Car problems

I have an older friend that had a two year old SUV. One morning at our group breakfast he related to the group that he had a flat tire on his SUV, so he bought a new one, as he pointed out the window to his new SUV.

^^^ Yeah, once a vehicle has a flat tire it is ruined for life and the only insane thing to do is to trade it in for a new one.

Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
... it is against code to add a second receptacle to the circuit, those are dedicated to the circuit ...
I don't doubt it but that really wouldn't keep me, DIY, from adding the second receptacle. It's perfectly safe as long as both loads are not active at the same time. For safety's sake I might try both loads and make sure that the breaker pops.

FWIW I have never had an inspector come to the door and announce that he was there to check for code violations. I suppose a very sharp house inspector might spot the issue if we were selling the house, but that is not a worry for me either.

Do as you please. I'm just making people aware.

I understand it is perfectly safe if it is operated by someone who knows what they are doing. And if you need to hire a licensed electrician to put that 2nd outlet in (w/o an approved switch box of some sort), he should refuse.

I'd undo it before I put the house up for sale, but that's me.

-ERD50

I have an older friend that had a two year old SUV. One morning at our group breakfast he related to the group that he had a flat tire on his SUV, so he bought a new one, as he pointed out the window to his new SUV.

^^^ Yeah, once a vehicle has a flat tire it is ruined for life and the only insane thing to do is to trade it in for a new one.

Back in the old days when a lot of people still smoked, some traded in their car once the ashtray got full. :angel:

Gosh, Thats terrible luck! But after 15 years, lots of stuff can happen. Reading threads like this makes me realize how fortunate we are that we can repair just about anything car related. Both of us have been in the car repair business for 30 years at Ford and Porsche dealerships. We always had old beater cars when we were younger because we could fix them. We now have a couple of newer cars, but also keep our 98 Tacoma around and 95 Landcruiser because they are cheap for us to keep. We have a 21 Subaru Crosstrek with 20k miles that I noticed a rear differential noise about a month ago. Have an appointment in a couple of weeks at the dealer to get checked out. After doing some research apparently there is a TSB from Subaru on the same condition. Will probably get a new rear diff because the oil they used was too thin. The new fluid is a heavier viscosity.

An old timer told me be loved his Lincolns, but used to trade them in as soon as the (analog) clock stops working.

An old timer told me be loved his Lincolns, but used to trade them in as soon as the (analog) clock stops working.

NW-Bound might appreciate this, but it was very long ago that I first came to understand how those old analog clocks in cars worked.

They were the traditional old "wind up" clocks of their time. But they were connected to the car's battery power whether the key was on or not.

When the clock winding was running low, a switch would sense that, and a motor would be switched on to wind the clock, and shut off when it sensed it was fully wound.

Primitive by today's standards, but it worked (for the most part).

-ERD50

This car ran hot until it died on the road. We can't diagnose via Internet, but coolant may have contaminated the oil, which means likely bearing damage. Plus possible head damage (warp or crack). I think Scuba's mechanic is probably offering the best option. YMMV.

Edit: This thread prompted me to take a look at the water pump in DW's Prius. It's starting to weep, so I'm ordering a new pump, thermostat and radiator along with other odds and ends.

Yep, years ago the Subaru sedan I had overheated when driving up to the mountains...of course, up there every 4th or 5th vehicle is a Subaru, so I took it to the local dealer.

Had to leave it with them to replace the head gaskets...also replaced all gaskets/hoses/belts/radiator...plus provided a loaner for the week.

That all cost about $3,000 in today's money...still cheaper than replacing it.

We have a 2012 Jetta bought new, about 150K on it, 07 Silverado with nearly 260K on the clock, 180K when we bought it. We just went thru considering upgrading the truck to a 2500 due to the new camper. Was amazed that they offered us $3K more than we paid for it 6 years ago! Even with that and $4K down, payments would be over $500/month for 4 years on a 10 year old/100K mile truck. Old Faithfull got a good makeover, fluids flushed/changed, new coil overload shocks, fixed the AC (been out 2 years) and 900 miles into our trip shes pulling fine, 11.3 MPG. will need tires when we get home.. figure $1000, but still way far money ahead.

Back
Top Bottom