Boast about your hometown

Nothing to boast about. Born in Brighton UK, lived there till 3 years old, then moved to Greater London till 82 when I moved to the USA & Canada.

I was nurtured in Toronto. Left shortly after I graduated. Travelled many places (saw the world) and then returned for 14 years before leaving for good.

Great place to live and have a cottage for escape as both my kids have.

But I had the benefit of being raised there and then returning to see it with mature eyes. It is just fine but not the be all.

Home is where the heart is. Even many of my relatives have left.

They do have a great basketball team though!

I live in a suburb of Detroit. I’ve lived within about a 20 mile radius of list city my entire life. This town is nothing to brag about, but this area has a lot going on. The real brag, however, are the Great Lakes. There are little cities and towns on the lakes that are fantastic places to visit. All within at most, a long drive and some, just a couple hours. A couple that come to mind are Holland, Saugatuck, Traverse City, Glen Arbor, Tawas and Mackinac Island.

The next best thing to the lakes and outdoor activities is sports. Detroit has Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey all in one district downtown. One of the work perks was getting to go to at least a couple of games every year in the corporate suite. Great fans live in Detroit and sometimes the teams even live up to the hype, but more often, they disappoint, unfortunately. Still fun to go.

After that is music. Most bands will come through Detroit. I’ve seen a ton of concerts in my years. Enjoyed them all except one, but that’s another topic.

But the reason I stay here now is simple - family. DD1 is very close with three grand children and DD2 is only about an hour away.

I live in a suburb of Detroit. I’ve lived within about a 20 mile radius of list city my entire life. This town is nothing to brag about, but this area has a lot going on. The real brag, however, are the Great Lakes. There are little cities and towns on the lakes that are fantastic places to visit. All within at most, a long drive and some, just a couple hours. A couple that come to mind are Holland, Saugatuck, Traverse City, Glen Arbor, Tawas and Mackinac Island.

The next best thing to the lakes and outdoor activities is sports. Detroit has Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey all in one district downtown. One of the work perks was getting to go to at least a couple of games every year in the corporate suite. Great fans live in Detroit and sometimes the teams even live up to the hype, but more often, they disappoint, unfortunately. Still fun to go.

After that is music. Most bands will come through Detroit. I’ve seen a ton of concerts in my years. Enjoyed them all except one, but that’s another topic.

But the reason I stay here now is simple - family. DD1 is very close with three grand children and DD2 is only about an hour away.

I moved to Detroit in 1975 and worked there for four years. Met my ex wife there and she was from a long time GM family. We lived in Livonia and Westland then moved to Connecticut.

Last summer, three friends and I spent two weeks in the U.P. at the Great Lakes Boat Building School building a sailboat. What a beautiful area and we had a great time!

Grew up thirty miles as the crow flies from Mt St Helens. Nicknamed Little Chicago. R & R weekend stop for loggers back in the day. They closed the last 'House' in 1967 or so. Made Headlines in the neighboring Longview Daily News. Smelt Capital of the World - a joke among us teenagers when the wind shifted and the pulp and sulfite paper mill smell grew strong. 40's, 50's and early 60's were great. Kindergarten thru Junior College.

Now a 11k pop blip off I-5 between Portland and Seattle.

heh heh heh - 1976 thru 2005 New Orleans has been mentioned. :cool:

Grew up thirty miles as the crow flies from Mt St Helens. Nicknamed Little Chicago. R & R weekend stop for loggers back in the day. They closed the last 'House' in 1967 or so. Made Headlines in the neighboring Longview Daily News. Smelt Capital of the World - a joke among us teenagers when the wind shifted and the pulp and sulfite paper mill smell grew strong. 40's, 50's and early 60's were great. Kindergarten thru Junior College.

Now a 11k pop blip off I-5 between Portland and Seattle.

heh heh heh - 1976 thru 2005 New Orleans has been mentioned. :cool:

Tacoma smelled worse than Kelso, IMHO. Maybe because Tacoma was considered the armpit of my hometown.

Just what I was thinking.

Hometown is however you want to define it. I had a peripatetic childhood and early adulthood. I define my hometown as the place I have lived for the past 30 years.

Sure.

Birthplace - Mars

Up until two years ago, I spent my whole life within 25 miles of Detroit. It was a good wage with low cost of living, though the winters sucked. The town has a lot of potential, but I just got tired of the underlying racial tensions that divide that metropolitan area.

My hometown (where I spent most of my teenage years) was almost completely wiped off the map by a tornado on 5/31/1985, a week before I graduated High School. I'm always happy to see the sun rise on June 1st every year!

My childhood was spent in one of the poorest towns in Indiana. Even worse now...

Current location accidentally let me move here...

My "hometown" is now a farmer's field. When I grew up (on a farm a couple of miles away) it wasn't a booming place. It has 2 grain elevators, a garage, maybe a dozen houses and a general store. 50 years ago the garage and store closed, 40 years ago the elevators closed (and were bought by local farmers and moved to their farms) and over the next 20 years the houses were abandoned. After that a farmer bought the approximately 80 acres that comprised the town, levelled the abandoned houses and turned it once again under the plow. Today, even the railroad that serviced the elevators is gone, tracks picked up, no steel. BUT, there is still a road sign for it.

Nashville, the Music City. Great place to be a young musician. It was a great LCOL place until high growth brought in such demand for.real estate.

We moved to NW Alabama to escape Atlanta traffic and to take care of a family lake house. The river in our front yard is magnificent.

I grew up in Ashland MA home of Telechron which was started by Henry Warren the inventor of the electric clock. It's also where the Boston Marathon began in 1898, the town is now the second town the runners come through after starting in Hopkinton. It was a nice place to grow up, but not rural enough for me, so I moved north to NH after college.

My hometown is Philly. I lived there from 0 - 24, and within a short train ride for the next 35 or so years. Still in the suburbs, I have higher education, jobs, friends--all from Philly. There have always been many cultural events in the city. Certain neighborhoods have undergone resurgence, with growing universities, health conglomerates, and pharma leading the creation of new jobs.

Harlem NY

Born and raised in Harlem NY. So many things so I'll mention that if you like jazz it was home to some serious Jazz heavyweights and American composers
Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella, Billy Strayhorn.
When I was a kid the world famous Apollo theater was where I went. Saw just about every Motown great there.

My hometown is Philly. I lived there from 0 - 24, and within a short train ride for the next 35 or so years. Still in the suburbs, I have higher education, jobs, friends--all from Philly. There have always been many cultural events in the city. Certain neighborhoods have undergone resurgence, with growing universities, health conglomerates, and pharma leading the creation of new jobs.

Philadelphia is my adoptive hometown. Love it! I live in Fairmont, a few blocks from the Art museum.
It's a wonderful city

Philadelphia is my adoptive hometown. Love it! I live in Fairmont, a few blocks from the Art museum.
It's a wonderful city
Fairmount is one of the best areas. You're close to the museums located on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway: Phila. Art Museum, Barnes, Rodin, and so on. Great walking area near the Schuylkill and Fairmount Park, too.

My Hometown is Ann Arbor, Michigan. Truly one of the best cities anywhere. We lived there for 35 years and visit very often. We also lived outside of New Orleans for 28 years (Slidell) and had many good years there. Notably - we had one terrible year --- Katrina. We moved to Midwest near our children and grandchildren. Nice college town but we miss Ann Arbor fulltime.

I live in an area known in Wisconsin as the Kettle Moraine, where the glaciers from the last ice age dropped all their geological debris before retreating northward. The process produced a very bumpy landscape, dotted with small lakes. It's a bit like New York's Finger Lakes region; coincidentally, we also have the cliffs of the Niagara Escarpment nearby.

New Yorkers played a big part in the region's early settlement, so we have towns nearby named Rome, Utica, Palmyra, Port Washington. When Milwaukee was the machine shop and brewer to the world, the wealthy industrial magnates built vacation homes on our kettle lakes in the nearby communities, and families like the Pabsts and the Uihleins (Schlitz) still own some fabulous properties out here.

In nearby Oconomowoc, the movie "The Wizard of Oz" premiered for the first time anywhere in 1939. It also happens that nearby Watertown was the hometown of the Munchkin coroner in the film who pronounced the Wicked Witch of the East "sincerely dead." He went on to work in the front office of the Oscar Mayer Co. before an executive there had him don a chef's toque and put him behind the wheel of the Weinermobile as the original Little Oscar.

I'm originally from Chicago but I haven't been there in years. I get into Milwaukee once a month or so now that I'm retired; Madison, maybe every couple months. Milwaukee's Lakefront is spectacular and Madison has a neat, quirky downtown, but they're a little crowded for my taste.

I have had my current city as "hometown" for over 50 years. Most everyone has been here, and thus knows a lot about the pluses and minuses. I love it year around, except occasional hot and humid spells in summer. I live less than a mile from the Pike Place Market, I occasionally ride somewhere with my woman friend, but for the most part I walk wherever I go, and I stay pretty close to home. Some mornings I walk down and have my morning coffee at the market.

I don't like western Washington politics, but politics are not a big part of my life. My guess is that my friends and neighbors suspect that I am not fully gung-ho on liberal politics, but I never talk about it and I really try not to get involved in things over which I have zero power. Politics is almost a perfect example of something over which I have zero power.

One thing that I am very very happy about is that I bought a condo right where I like to be at the absolute bottom of the big real estate crash ~9 years ago. If I had stayed renting, by now I might be living in Lynnwood or worse.

Ha

My home town (where I grew up from 4-22) was founded in 1640, it was the birthplace for several founding fathers including 2 presidents (John Adams and John Quincy Adams) and John Hancock, though that part of town town eventually became a separate city (Quincy). We were 10 miles from downtown Boston, but I could still play in the nearby river, and roam around at ease.

Life was simpler then, "just be home before the street lights come on".

I’ve lived in 10 cities, 3 countries. I really don’t know which is my hometown? I left where I as born at age 5 so I have no knowledge of the place. And where we live now is fine, but we’re leaving in a month or two. We can’t afford to live anywhere truly boastworthy anyway...

Last edited:
Well, the city I’ve lived longest, where our children were born and was my original, Plan A for retirement is Caracas. It’s in a valley, around 800m elevation, so weather is much nicer than the tropical heat found elsewhere in the country. The mountain which is the northern border, “El Avila”, is beautifuly green, always visible and a landmark that helps avoid getting lost, There’s a funicular to the top with a breathtaking view of the city. When the kids were little we would hike to the top, have a snack, then hike back down. The hike starts at 900m altitude and reaches 2200m, and I did it more than once with a child on my back. :)

Just outside the city, about 35km but on the other side of the mountain, is the Venezuelan coast, with endless white sand beaches.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom