love to go back even if not working. Unfortunately never had the opportunity to see OMD live but it would be great. Have a playlist on my phone that I'll put on when I'm driving by myself and feel thirty years younger. Enjoy for me please.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #882
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Eventually I tried Cooper and Thief Red Blend, aged 3 months in bourbon barrels. Wow was it awesome! Thing is, it was $28. Plus tax.
Based on this rec (and your mention of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, which I also love), I got a bottle. I just opened it tonight to have with a nice tenderloin, and to celebrate my longest run in a year and a half. It's very good! I might have to keep a bottle in stock here at all times. Not sure if I'll go for a case.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:15 AM   #883
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Based on this rec (and your mention of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, which I also love), I got a bottle. I just opened it tonight to have with a nice tenderloin, and to celebrate my longest run in a year and a half. It's very good! I might have to keep a bottle in stock here at all times. Not sure if I'll go for a case.
I'm so glad you liked it! The case was just to get the price down.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:20 AM   #884
Give me a forum ...

So we have been shopping for a power leather recliner to put in the den when it gets re-paneled in oak. We saw a couple for about $1100 that were pretty comfortable, and the headrest reclines in a particular way that I prefer. They did both have sort of cheesy plastic cup holders though, which I didn't want. We then found one at Lay-z-boy that was genuinely the best of all - overall best comfort, great headrest, no cup holders, and even lumbar adjustment. However, it was literally double the others. Ordered it anyway.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #885
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This week was a large BTD week. We booked a 15 day Hawaiian cruise in a Vista suite. The fare was $12 K however, we had a credit from the cruise that was cancelled of $10.5K, which was in addition to a full refund. The cruise will only cost us about $3K

We were at Costco the other day, and DW saw a display of massage chairs. She has had back problems for a while, and after being in the chair for about a half hour she felt better.
Here is the website describing it:

https://massagechairstore.com/infinity-evolution/

It is a full body massage, not those ones they have in salons. The original price was about $9K, and we got it on sale for $6800
Old 05-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #886

Just returned from ten days in Maine, where I ate lobstah at least once every day, often twice. That blew some dough, but it was so worth it!
Old 05-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #887
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just returned from ten days in Maine, where I ate lobstah at least once every day, often twice. That blew some dough, but it was so worth it!
I was in Maine 10 years ago and recall that I never had better tasting lobster.
Good for you.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I was in Maine 10 years ago and recall that I never had better tasting lobster.
Good for you.
Next time you're up in that part of the world, I highly recommend Nova Scotia and PEI for not only the best but also the biggest. Better priced than Maine as well! If the border had been open that's where I would have gone.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #889

Quote:

Going to Acadia on Wednesday for our first trip this year. I prefer shrimp and scallops up there but lobster is always good as well.
Been to PEI and Cape Breton Nova Scotia a few times. Nice and mellow and very scenic.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #890
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That sounds great. We'll have to do that one year.

We did get good lobster in the Canadian Maritimes!
Old 05-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #891

Really blew some dough this month: Ordered a bolt-up metal building for 50'x60'x16' workshop. Price for just the building kit, doors, and windows is going to be $50K. The completed project will approach $150K mark. I still can't stomach the sticker shock but I am doing it.

PS: Real estate gods have showered us with some love when we sold the house so might as well pay it forward!
Old 05-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #892
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a good deal on three thousand square feet!
Old 05-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #893
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yum! That was our east coast trip planned and post poned last year. It is on track, hopefully, 2022 with some wonderful friends.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #894
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Man, that's a lot of lobster.

On an RV trip to Nova Scotia a few years ago, we had lobster twice in a week, each time a 2-1/2 lb lobster each. Thought that I was a lobster lover, but that lasted me a year or two before I had the craving for lobster again.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #895
Full time employment: Posting here.

Traded my old Jeep Wrangler, it was a 2017 with 30,000 miles, for this thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8DF9FB9D-08C9-4C4D-AC0C-FD587C0CDB8B.jpg (915.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #896

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post

Very nice! I’ve got a 2017 Wrangler with only 24,000 miles. If the Gladiator had been available in 2017, I’d have bought it for sure.

Your post has me thinking about blowing the dough and doing the same thing. Only downside is that my Wrangler is already set up as a “toad” for my motorhome and I’d have to redo that work/expense on a new Gladiator. But, something to think about.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #897

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Very nice! I’ve got a 2017 Wrangler with only 24,000 miles. If the Gladiator had been available in 2017, I’d have bought it for sure.

Your post has me thinking about blowing the dough and doing the same thing. Only downside is that my Wrangler is already set up as a “toad” for my motorhome and I’d have to redo that work/expense on a new Gladiator. But, something to think about.
I was very surprised on what the resale was on my 2017. I was not really planning on this but I traded pretty much my original sticker price to sticker price on the new one.

Now don’t get me wrong, there was still a pretty big spread, but I was trading a base model and bought a loaded out one.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #898
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Next time you're up in that part of the world, I highly recommend Nova Scotia and PEI for not only the best but also the biggest. Better priced than Maine as well! If the border had been open that's where I would have gone.
Ah good to know. Would not think of that.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #899
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post

Congrats! If all goes well, I should trade my 2001 corvette on a new wrangler within the next 10 days.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #900
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Congrats! If all goes well, I should trade my 2001 corvette on a new wrangler within the next 10 days.
Never too interested in jeeps in general, though my dad had a Willys Overland ca. 1951 for his business (the delivery part) which doubled as our station wagon. We 4 (at the time - heh, heh, started the 5th - apparently on this trip) piled in and drove to Grandma's house in Florida in 1952. Mom and dad dumped us on Grandma and went to their trade association meeting - and other things.

My understanding is that Jeep owners are only 2nd in loyalty to Subaru owners. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Closed Thread