Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
I like your rebar holders too. Wouldn't they create a crack propagation plane though?
I was thinking that too but evidently they don't? My wife says they wouldn't and she is the boss. They are called Accufooting rebar holders...I sure hope they are ok because they made the install so easy and clean.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those footers and rebar holders will be fine. Shouldn't be any issues with cracking etc...

I'm helping a concrete man do a few jobs this summer. He is close to 70 and still does a few jobs to stay in shape and he has asked me the last two years if I would help on a few jobs.

Concrete work is a very demanding physical labor for the body. It is hard work but enjoy the great work out involved with the jobs I have helped him with.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

We downsized 7 years ago from 4300 ft2 to 2400, and both DW and I are missing at least some aspects of the bigger house and yard. Wish I could tack on another 600 ft2 and double the current lot size.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #144

Concrete crane pumper arrived this morning along with the crew and dang if they didn't have all the concrete pumped in the forms in under 30 minutes. Two hours after arriving they were done wet setting the vertical rebar and eating the donuts I brought.

I heard the guy tell his son (one of the crew) that he should still abide by the rule that they don't pour on homeowner setup forms, this one is an exception because it was done so well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumptruck.jpg (1.31 MB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg footingdone.jpg (1.39 MB, 68 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Concrete crane pumper arrived this morning along with the crew and dang if they didn't have all the concrete pumped in the forms in under 30 minutes. Two hours after arriving they were done wet setting the vertical rebar and eating the donuts I brought.

I heard the guy tell his son (one of the crew) that he should still abide by the rule that they don't pour on homeowner setup forms, this one is an exception because it was done so well.
Looks like a great start! Keep us posted with your progress!
Old 05-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Nice! Keep us informed on the build and progress.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 PM   #147

Congrats to you! Thanks for keeping us updated.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:34 AM   #148
Full time employment: Posting here.

We moved from 2300 sf on two floors to 1900 sf on one, expecting to have two of us living in it. We looked at city houses in the 1400 sf range, but weren't comfortable with the small rooms. A gut renovation into a 2 bedroom house and a single living space would have been OK for the two of us at that size, but we wanted a house in move-in condition.

Our adult daughter (grad student) is with us unexpectedly because of COVID-19, making it just a little crowded.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Looks very neat, and it's interesting to see the progress.
In one of the pic's I see a house, is that a neighbor house, or is this building an additional house ?

I was surprised that the footing didn't have more vertical rebars, or a keyway. I've never done a footing so just wondering.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

We live in 1400 sq ft and due to the virus my adult son moved in. Definitely enough space for all of us.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I was surprised that the footing didn't have more vertical rebars, or a keyway. I've never done a footing so just wondering.
We placed our vertical rebars about every four feet when we poured our footings. I can't remember if that's code or not, but it looks like Fermion has theirs at least that close.

Our footings were only 10" thick and only has two horizontal runs of rebar. So Fermion's looks very well done. Our house is only one story though, so that may be the difference. We haven't had any cracks in over 15 years, so it's doing it's job.

Great job Fermion! Keep us updated, I love this stuff.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

The neighborhood we live in requires a minimum 1700 sq ft house. Our's at 4300 sq ft, it is on the smaller side amongst our neighbors.

We bought it because we liked the floor plan and view lot, but also with aging in place in mind. We have room for a live in and enough separate space to maintain our privacy. Our two guest bedrooms are nice for visiting guests, especially grandchildren. We also have an exercise room and office big enough for two big desks. We don't use our guest bedrooms every week but we do use them for other things, there is a desk in one, with my sewing machine and ironing board up and ready for any project. We've told our one nearby grandson, one room is his, he has a toy box in the closet and loves having his room whens he's here. He's coming tomorrow to stay with us for two nights.
In Southern California, we don't pay much to heat, we have solar for our AC.
To each his own.
Sunnymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnymar View Post
The neighborhood we live in requires a minimum 1700 sq ft house. Our's at 4300 sq ft, it is on the smaller side amongst our neighbors.
Wow, I wouldn't know what to do with 4300 sq/ft and certainly wouldn't want to clean it. Heck, our current 1456 sq/ft "mansion" would still be too small for your neighborhood.

When we built our house in 2004 the minimum home size was around 500 sq/ft. With the popularity of tiny homes and accessory dwelling units they now allow as small as 150 sq/ft. I don't think I could even go that small.

Even with "just" 1456 sq/ft I've got my 12x14 office, my wife has her own 12x14 office/guest room, and we have a nice 16x22 master suite. We have never felt cramped, even when our daughter lived at home. If anything, it's more space than we need, and with vaulted ceilings throughout it feels very open and roomy.

I guess we're living in the lower class. We always joke we're in the caretaker house for the surrounding McMansions that surround us. We don't entertain guests or have parties, so we don't have lots of extra space for people who don't live here.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #154

Forms were removed yesterday from the stem walls! Looks pretty good. We used some gigantic hurricane straps because the small ones were out of stock. Next time a hurricane hits the mountains of eastern Washington, we will be super safe!

Next step is to coat the outside of the stem wall (and the footing I guess) with some sort of water proofing (tar, epdm, something) and install the footing drain pipes and gravel, then backfill. After that we have to build a few crib walls out of wood to get everything at the same level for installing the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stemfin.jpg (1.46 MB, 59 views)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #155

Quote:
Forms were removed yesterday from the stem walls! Looks pretty good. We used some gigantic hurricane straps because the small ones were out of stock. Next time a hurricane hits the mountains of eastern Washington, we will be super safe!

Next step is to coat the outside of the stem wall (and the footing I guess) with some sort of water proofing (tar, epdm, something) and install the footing drain pipes and gravel, then backfill. After that we have to build a few crib walls out of wood to get everything at the same level for installing the floor.
Looking Good! Also looks small, what is that maybe 20'x20'?

Interesting straps. Here is Western Washington we had to install seismic anchors in various places where we didn't have enough shear walls (basically where we had lots of windows). The placement was a lot more critical to ensure they didn't end up where a stud or joist needed to go.

Also noticed the two chairs in the background. We often sat and stared at each days progress too.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #156

It is not square (has a 12 foot x 12 foot tower that juts out a bit on one side of the front and a 8 x 16 mud room on the other side of the house that is against a 24 foot wall.

It fits within a 30 x 36 footprint, but is closer to 28 x 30 overall...but 2 stories.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #157

Quote:
It fits within a 30 x 36 footprint, but is closer to 28 x 30 overall...but 2 stories.
Interesting, it doesn't look that big in the photos. When we built our house it was weird how the perception of space changed as we progressed. It felt huge when we built the foundation, then felt small again after we built the walls. We actually worried some of the rooms were a little too small after framing them up, but once the sheetrock and cabinetry went in they felt really big again.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #158
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have been looking for the right piece of land to build our retirement home. Pouring over plans on the internet for a layout that gives us the configuration that fits us. We downsized about 12 years ago from a 2 story to a ranch, (with finished basement), as we didn't want to go up and down stairs at least twice a day.

Was thinking of doing a metal or pole barn storage/workshop and a 1500 sq. ft house plus garage but, are also considering a cape cod style with 1 bedroom and an unfinished upstairs that I can finish as wanted. Plus oversize garage on both sides with 1 side dedicated to workshop and or bonus space later on if necessary.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Looks great!
Are you going to stick build the home yourself?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #160

The floor plan is more important to me than the sq. ft. Our ranch is the same sq. ft. as the 2 story we sold (2500 sq.ft.). The floor plan we have now is great b/c there are basically two master BR areas that offer privacy and full bath to guests on opposite sides of the house and no stairs. Plus DH can work or watch TV in a different area than me or we can watch together in another area. We have 3 TV's in different rooms. The kitchen is in the center with french doors to the sunroom and it's open to the main living area.