Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, I have a life long passion for old cars, especially Chevys. I have owned many over the years, some of the ones I remember:

1955 Nomad
1957 Nomad
1957 Belair 2dr hdtp (owned two of them)
1962 Impala SS Conv. 327 4 speed
1963 Impala 22 2dr hdtp
1967 Camaro SS350 4 speed
1967 Impala SS 2 dr hdtp
1968 Impala 2dr hdtp
1969 Camaro RS/SS 396 4 speed, factory air
1969 Camaro Indy Pace Car, every option available, 375hp 396, 4 speed
1975 Monza 400hp 350, 4 speed. Scary off the line.
1986 El Camino Choo Choo custom

Most of the above were in above average to show car condition.

Unfortunately, I only have room for one toy car now. I have bored you with these photos in the past. It is my 1965 Impala SS convertible with just under 46,000 documented original miles. It has the original engine that has never been rebuilt. It is a factory air car which makes it somewhat unique. Nowadays it only gets driven to the monthly cruise nights and close by outings with the car clubs. When on display most people comment about how large the trunk is, but other brands of that same era such as Olds, Buick, and Pontiacs were even larger than mine. I have owned this car for 22 years now.

IMG_20170812_154102.jpg

65Engine1.jpg

65 impala 12.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 06:56 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

^Very nice! I had a 67 Impala in high school/ start college and it didn't look quite like yours. But it did have a big trunk.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:57 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's my current heap. 66 Chevelle SS396. This is the 5th or 6th Chevelle I've owned. All were "drivers" until this one. I wanted to do something different with this one. I bought it in 2004 and spent 5 years doing a nut/bolt, frame off restoration. All numbers matching. Original CA car....hence the CA plates. (Those are the original plates that the care was first registered with, by the way. I had them restored.) I don't drive the car much....only 100 miles since restoration was completed....most miles are driving on and off of show fields throughout the country.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My first car was a 1967 Olds 442.
I loved that car.
I somehow got into old VWs, and never had another muscle car.
I've owned about a dozen old VW bugs over the years, and have some thoughts about getting another, but so far have avoided doing this. I like the real old ones. 64 or older. Would love an old Porsche 356 coupe, but that isn't happening.
About two years ago I bought an old 1971 GMC 3/4 ton pickup, and I love the damn thing. It has old faded out paint, but is fairly rust free. It makes me laugh when I drive it around, and I can actually use it for hauling stuff, and my boat too.
I think I'm like Sandford and Son in it. Most people are appalled when they see it, and feel sorry for the old man that has to drive that old wreck around. Funny.
JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
Here's my current heap. 66 Chevelle SS396. This is the 5th or 6th Chevelle I've owned. All were "drivers" until this one. I wanted to do something different with this one. I bought it in 2004 and spent 5 years doing a nut/bolt, frame off restoration. All numbers matching. Original CA car....hence the CA plates. (Those are the original plates that the care was first registered with, by the way. I had them restored.) I don't drive the car much....only 100 miles since restoration was completed....most miles are driving on and off of show fields throughout the country.

I had one just like it until about 6 or 7 years ago... Even the same color... I had a 4 speed in mine and it was a real beast back in it's day.... It's one of only two cars I wish I would have kept...
Old 03-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful collections!
I'm not a car person but I do admire people that are, and take pride in restoring and keeping outfits looking excellent.

All I need is something to get me from A to B and it really doesn't matter what.
Even a good saddle horse will do. Lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

This thread got me thinking about cars of past and cars of today... I love the 60's vintage cars... I guess because that's when I grew up and started to drive.

Back then, it was pure brute horsepower, real steel and leaded gas. High tech was a AM radio and an electric clock. Primary tools were, common sense, a hammer, pliers, screwdriver, and maybe some electrical tape... The sounds of dual exhaust, and a four barrel in a 427ci / 425hp engine was something to behold. Automatic transmissions (slush buckets) were a joke to real car nuts. 4 speed manuals were the only way to go.

Today, the the engines tend to be smaller but HP is much higher (or it can be anyway) and is much more technology driven. Today I've got a 6.2 liter (378 ci) blown motor that cranks out over 700hp from the factory with full warranty... Lot's of plastic and the inside is like a computer center. Automatic trans (8 speeds or better) are the only way to go today. Tools required, Masters in EE or CS...

Today's cars are more reliable (usually), safer (usually), faster, quicker, last much longer, get better gas mileage, etc, etc.

The list/comparisons go on forever... All in all, I love the 60's vintage cars, but I'll still take the latest and greatest ICE cars of today.

See, you can teach old dogs new tricks. Or if you like, change can be good, sometimes!
Old 03-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
This thread got me thinking about cars of past and cars of today... I love the 60's vintage cars... I guess because that's when I grew up and started to drive.

Back then, it was pure brute horsepower, real steel and leaded gas. High tech was a AM radio and an electric clock. Primary tools were, common sense, a hammer, pliers, screwdriver, and maybe some electrical tape... The sounds of dual exhaust, and a four barrel in a 427ci / 425hp engine was something to behold. Automatic transmissions (slush buckets) were a joke to real car nuts. 4 speed manuals were the only way to go.

Today, the the engines tend to be smaller but HP is much higher (or it can be anyway) and is much more technology driven. Today I've got a 6.2 liter (378 ci) blown motor that cranks out over 700hp from the factory with full warranty... Lot's of plastic and the inside is like a computer center. Automatic trans (8 speeds or better) are the only way to go today. Tools required, Masters in EE or CS...

Today's cars are more reliable (usually), safer (usually), faster, quicker, last much longer, get better gas mileage, etc, etc.

The list/comparisons go on forever... All in all, I love the 60's vintage cars, but I'll still take the latest and greatest ICE cars of today.

See, you can teach old dogs new tricks. Or if you like, change can be good, sometimes!
You forgot the smell of gas burning in a 64 Mustang convertible upon acceleration.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
You forgot the smell of gas burning in a 64 Mustang convertible upon acceleration.
Minor detail but I think you mean a 64 and 1/2 model year..
But yes, the sights and smell of burning bias tires are still clear in my mind.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Minor detail but I think you mean a 64 and 1/2 model year..
Yes CAR guy.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:38 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh yeah!!??

THIRTY-SIX real horsepower baby!

1957, spent 7 years restoring it, finished in 1999. Still have it, have driven it about 18k miles since.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2877.jpg (677.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Oh yeah!!??

1957, spent 7 years restoring it, finished in 1999. Still have it, have driven it about 18k miles since.......
18k miles in 22 years.....That's about two or three fill ups a year.....
Old 03-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Oh yeah!!??

What is the 0 to 60? Guessing close to 13 seconds....
Old 03-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #34

Quote:

Also today's cars all kind of look similar within a class of cars, they just don't have the style older cars did. Remember how every year there would be some changes within a model, between the major model changes? Now the car looks essentially the same for all years between major model changes.

I agree that we have the best of hp and efficiency today. Even the revered big blocks of past can now make more hp than ever thanks to years of development.

Some of my old cars I have had that are now gone:
1937 Chevy pickup hot rod
1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan, with the 454 big block engine. My namesake for this and other forums.
1949 Ford COE (Cab Over Engine) hot rod truck
1959 Chevy El Camino restomod
1960 Chevy El Camino
1964 Buick Riviera, IMHO one of the best looking cars straight out of the factory
1963 Buick Riviera, supercharged 401 nailhead engine
1959 Ford F-100 pickup
1970 Camaro drag car

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Also today's cars all kind of look similar within a class of cars, they just don't have the style older cars did. Remember how every year there would be some changes within a model, between the major model changes? Now the car looks essentially the same for all years between major model changes.
That's a fact... I can usually (90+%) tell you the exact year of any Ford, Chevy or Dodge made from 55 to about 72 just by looking at a few details... Can't do that for many made after ~2000. Sometimes just a taillight, grill, gas cap or trim line change between the years but there's almost always something to give it away pretty quick.... Sometimes while watching Barrett Jackson, I'll try to beat Mike Joy at naming the year of a particular car... Drives the DW crazy listening to me talk to the TV.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #36

I know this is mostly a heavy metal crowd, but my 1976 VW Rabbit was my car obsession for most of my life. I started driving it in high school, and did my best to restore it in 2017. I put well over 400,000 miles on that car. Loved it.

Unfortunately, by 2018 I realized I didn't have the time or desire to keep working on cars, and didn't want it taking up space sitting in the garage. So I made the difficult decision to sell it. The young guy I sold it to changed a lot of things with it and it didn't even look like the same car anymore. Sad...

Full story with more pictures and video on my web site at: Life With My VW Rabbit - Anthony Watson
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would guess ~25 seconds since I "think" top speed for a mid 50's VW was "maybe" ~70mph. But I'm just guessing at this one.

Another VW factoid, I seem to remember they banned VW's from the golden gate back in those days since strong winds would blow them around while crossing the bridge..... At least I remember an old Bill Cosby joke about it...
Old 03-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #38

Quote:
I would guess ~25 seconds since I "think" top speed for a mid 50's VW was "maybe" ~70mph. But I'm just guessing at this one.

Another VW factoid, I seem to remember they banned VW's from the golden gate back in those days since strong winds would blow them around while crossing the bridge..... At least I remember an old Bill Cosby joke about it...
In Michigan there is the Mackinaw Bridge. A Yugo did actually blow off the bridge.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #39

Quote:

You mean minutes?

I used to have a 1950 Beetle. 25hp and non synchro transmission, had to double clutch all the downshifts. Straight cut gears in the tranny too. It was a canvas sunroof car. My ears would be ringing for a couple hours after a highway run. It would do 55 as long as you didn't hit a hill, a headwind or a large insect.

Sold it about 7 years ago I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2824_sm.jpg (436.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #40

Latest "toy" is 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet. Had a number of BMW's and Jaguar's over the years. All convertibles. Love top down driving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00333.jpg (557.1 KB, 31 views)