Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, once you’ve achieved a big enough nest egg, you can stop carefully spending only on “needs”, and instead looking at your life priorities and how best to fund them.

Yep, life is short and you get only one...80/30,000/700,000/42,000,000/2.5B

Yeah, once you’ve achieved a big enough nest egg, you can stop carefully spending only on “needs”, and instead looking at your life priorities and how best to fund them.

Very well put.

My #1 priority is health, and unfortunately money does not really help that.

I guess if I get really sick, money may get me better treatments. Just may.

It's not a sure thing, else billionaires would live a lot longer than us, and I do not see evidence that it is true. They probably die in better comfort though, and that counts for something. :)

Not sure if this is really enough $$ to qualify as blow that dough but what is everyone buying on Amazon Prime Day? I ordered a mini DVD player to use with my projector for outside movies, a paperwhite kindle for reading - they are waterproof now for beach and pool reading, and some bluetooth headphones.

Well, as I posted in another thread, we had some water damage to the kitchen floor, due to a leaking dishwasher (even with the water main valve off).

Anyway, we got an insurance settlement that was quite fair, so we will replace that floor, right?

NO. We are going to paint the walls and replace all the floor in the kitchen, dining area, living room, entryway and hallway. So, instead of paying $1k (the deductible) for the damaged floor, we will spend about $7,500 for the painting and extra flooring.

In fairness, DW had talked about doing this before the damage, but now, here we go.

We CAN afford it, so what the heck.

Picked up my new Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid) yesterday:

8D0D55FD-9565-46CE-A361-177DF19D956A_1_201_a.jpg

I decided to BTD by getting the top-of-the-line Limited model with all the bells and whistles. I downloaded the 6 owners manuals from the Toyota website - 1800 pages!!!

We'll be giving my 2010 Prius to DD as her law school graduation gift. I really loved that car and based on the first 24 hours, I'll enjoy this one even more.

Reactions: W2R
I downloaded the 6 owners manuals from the Toyota website - 1800 pages!!!

That is just insane!

Suggestion: My car has the manuals loaded in the "infotainment" system, so I can just bring it up and use the search function to find what I need to look up. Yours may have the same feature.

Anyway, enjoy it! New cars are always fun.

Ordered new fridge from COSTCO yesterday through their new monthly ad;
https://www.costco.com/lg-28-cu.-ft.-wi-fi-enabled-instaview-refrigerator-with-door-in-door.product.100413016.html

imageService

It is $2,000 discounted $1,000 from their previous price of $3,000. My current fridge is 15 years old and the ice maker never did work right. This one has two ice makers; one in the door and one in the bottom freezer.
This new one is 28 cubic feet, the old one is 22. , everything I read says a fridge lasts normally 10 to 12 years. Who wants to panic shop for a fridge when their's conks out? Besides, my working one I'll be replacing can be sold for a couple hundred to help offset the price of the new one.

Last edited:

^ Very nice! Love the color.

Curious as to your purchase experience in light of all the stories we're hearing about paying above sticker price for some models. Was the car in inventory or did you order it a while back?

View attachment 39318

I decided to BTD by getting the top-of-the-line Limited model with all the bells and whistles. I downloaded the 6 owners manuals from the Toyota website - 1800 pages!!!

We'll be giving my 2010 Prius to DD as her law school graduation gift. I really loved that car and based on the first 24 hours, I'll enjoy this one even more.
Great color!

Yes, DW got the same color on the new Venza she recently bought, and has had so many compliments on it. Toyota is doing a good job on their color choices.

Some beautiful ways, you folks have BTD. Lol

I'm still waiting on BTD on a land deal. Still working things out and been in contact with the induvial but no hand shake yet. I sure hope I can BTD and get it done.

Some beautiful ways, you folks have BTD. Lol

I'm still waiting on BTD on a land deal. Still working things out and been in contact with the induvial but no hand shake yet. I sure hope I can BTD and get it done.

What will the additional land let you do?
Will you be able to graze more cattle on it?

^ Very nice! Love the color.

Curious as to your purchase experience in light of all the stories we're hearing about paying above sticker price for some models. Was the car in inventory or did you order it a while back?

The color is called Supersonic Red and it's only available (at extra cost) on some Toyota models. It really is stunning. My first (and most likely only) red car. My response to Koolau and my DH is that I really don't think LEOs are going to pay much attention to a Prius, so I hope I'm right.

There is essentially no inventory of anything and according to the dealer, with the 2022s coming out in late summer, it will get worse before it gets better due to the production downtime for model-year switchover.

I was able to test drive a regular Prius about a month ago and they checked their list of cars they were expecting to come in and found this one - exactly what I wanted. I thought it over for a few days and checked to see if I could find one in Houston or Dallas at a better price, but no one had anything. So it was a no-haggle deal at sticker price. Could have been better, but could have been worse.

ETA: I just got back from a 20 mile round trip without using the gas engine and a good bit of battery capacity left. Very cool!

What will the additional land let you do?
Will you be able to graze more cattle on it?
It is a original homestead from about 150 years ago. It now has some irrigated land with it and the old home and small shop/work area from those days. I would try to restore the old shop and put up a coral and will be able to hay it. I have no cattle anymore.

To answer your question, the land really doesn't let me do any thing more, except having more land. I would like to work on that piece of ground and would be a great project to fix and improve what is there without taking away the history. I would buck & rail fence it, and drive a well.

Last edited:
I like the idea. I've always wanted a place that I could shoot off the back porch or fish off the back porch, but that ain't gonna happen.

I can shoot BB guns off the back porch, the firearm range (outdoor) is 10 miles away, the indoor range is 2 miles and the boat dock is 10 miles away. Not bad for California!

But to have a clear shot out the back door for at least 1000 yards would be way cool! Or if the river wandered past...

Last edited:
But to have a clear shot out the back door for at least 1000 yards would be way cool!

I have a friend who can do pretty close to that. He bought a place where he can shoot from his back porch up to 600 yards with a nice berm at the target end and dense woods beyond that. It means a lot to him because he is one of those guys who very carefully load every round, grain by grain, for some amazing accuracy at long range. Once I get beyond 200 yards my accuracy falls off a lot, but he can handle it so the property is well used.

I ate a forty dollar lunch today sit down at the sushi bar with no drinks, just water. It's good to be back!

I ate a forty dollar lunch today sit down at the sushi bar with no drinks, just water. It's good to be back!
We went to a New Orleans Creole/Italian restaurant and I ordered their out-of-this-world chicken parmesan! It was soooooo good, best chicken parmesan ever and such a big plate full that I couldn't even finish. With just water, it cost $18 each so compared with what we usually pay for lunch elsewhere, that's almost BTD territory.

The Chef greeted us at the door since it wasn't too busy. We knew his (late) father, the prior Chef who lived just over the fence from us and whom we knew for many years, so being personally greeted by "Little Tony" made us feel welcomed like family. And he made the chicken parm just exactly like his daddy did, back in the day.

You're right! It's good to be back. :D

A couple thousand on the cat, which I swore I'd never do, though that was back when I was far from FI. I-131 treatment for hyperthyroidism. It's something like fully effective on 94% of cats so that helped convince me.

Besides, my working one I'll be replacing can be sold for a couple hundred to help offset the price of the new one.

Nah, put the old one in the garage as a spillover fridge. Great for sodas and water, and extra space in a pinch. Acts as your failover as well to avoid the panic buy if the main dies.

Our old one is over 20 years old now, doing just fine in a florida garage since 2007.

I have a friend who can do pretty close to that. He bought a place where he can shoot from his back porch up to 600 yards with a nice berm at the target end and dense woods beyond that. It means a lot to him because he is one of those guys who very carefully load every round, grain by grain, for some amazing accuracy at long range. Once I get beyond 200 yards my accuracy falls off a lot, but he can handle it so the property is well used.

Heh, heh, time to upgrade from the .22!:D

I've always wanted to do the old time long range open sights thing. Black powder cartridge loaded with heavy bullets, subsonic with the big tall ladder sights.

Quigley down under.

Hang say a 3 x 3 foot 3/8" thick steel plate off a couple posts on a hill, paint it red and loft those pellets in. High trajectory of course as low velocity and you can hear the hit. Which is good as you can't see it

To blow the dough, a shooter could do worse than with a Barrett 50-cal gun. Weight of 32 lbs, and length almost 5'. This is your dream gun.

The initial outlay is $10K, but after that each shot is only $3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom