Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #1341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
That's gonna look cool! Total stealth until you pop the hood -

You gonna install or hire?
Buddy (the one half a mil in debt at 76) put a blower on his Camaro. No need to pop the hood. You can hear the blower whine just above idle. Of course, now, he's taking the blower off the Camaro and is putting it on his Vette. (Did I mention he's half a mil in debt?) I guess he is taking "blow that dough" to the next level. Now he's "Blowing That Vette."

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #1342
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
If Robbie goes down, we'll all go down..
Speak for yourself.

With my WR being less than 1% right now, if the market crashes and it goes up to 4%, y'all will be up to your eyebrows swimming in shark-infested deep water.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #1343
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Did you have any problems with overheating? I'm setting it up for 6 psi boost, so not a lot. And the 6.0 LS engine and 6 speed auto are almost indestructible. Just worried that it may get hot pulling the long 6% grades around here. I have no intention to drive it like I stole it, just wanted a little more oomph for towing.

Some guys take these up to 14 psi and higher and get 800 hp out of them. Yikes.

No overheating issues at all. I already had the heavy duty towing package on the truck which has extra cooling from factory. I only ever got about 6 psi max boost. My supercharger was a Whipple, similar to your picture. My 92 454 was stock from valve covers down, this era of the big blocks was set up with very mild cam and heads with the smallest ports; like I said it was for low rpm torque. I did put headers and exhaust system on it. I could lay down 4 stripes with the dually rear tires and nothing in the bed. Stock it would struggle for 4500 rpm, after the supercharger and headers it would pull to 5500. Still very safe and 6 psi was nothing to cause problems. Double the boost and you probably want to have forged pistons, but the LS 6.0 have very strong bottom end that can handle a lot. You will be happy with the 6 psi boost if your intention is improved towing.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 07-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #1344

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
No overheating issues at all. I already had the heavy duty towing package on the truck which has extra cooling from factory. I only ever got about 6 psi max boost. My supercharger was a Whipple, similar to your picture. My 92 454 was stock from valve covers down, this era of the big blocks was set up with very mild cam and heads with the smallest ports; like I said it was for low rpm torque. I did put headers and exhaust system on it. I could lay down 4 stripes with the dually rear tires and nothing in the bed. Stock it would struggle for 4500 rpm, after the supercharger and headers it would pull to 5500. Still very safe and 6 psi was nothing to cause problems. Double the boost and you probably want to have forged pistons, but the LS 6.0 have very strong bottom end that can handle a lot. You will be happy with the 6 psi boost if your intention is improved towing.
Coolio! I figure the 6.0 6L90 combo can handle 6 psi worth of power without mods. Others are crying wolf and saying it will blow up. I have a hard time believing that.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #1345

Just got a Sonos Arc soundbar to replace my Sonos Beam. Was skeptical but the Arc is worth twice as much as the Beam. I love clear voices and the Arc delivers. With the Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds, it is a great system.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #1346

Blow That Dough! -2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I finally get to post to this thread...

Highlights include:
415sq ft of maint free deck.
52" wide stairs
Build on 16" , 6x6 treated with tripled up header with 52" deep footings
Gained stair access to back which was always a big want for our fam...

which allowed us access to the patio build we completed:

20 x 30 patio with two toned hardener, extra rebar and class IV
Extra 2 110a and 1 220a run for 85" Bravia you see a future hot tub
110 run for the 2 ceiling fans
Steel under decking with a single 30' gutter run on each side.

Gutters
New Door
New Patio Furniture
All new landscape
5 zone irrigation
Newly graded lawn

BTD 2021 baby!

Beautiful project! I like the added treatment on the posts. That looks so much nicer than plain posts.

When we moved here in 1983 the only access to the backyard was through the back of the garage. It was very awkward! We changed a window in the breakfast room to a sliding glass door and added a deck and stairs to the yard. It changed everything! After that we added a Sunsetter awning and once our weather allows it I am out there every day I can.

Enjoy your new spaces, they are beautiful!
Old 07-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #1347
Give me a forum ...

Wow, what an awesome outdoor space!
Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #1348

Thank you everyone, this outdoor space is magnificent!

We have been enjoying it with our family and friends. I can't wait to have some outdoor movie nights with the kiddos, some game day's with the friends and of course poker nights! Already had a large gathering of ~80 friends, family colleagues that got to enjoy this with us for my 40th. Our contractor finished barely in the nick of time, and we rushed to get the landscape done in the final hours. It's all impressive! Better than we expected. I had lots of control being the GC on the project, so it was nice, but stressful.

The toughest part...

Picking the colors. Ended up returning the first batch of brown steel for the cream you see as we decided it would get too hot, and be too dark down under the deck. The price of steel skyrocketed 1.5x, but it was the right move.

We still have some painting to do, and the contractor missed a small spot of caulk on the under deck to stop the sole small drip. All in all, we are happy!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:49 PM   #1349
Give me a forum ...

Well they say hotels in Hawaii have jacked up prices this summer, willing to endure higher vacancy, just to net more per room.

So yeah covid recovery seems to be a real thing.

Wonder what $700 a night gets you in Hawaii this summer.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:05 PM   #1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well they say hotels in Hawaii have jacked up prices this summer, willing to endure higher vacancy, just to net more per
Want to blow some dough?
Just try to rent a car, almost anywhere, if you can even get one.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #1351
Give me a forum ...

^^^ If you get a car, then you can sleep in it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #1352
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Want to blow some dough?
I reserved an Avis intermediate car thru Costco for $175, 4 days, in a medium sized midwestern city. I usually pick one of 3 area airports to fly there, and I think only one was outrageous. So it's worth a look, rather than punting travel for that reason.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #1353
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I reserved an Avis intermediate car thru Costco for $175, 4 days, in a medium sized midwestern city. I usually pick one of 3 area airports to fly there, and I think only one was outrageous. So it's worth a look, rather than punting travel for that reason.

Well no one comes to play in the Midwest, we're boring.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #1354
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Just booked us 2 nights at the Monterey Bay Inn. Deluxe ocean view, you can hear the slosh, it's only 20 feet away. Sixteen fifty!
20 feet away. I can see Robbie's plans. Bring along some salt water tackle and catch a free dinner from the hotel balcony. Then have the misses fry it up in the microwave with leftover butter from the free morning breakfast.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:52 PM   #1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
20 feet away. I can see Robbie's plans. Bring along some salt water tackle and catch a free dinner from the hotel balcony. Then have the misses fry it up in the microwave with leftover butter from the free morning breakfast.
Sounds more like a $825 breakfast
Old 07-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #1356
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve been living with 32” TV since 2007. DW said when I retire and we get a new house I can look at upgrading. So we retired and moved. We were at a store next to BestBuy and she asked if I wanted to go look. I had been looking at a 55” Sony led TV. She liked the look of the 65” OLED so that’s what we got. Now I tell everybody she bought a new TV. She said you might as well get the one that looks the best. I am overjoyed with her wanting to spend some money.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #1357
Give me a forum ...

Great Blow! She's right OLED is the best! And a 65 incher too -
Old 07-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #1358
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Want to blow some dough?

Folks around here are renting Uhauls for rentals.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #1359
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well they say hotels in Hawaii have jacked up prices this summer, willing to endure higher vacancy, just to net more per room.

So yeah covid recovery seems to be a real thing.

Wonder what $700 a night gets you in Hawaii this summer.
Uhhh. My spare bedroom?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Hmmmm. Microwaved fish. It would be just my luck to rent that room the next day.

Took DGF too Fingerlakes wine country. Bumped the hotel up to a king Jacuzzi suite. The nice restaurant was closed so we went to the fancy one instead. Over paid for two cases of wine, but it's what we wanted.
A BTD day for me, but I'm a piker compared to all of you above!