Join Early Retirement Today

Re: calling all RV'rs
Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
What did Greg do for a living? - Plumber?
Every landlord is a plumber.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Every landlord is a plumber.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
arc
What did you think of this idea? Would it suit you? I'll have to check into it and see if they offer anything reasonable... thanks for the link!

[

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
For me it is very attractive - I'm not interested in (and probably not capable) of maintaining a motorhome. The idea of someone storing it, maintaining it and delivering it to me in good condition is right up my alley. Additionnally it would feel terrible to pay 100K for a motorhome and only use it a couple of weeks per year. I also like the fact that it's a 3 year deal - fairly low risk if not working out.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

ARC:
Quote:
For me it is very attractive - I'm not interested in (and probably not capable) of maintaining a motorhome. The idea of someone storing it, maintaining it and delivering it to me in good condition is right up my alley.
I completely understand. I am not mechanical in any serviceable way - other than using a key or pressing a button, I have no clue as to how things actually work. My interests lie elsewhere.

I loved the RV life - or most of it - everything but the repairs - none of which I understood. If I were by myself I would simply call a repair person... duh.. :P

Quote:
Additionnally it would feel terrible to pay 100K for a motorhome and only use it a couple of weeks per year. I also like the fact that it's a 3 year deal - fairly low risk if not working out.
I believe I quoted a really good deal earlier in this thread - a late 90's early 2000 5th wheel with slide outs, leather interior, washer dryer, new carpets etc. etc. fully furnished for $30k. I'm sure he would take $25k cash. The towing vehicles we have seen for sale here also follow similar pricing. Read: reasonable.

There is no reason to have one's first RV cost that much money. How do you know you will like the lifestyle? Try it out first. Then decide. Buy used and stay simple. The more gadgets you have, the more things break.

The more 'stuff' in it (i.e. washer /dryers, real (heavy) wood instead of 'look alike', real marble countertops instead of something more simple, real glass shower doors instead of a shower curtain or plexiglass, etc.) = more weight = more fuel usage. All this stuff starts to add up.

At least,... that's my opinion...

Good luck! Hope you find something you like..
Akaisha
Old 03-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Not ready to full time yet, DW has 6 more years to work. Kinda doubt it then anyway. We are looking at buying a ten ft box pop up this year though, for weekends and short trips. Plus I'll use on fishing trips. First will have to upgrade the vehicle. We like our house but it is nice to have getaways once in a while. Had a pop up years ago and got lots of use out of it.........shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder
Not ready to full time yet, DW has 6 more years to work. Kinda doubt it then anyway. We are looking at buying a ten ft box pop up this year though, for weekends and short trips. Plus I'll use on fishing trips. First will have to upgrade the vehicle. We like our house but it is nice to have getaways once in a while. Had a pop up years ago and got lots of use out of it.........shredder
I was in Phoenix visiting my sister last weekend. Her five boys and their families live in the area (Phoenix and Tucson). They are all fanatic hikers, campers, climbers, rafters, etc. Her oldest just bought a pop-up trailer and a new truck to pull it. The thing looks great - even has an AC. He was as happy as a clam.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to Bayfield40

We've been fulltiming for about a year. Started out on a sailboat and moved due to a health issue. We sold everything originally and are really happy with the lifestyle. Our biggest issue is affordable health insurance. Other than that, it's great! We may buy some property to use as a part time base, but really like being able to go wherever we want, whenever we want! 8)
Bayfield40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #48

Bayfield40
Quote:
Our biggest issue is affordable health insurance. Other than that, it's great! We may buy some property to use as a part time base, but really like being able to go wherever we want, whenever we want!
What do you do about your healthcare? Have you found a way to get what you need affordably? What do you recommend as a solution?

I really dislike this HCare issue controlling so much of people's retirement plans.. :P

What do you think?

Congratulations on enjoying the 'footloose' lifestyle of RVing!

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 03-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

We're 3/4-timers. I'm retired for 3.5 years & DH is still working. He's a journeyman power lineman & can travel with his work. We have a 38' travel trailer w/ one slide, pulled with a heavy duty box truck. The "box" holds the small SUV & his Harley, as well as other assorted "stuff". We're able to claim all the travel expenses & trailer depreciation as work related.

We stayed in LasVegas last Jan-May, then went to Indiana June-Oct, then have been in our "stick" home in Ohio since. He's getting "hitch-itch" to leave, but the weather hasn't been too conducive to getting out of Dodge.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to Bayfield40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Bayfield40

What do you do about your healthcare? Have you found a way to get what you need affordably? What do you recommend as a solution?

I really dislike this HCare issue controlling so much of people's retirement plans.. :P

What do you think?

Congratulations on enjoying the 'footloose' lifestyle of RVing!

Be well,
Akaisha
Akaisha,

Thanks! We love Rving! Well, our situation has changed a few times since we began. We used our cobra from our jobs originally. I then worked for a while while we waited out hurricane season on the boat and I again took cobra. At that point, we weren't sure what we would do when it ran out, but I figured I'd probably have to go to work again.

In the meantime, my husband had a heart attack and we found out his heart was in pretty bad shape. Thus, the sale of the boat and acquisition of the RV. We are still on cobra until July. In the meantime, I plan on submitting an application to the VA for him. I will look for an individual plan that has high deductible for myself, but if I'm unable to find one, I'll be back on the payroll somewhere I suppose. That makes it not really "retirement", but thats our option for now.

As for a solution, I don't see one. Either you have millions to retire on and can afford it or you are desitute and qualify for some kind of assistance. Those of us in the middle just do the best we can.
Bayfield40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #51

Gosh, Bayfield... so sorry to hear about your husband's health chalenges. I hope he gets what he needs at the VA.

Quote:
I will look for an individual plan that has high deductible for myself, but if I'm unable to find one, I'll be back on the payroll somewhere I suppose. That makes it not really "retirement", but thats our option for now.
If you are possibly thinking of employment (part or full time) while in retirement to cover health benefits, you might want to take a look at our Preferred Links Page: http://retireearlylifestyle.com/favorite_er_links.htm and scroll down to RELOCATION, RETIREMENT JOBS, COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT.

There are several links listed that could provide you an alternative in the work idea department. You could work from your RV (if you have a high speed access for your computer) and are self motivated. This would allow you to still travel, not have to pay for a wardrobe, lunches, parking fees and gas, office pools, and so on.

I don't know if this would appeal to you or not... There are other links there for companies who specialize in hiring people over 50... and of course, you could always trade services for good-as-cash ala Craigslist. They have sites in every city in the US.

Just a thought. I wish you lots of openness and options, and of course, health.

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 03-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

this topic makes me so sad. it was always my fathers dream to have an rv and travel the country, too bad he died young and never got to do it. lesson learned, follow your dreams young, you never know how much time you have left.
newyorklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:31 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Many folks do both - they have their house/community/stuff but also enjoy the RVing lifestyle for several months a year. This is almost twice as expensive to do, but it does offer the benefit of the best of both worlds. If you can afford it, nothing wrong with this approach.

Audrey
Just yesterday I was chit-chatting with my brother's retired neighbor who is an RV'er and has a motor home very similar to Audrey's - a 36' Alpine. He said he had just ordered a brand new one (also a 36 footer) to replace the one he has now. Cost: $240,000. Gets 8 miles to the gallon. He showed me the inside of his current RV. It is beautiful inside, just like a fully equipped and furnished apartment. This man and his wife really enjoy the RV lifestyle, but they also maintain their small home as a base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
this topic makes me so sad. it was always my fathers dream to have an rv and travel the country, too bad he died young and never got to do it. lesson learned, follow your dreams young, you never know how much time you have left.
NewYorkLady: I felt a similar sadness while chatting with my brother's aforementioned neighbor. My Mom and Dad had plans to travel the country in an RV, too. They got to do some of it but my mother passed away at a relatively young age, and my father didn't have any fun going on his own (he didn't want to travel with people he didn't know well), so he stopped. I mentioned this to my brother's neighbor, and he said it is very common to see many of these big RV's for re-sale, usually because the husband passes away and the wife doesn't know how (or doesn't want) to drive or operate these huge vehicles.
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #54

newyorklady
Quote:
This especially hits home with me as well, NYL... My parents never had a retirement either. They worked hard their whole lives and died young.

Billy and I talk about how time is a commodity too. We are spending it every day, whether we know it or not.

Toejam
Quote:
I mentioned this to my brother's neighbor, and he said it is very common to see many of these big RV's for re-sale, usually because the husband passes away and the wife doesn't know how (or doesn't want) to drive or operate these huge vehicles.
That is very true. One of the best places to buy these rigs is in the American Southwest. Some people have to sell them due to a death of a spouse but some are being sold because couples bought them thinking they would like the lifestyle and then found out that they didn't.

Maybe the place was too small, maybe the stress of hauling one of these things became too much. Perhaps the time away from the grandchildren became an issue. There are lots of reasons...

We know singles who have joined Loners on Wheels http://www.lonersonwheels.com/ and that has helped them with some of the above mentioned problems.

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 03-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

We are new to this board, but not to RVing. We have been fulltime RVers for nearly fifteen years now since we were 42 and 50.

We live and travel at present in a 37 foot (actual size 38 feet 10 inches....don't know why they call it a 37 footer), diesel pusher motorhome.

Only extreme old age or serious health problems would ever have us settling down in one place. We love our nomadic life, and would never give it up willingly.

Nice to see some others here on this board RVing or having an interest in doing so.

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote