Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks very nice. I bought a nice road bike a few years ago as I'd always preferred that style. However, I wish I had bought a mountain bike, commuter or something more upright now. But I'd take such a hit on selling the road bike, that I just stick with it.

Enjoy the new ride!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's some good advice on saddles:
I just need a wider saddle to fit my wider behind.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling. If you are 50 or over, join the 50+ group at bikeforums.net with T-Al and me.
Can I join? EErrrr Iīve got a pedal-assisted bike....
Old 12-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #25

I went to the local bike shop today and got a helmet. Sadly they are going out of buisness, but everything was half off. After reading the above article I figure it would be better to put in some seat time before changing out the seat. But I do like the looks of those Brooks saddles. The problem is the weather is lousy, so it may be awhile.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Iīve got a pedal-assisted bike....
Which one? Is it a TRUE pedal assisted bike (a la Sanyo Eneloop) or just a bike with a electric motor?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Men tend to have trouble with their "man-parts" if you skip this step. If you have any doubt (or any pain), a good bike shop will help you with this.
I understand that this can affect the ladies too! The consequences just aren't as obvious. Different parts but the same artery that supplies the blood flow.
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Looks very nice. I bought a nice road bike a few years ago as I'd always preferred that style. However, I wish I had bought a mountain bike, commuter or something more upright now. But I'd take such a hit on selling the road bike, that I just stick with it.

Enjoy the new ride!
So what's the problem? Just go buy a mountain bike or a hybrid or whatever. It's ok to have more than one.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #30

I haven't kept up the the bike industry lately but in the past Klein was a well respected brand. I think that you made a good choice. In general you're much better off buying a quality used bike than a cheap department store bike.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Which one? Is it a TRUE pedal assisted bike (a la Sanyo Eneloop) or just a bike with a electric motor?
Sam: itīs a BH E-motion with Panasonic battery and motor. No throttle. Youīve got to pedal! But itīs an incredible help on all sorts of hills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bici2.jpg (1.13 MB, 3 views)
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 AM   #32

That's a true pedal assisted bike. Nice! What is the longest distance you have covered between charges?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #33

Tt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
That's a true pedal assisted bike. Nice! What is the longest distance you have covered between charges?

It depends... Anyway, no less than 50 km.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
So what's the problem? Just go buy a mountain bike or a hybrid or whatever. It's ok to have more than one.
This was explained to me by a friend at a bike swap. The number of bicycles you need is n+1, where n is the number of bicycles you have.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Isn't that a Klein hanging on the wall in the background on the old Seinfeld series?
YES.

Get thee to a source of information on how high the seat should be for your leg length. Many people who don't know any better select a height that is too low, which can cause knee problems.

I rode for about 5 years, during and after I was racing an off road motorcycle. Best advice for a new off pavement rider: Don't untill you can shift, brake and steer without thinking about it. Then start on the mole hils before you go to the mountains.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #36

The kid at the bike shop gave me some basic's on setting the seat height, and of coarse I have read several articles also. Now I just need some warmer weather, I am not going out in the snow. I also don't plan on hitting the rough trails till I get much more comfortable with this. I'll start off ridding on the side streets in my very small town and probably checking out the nature trail at the local park.

The bike is very light, my wife's electra weighs much more. And it seams to be well built, it shifts very smoothly and the shift levers and brakes work well. The bike cost over $2,000 new in 2001 so it should be of decent quality. The previous owner just didn't ride it, it still has the original tires and the whiskers are still there.

My wife loves to ride her bike and has a friend that joins her. Also we get tons of bike riders out here on their road bikes. We actually had some locals wanting to try an ban them somehow. There complaint was with the large groups of 20 or more blocking the road. I plan to ride mine in the morning after all the other folks go to work, and before my afternoon tee times. And we will take the bikes on trips with the camper.

At least that's the plan.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
This was explained to me by a friend at a bike swap. The number of bicycles you need is n+1, where n is the number of bicycles you have.
Can I get you to talk to my wife?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
Can I get you to talk to my wife?
Surely the equation speaks for itself. It is pure science.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote