Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2021, 09:13 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Note that we sloped the front deck away from the house 1" over the 6 feet width (but level over the 16 foot length). This is considered best practice for draining water away from the house...1/8" to 1/4" for every foot. So we just spun the laser over to the posts and marked down 1" from there.
I've always figured that water will drain between the deck boards so I never sloped any decks that I built.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 07:25 AM   #242
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I've always figured that water will drain between the deck boards so I never sloped any decks that I built.
Probably true. I was worried I might noticed a 1" drop though and I don't notice it at all so I guess it doesn't hurt anything to do it.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably true. I was worried I might noticed a 1" drop though and I don't notice it at all so I guess it doesn't hurt anything to do it.
I might have noticed a 1" drop on the deck (or maybe not) but I probably would have been more concerned with other people noticing and thinking that I built my deck crooked
Old 05-12-2021, 07:56 AM   #244

I think I read in one of those "build your own deck" how-to books, they do recommend the slope, but I also wondered why, given the gaps. I'm using existing structure, so don't need to make that decision.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #245
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It helps get water off the substructure too.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Everything I have read recommends 1/8" to 1/4" per foot but several sites do say you don't need a slope if your deck has gaps and the boards are oriented parallel to the house.

I think we will still do the slope on the back deck like we did on the front, even though we have spaced the boards apart according to the Fiberon specs (3/16" gap). That small of a slope I can't see visually or feel when walking on the deck. Heck, maybe in a snow storm/freeze the gaps can get frozen and then you could get melt water on top of them...I dunno
Old 05-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #247
Give me a forum ...

The genius that built my deck (part of the house that we bought) decided that it would be cool to put the decking on a 45 degree angle. A real pain to sweep, shovel snow off, etc.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The genius that built my deck (part of the house that we bought) decided that it would be cool to put the decking on a 45 degree angle. A real pain to sweep, shovel snow off, etc.
I shovel and sweep my deck in every different direction...the direction the boards run has no effect on how the job turns out.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #249

I think that Fermion's decision to slope the deck away from the house is a good one. I think everyone would agree that sloping it towards the house would be a bad idea.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:24 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Everything I have read recommends 1/8" to 1/4" per foot but several sites do say you don't need a slope if your deck has gaps and the boards are oriented parallel to the house.

I think we will still do the slope on the back deck like we did on the front, even though we have spaced the boards apart according to the Fiberon specs (3/16" gap). That small of a slope I can't see visually or feel when walking on the deck. Heck, maybe in a snow storm/freeze the gaps can get frozen and then you could get melt water on top of them...I dunno
Are you going to put a water drainage system under the deck joists, so that the area under the deck is rain free ?
Old 05-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Are you going to put a water drainage system under the deck joists, so that the area under the deck is rain free ?
Both decks will have roofs with gutters...not sure what a under deck drainage system is?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #252

Quote:
Both decks will have roofs with gutters...not sure what a under deck drainage system is?
Just what I was thinking. The roof makes the slope much less important. I like your design...to have several covered outdoor areas.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:58 AM   #253

Quote:

I have a 6 foot wide farmers porch on my house and sloped it 1" total as well.
My floor boards are normal to the house so the water can run right down them. I do however also have a roof and gutter on it so who knows if I needed to slope them. As someone said earlier better to slope away than towards the house
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:18 AM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think that they might be talking about somethng for higher decks that wouldn't apply in the case of your deck since it is so low to the ground.

We have a deck that is 7-8' above grade and we also use the area under the deck. So while the deck itself is level we installed corrugated plastic panels under the deck joists and those are beveled away from the house so rainwater that falls on the deck and drips through the gaps between the deck boards then falls on the the panels and drains away from the house. It also provides for dryer storage for stuff that we store under the deck.

At one point we were thinking of putting a hot tub under the deck but haven't done it yet.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Our back deck is pretty high....about 12 to 13 feet off the ground.

Speaking of back decks, we started on it this week and got the poles, beam and joists installed.

The beam was constructed of three 2x10 16 foot long pressure treated boards...it was heavy after we bonded them together. We used a trick with the wall jacks to allow us to crank it up to the top of the posts easy as pie and safe. Those wall jacks, which were less than $100 at Menards, are just amazingly useful.

This back deck will have a roof on it, that is the next step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beamup.jpg (1.58 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg beamed.jpg (1.51 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg joisted.jpg (1.54 MB, 30 views)
Old 05-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Ah... I thought that we were talking about the deck pictured on post #217.

Do you have any plans to use the area under the deck? Perhaps a patio underneath?

Old 05-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Ah... I thought that we were talking about the deck pictured on post #217.

Do you have any plans to use the area under the deck? Perhaps a patio underneath?
I don't know. I wasn't thinking of anything but a patio might be nice. You think like building a sub "deck" underneath and tying it in lower to the posts?

My wife at one point said we might lattice it but a patio might look nicer and be more useful.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I guess you could do another deck below and have something to sit in the shade, but I was thinking just pavers on the ground.... less maintenance.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #259

Wow, that back deck is seriously "up there"w

Supporting a roof on that kind of structure is what I wanted to do, but no contractors made a bid (tried 3). I think they were scared off by the inaccessible footings under the 6x6 posts...if not big enough, that wouldn't be to code (decks don't need as much SF size as roofs). I hope you have good plans for diagonal bracing...you don't want that deck swaying any if the roof on it is tied to the house!
Old 05-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Yes, for sure we will be adding diagonal bracing before we remove the temp adjustable braces. We were just discussing how we wanted that to look/work today.

For the footings on this deck, we used a 24" diameter plastic cone Bigfoot form attached to a 40 inch long 10 inch diameter Sonotube and filled the whole thing with concrete and 3 sections of rebar vertically with a 6 inch L bend at the base into the larger part of the 24" cone foot. We do things serious.