Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 09:16 PM   #1101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I posted here a few times about wanting to blow some dough on a piece homesteaded land. The guy texted me a little while ago and the deal will happen and he will call me after the fourth some time.
I'm very excited about this purchase and will keep me busy rebuilding and improving the land. It has some irrigated land also so that will be nice.
Can't wait to blow that dough.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2021, 09:39 PM   #1102
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I posted here a few times about wanting to blow some dough on a piece homesteaded land. The guy texted me a little while ago and the deal will happen and he will call me after the fourth some time.
I'm very excited about this purchase and will keep me busy rebuilding and improving the land. It has some irrigated land also so that will be nice.
Can't wait to blow that dough.
Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress on the land.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #1103
Give me a forum ...

Yeah! And pics too!
Old 07-02-2021, 11:54 PM   #1104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
To blow the dough, a shooter could do worse than with a Barrett 50-cal gun. Weight of 32 lbs, and length almost 5'. This is your dream gun.

The initial outlay is $10K, but after that each shot is only $3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Everything I've seen or read about this weapon is that it is amazing - but not fun. Shooting one of these is brutal and a true assault on the body and the senses. Having said that, I'd like to try it once. YMMV
FWIW-the Barrett 50 isn't bad to shoot. Between the massive weight and muzzle device, I didn't find it uncomfortable. Loud and fiery for certain. Been beat up worse with an ill-fitting 12 gauge and lightweight .308s
Old 07-03-2021, 05:03 AM   #1105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah! And pics too!
Yep, I can do that. Just got the verbal, so will need to get the surveyor and lawyer started and I hope to get it done quick. The guy is a hermit and lives off grid at 8K on a mountain, so things can get interesting with communication reasons.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #1106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, yes. When you order expensive perishable items packed in coolers you had better plan to be home to receive them and store ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Our UPS and Fedex come anytime between 8 and 6 PM...so that can take a whole day.

Much easier when you are retired..
Heh, heh, just thinking: One of the reasons I FIRE'd was so I wouldn't have to BE anyplace at any time. Also, being FIRE'd means NOT needing to wait on partners, stake-holders, peers, suppliers, direct-reports, bosses, etc. etc.

Waiting for FEDX sounds like as much fun as waiting for one of my Megacorp "partners" to complete a requested test or procedure so that I could move ahead with a project. Didn't like waiting then and I don't like waiting now. Looks like the Velveeta will just have to do. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #1107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Yep, I can do that. Just got the verbal, so will need to get the surveyor and lawyer started and I hope to get it done quick. The guy is a hermit and lives off grid at 8K on a mountain, so things can get interesting with communication reasons.

Wait, you are buying land from "our" Hermit

it sound exciting when you give us an update can you give the background again, it's been awhile so I don't remember the details.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #1108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heh, heh, just thinking: One of the reasons I FIRE'd was so I wouldn't have to BE anyplace at any time. Also, being FIRE'd means NOT needing to wait on partners, stake-holders, peers, suppliers, direct-reports, bosses, etc. etc.

Waiting for FEDX sounds like as much fun as waiting for one of my Megacorp "partners" to complete a requested test or procedure so that I could move ahead with a project. Didn't like waiting then and I don't like waiting now. Looks like the Velveeta will just have to do. YMMV
I know and I wasn't even complaining our drivers put on so many miles a day. The route is predetermined by computer daily to make life better for my drivers, who I greatly appreciate.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #1109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you want something nice to arrive or not?

I don’t mind waiting on a delivery that’s full of amazing goodness that I ordered for our enjoyment. I have the flexibility to do things at home on any given day. No big deal.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #1110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you want something nice to arrive or not?
"not"

- if I have to wait around for it. Oh, and "nice" is in the eye of the beholder.

And I DO like Velveeta.

The older I've gotten, the less I'm willing to wait for anything. I won't stand in a line for almost anything. I'm not ADHD or overly demanding. It's just that my time is my most precious resource. I don't trade it easily. We're all different and have different standards of quality and value. Enjoy your delivery because YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #1111
Give me a forum ...

PS. I am not getting anything. No waiting, no going out.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #1112
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well, yes. When you order expensive perishable items packed in coolers you had better plan to be home to receive them and store ASAP.
otherwise, "quel fromage!"
Old 07-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #1113
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
FWIW-the Barrett 50 isn't bad to shoot. Between the massive weight and muzzle device, I didn't find it uncomfortable. Loud and fiery for certain. Been beat up worse with an ill-fitting 12 gauge and lightweight .308s
My youngest had fun with this last week at summer camp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240_machine_gun
Old 07-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #1114
Give me a forum ...

My turn.

When I travel, especially if I really like the place, I pick up a piece of good jewelry (my other passion). Very portable as souvenirs go. In 2006 DH and I were in Athens and there was a gold cross studded with a few semi-precious stones in the window. It was screaming my name so I bought it. A few years later, unfortunately, the chain must have broken when I was wearing it and I lost both the pendant and the chain but it was the loss of the pendant that really hurt- I just loved the design.

Yesterday I got a banner ad from a place that makes jewelry in Greece. Exquisite and expensive stuff. I looked through the crosses and yes, there it was. If not an exact duplicate it's darn close. Here's the link.

https://athenagaia.com/products/dama...s-flared-cross

I just ordered it. Now I have to stay away from the site before I find something else I can't live without!
Old 07-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #1115
Give me a forum ...

That's lovely! I like 18K too, more yellow (gold color) but still tough and durable.

Good Blow -
Old 07-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #1116
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe it still counts as "blow that dough", if it is just splurging on something I wouldn't have splurged on in the past.
I recently bought a very nice squirrel proof bird feeder, and then also got fancy expensive bird seed from the specialty birding store.
My cat Bert especially likes these choices. We call it cat TV when he watches the feeders out the window.
IMG_20210628_201142665.jpg
Old 07-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #1117
Give me a forum ...

You can also buy bird seed laced with hot pepper powder. The birds don't notice it but the squirrels take one sniff and run away. Pretty funny to watch.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #1118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My turn.

When I travel, especially if I really like the place, I pick up a piece of good jewelry (my other passion). Very portable as souvenirs go. In 2006 DH and I were in Athens and there was a gold cross studded with a few semi-precious stones in the window. It was screaming my name so I bought it. A few years later, unfortunately, the chain must have broken when I was wearing it and I lost both the pendant and the chain but it was the loss of the pendant that really hurt- I just loved the design.

Yesterday I got a banner ad from a place that makes jewelry in Greece. Exquisite and expensive stuff. I looked through the crosses and yes, there it was. If not an exact duplicate it's darn close. Here's the link.

I just ordered it. Now I have to stay away from the site before I find something else I can't live without!
Is that where you got your name?
Old 07-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #1119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is that where you got your name?
Not from that business, but yes, from the Greek goddess of wisdom. It was also the name of a song by The Who that was a favorite of my Ex's.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #1120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My turn.

DW got "addicted" to JTV (Jewelry TV). Talk about BTD. Fortunately, she "kicked" the habit a couple of years ago. I never minded her buying "good" jewelry (actual gold, etc.) but the stuff she was buying had no "value" other than the sparkle. DW pointed out that I'm constantly buying (used) DVDs at Goodwill, so I guess we're "even." YMMV

Closed Thread