Brazil Travel Recommendations?

grumpy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our son is getting married to a wonderful Brazilian woman in November 2008. The wedding will be held at the beach in Florianopolis (an island off the southern coast of Brazil). We hope to include a South American cruise after the wedding before we return to the US. I have read the many recommendations re: Machu Pichu but I am interested in recommendations for other places not to miss. Anybody done a South American cruise they would recommend? We will consider an Amazon cruise or one that covers other countries.

Grumpy

In addition to visiting Machu Pichu, I would also visit the Galapagos Islands. When I was young we visited Ecuador and during our visit we saw the Galapagos Islands. It was really an awesome site.

Other sites I have seen that are great in South America include (but are not limited to):
1.) Easter Island - Chile
2.) Cusco - Peru
2a.) Lake Titicaca - Peru
3.) Brazils Amazon and Rainforest - Brazil
4.) The Pantanal Wetlands (As shown in the previous post) - Brazil
5.) Any of the NICE beaches outside Rio de Janeiro. - Brazil
6.) Iguassu Falls - Brazil
iguassu.jpg

Haven't done a cruise, but a tour of Chile, Argentina & Brazil. If you are able to go inland, you must not, under any circumstances, miss Iguassu Falls!!!! It's at its wettest and thundering loudest in Spring (Octoberish). Visit both the Brazilian and the Argentinian side.

Personally, I loved southern Chile and the Cruise across the Andes (Bus, boat, hovercraft, lakehopping across from wast coast (Puerto Montt, Chile) to east coast (San Miguel de Bariloche, Argentina).

Several friends of mine have been to Buenos Aires (on different trips) and can't say enough good things about it. They rave about the food, especially the beef. We'll definitely be visiting on our next trip to South America.

I also second ER1978's recommendation of Cusco and Lake Titicaca. If you are going to go to Machu Pichu anyways, I would recommend a couple of days in Cusco. Titicaca is not easy to get to though, but worth it for its beauty and culture.

Haven't done a cruise, but a tour of Chile, Argentina & Brazil. If you are able to go inland, you must not, under any circumstances, miss Iguassu Falls!!!! It's at its wettest and thundering loudest in Spring (Octoberish). Visit both the Brazilian and the Argentinian side.

Absolutely agree!!!! We went there in 2001, and it was the most amazing experience. My picture under my screen name is from there.

Niagra Falls are nothing in comparison.

Iguacu Falls are not as high, but they span somelike 3 miles long. There are trails on both sides, with one spectacular view after another! We also rode a bi-motor boat UP the falls and through Devil's Throat falls. An experience of a lifetime, IMO.

I lived in Florianopolis for nearly a year, it's a wonderful island. There is a good chance I will end up there on a more permanent basis in the future when I decide to settle down. November is spectacular time to be there.

I hear there is a nice cruise from Valparaiso, Chile around Cape Horn to Antarctica and then back up the eastern side of S America. I can ask my former work colleague who is taking this trip starting December 15 if you want more info about it.

My favorite spot in the world is Ilha Grande, Brazil (photos on google images) and Parati is a nice town also. They are both south of Rio in an area call Costa Verde. I have some nice modestly priced places I have stayed but there are also amazing 5 star resorts in the area.

If you go to Machu Picchu spend the night in Aguas Calientes. It is a spectacular setting! Cusco is really charming. And if you want to travel around the area you can see some other ruins as well. The Sacred Valley is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes.
The Galapagos deserve at least a four day cruise. Every island is different and fascinating.

My favorite spot in the world is Ilha Grande, Brazil (photos on google images) and Parati is a nice town also. They are both south of Rio in an area call Costa Verde. I have some nice modestly priced places I have stayed but there are also amazing 5 star resorts in the area.

Andy- I visited Ilha Grande over x-mas. Although it was a little crowded due to the season, I had a great time. We hiked from Abraao to Lopes Mendes - amazing views and beaches. Next time, I hope to be able to do some paragliding. :)

November a bit too cold to hit the beaches at MarDel or Punta, but Floripa should be OK. Actually, the whole coast up from past Boicucanga, SP to Trindade and Parati to Ilha Grande should not be missed. Spent several w/e's doing just that in Oct/Nov. 2004 and not crowded at all. Once you get past Rio, there are nice beaches in/around Arraial do Cabo & Buzios, up to Rio das Ostras and the border with ES. The latter is where I'd like to take ER abroad.

Are you looking for nature or culture and people watching?

I love Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, but they're not for everyone, especially the latter.

Buzios is a nice resort area but if you're already spending time in Florianopolis you probably won't need to travel to another.

Olinda (near Recife) is also very pretty, my wife and I spent part of our honeymoon there. Manaus is interesting, and you have ready access to Amazon cruises if thats your thing.

I've not been to Belem, at the mouth of the Amazon, but I understand its a fascinating place.

If you want to leave Brazil I highly recommend Buenos Aires, its only a 3 hour flight from Rio and is one of the most fabulous cities in the world.

Back
Top Bottom