Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

gayl,

G Adventures does not charge a single supplement if you are willing to have them match you up with a same sex roommate.

I've not done a tour with them, but friends have and spoke highly of their experience.

https://www.gadventures.com/about-us...h-gadventures/

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
gayl,

G Adventures does not charge a single supplement if you are willing to have them match you up with a same sex roommate.

I've not done a tour with them, but friends have and spoke highly of their experience.

https://www.gadventures.com/about-us...h-gadventures/

omni
For someone looking to loosen the purse strings a bit, I don't think there's a need to room with a stranger. Maybe it's just me that it doesn't appeal to me. But the OP seemed receptive to my thoughts about upgrading travel, and this seems a step back.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
For someone looking to loosen the purse strings a bit, I don't think there's a need to room with a stranger. Maybe it's just me that it doesn't appeal to me. But the OP seemed receptive to my thoughts about upgrading travel, and this seems a step back.
I agree. I once shared a room with someone I didn't know, and it was fine, but these days, privacy is non-negotiable for me.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
It sounds like you've had a pretty rough road. Perhaps direct some income towards charities that help people who find themselves in similar straights.

It will burn down some cash, get you spending, help someone, and there is ample evidence that helping others generates more happiness than marginal consumption.

Just a thought.

+1
Giving to a cause meaningful to you can be very satisfying and if part of why you are reluctant to spend involves a feeling of guilt, perhaps giving funds to a charity would ease that guilty feeling.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Great, and I still recommend trying a river cruise, it is luxury travel, they are generally adults only, ours had a 16-17 grand daughter for 1 guest, but it was with special permission.
I did appreciate the lack of screaming/running kids that we normally find on Carnival.

Or try one of the smaller/luxury ship lines - Windstar, Sea Dream, Seabourne, Oceana, or Crystal. Maybe you'll enjoy the experience more and will start spending more on travel. Better yet, charter a private crewed yacht with friends.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

The first year we were retired I was nervous and limited spending. After that we started to spend more on what makes us happy which is traveling, eating out and other experiences. I would never share a room with a stranger. Ugh!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
If I were traveling as a single, no way would I share room. I need alone time, especially if traveling as part of a group where you share the day and meals together. Even with family, LOL.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If I were traveling as a single, no way would I share room. I need alone time, especially if traveling as part of a group where you share the day and meals together. Even with family, LOL.
+1
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
My plan is self fulfilling as I spend what the portfolio generates. Why would I want to save more. By not touching the principal do I meet the definition of a saver?
Likewise here. However, since the portfolio keeps increasing I recently decided to liquidate small amounts of stock and bump our spending a bit. I expect the portfolio will, nevertheless, continue to increase. My plan is to keep my divs increasing by about 5% per year to make sure inflation on my total income, including non cola pension, is covered. This will allow for fairly significant liquidations, at least till we get some negative market event.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #50

Even though I am FI but not yet ER, I'm trying to learn to spend more by paying others to do chores that I would rather not do, such as wallpaper removal, painting, etc. I'd much rather spend that time biking, hiking or kayaking. This is hard for an avid DIYer.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

After spending 20 minutes in a store looking at towels for our new but old home I gave up! I then spent most of an hour comparing pricing, weight , thickness, etc on several sets on line. I may have saved $10.00 . When will the madness stop?
And who pays $150.00 for a blinking shower curtain?
We've got it, but I am having a helluva time spending it and so is the OH, except for his new car.
The prices for stuff we hardly ever buy are crazy. We just bought a new mattress and springs and the guy gave us two $100.00 pillows. Glad to take them but the pillows weren't all that special.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #52

I agree that it is not always easy to change spending habits. Things we have done:
DH does not like to fly, but will go if it is first class. We have the $$, so I can go along with this. (I like it too.)
We are really going to loosen up the purse strings next year and reno our back yard, including a pool and new deck. We did a lot of the prep work late this summer. Side benefit, this has been a fun project for us to work on together.
Hmmm number 3, I guess I still need to keep working on this too!
Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Even though I am FI but not yet ER, I'm trying to learn to spend more by paying others to do chores that I would rather not do, such as wallpaper removal, painting, etc. I'd much rather spend that time biking, hiking or kayaking. This is hard for an avid DIYer.
Yep, me too! I used to do almost everything around the house and car. I've powered rodded my main sewer line in the middle of the night, in the winter. I had to shovel part of the yard just to locate the cleanout!

Now I live in a townhouse with an HOA and use the stealership for my auto work. Yes, it's 2-3X the cost of my DYI, but like you I'd rather be outside having fun
Old 09-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #54

Yeah .... I'd be lost without my gardener & son. (1/3 acre)

I cannot share a room when traveling and prefer 4-5☆ (Hilton = 4☆) and I won't do group tours but will hire drivers. I will do economy plus if on an aisle, otherwise business class. Yes, I'm spoiled so next year's trip to Ukraine will be interesting as I'll be "roughing" it - lodging wise
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote