Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

We'll be fine.
sendbaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by volga View Post
No, I am my wife are both originally from Russia. Met in College, but I was able to get out first and pulled her out of the madness of the post soviet economic fiasco. We both hold US citizenship. We remain steadfastly traditional as to our marriage, which has worked in two countries, one collapsing all around us, and our adopted one not all that stable once one dares to examine it closely. But, at least we can keep 60-70% of what we have from the collective seizures of the IRS, much better than working for the state collective!
I don't entirely share your views on marriage, but congratulations on sticking it out and getting the brass ring.

I hope you didn't take my comment about Russian ladies the wrong way. In fact, I think the Russian ladies (and men) I have encountered are fairly cunning (for lack of a better word) exactly because of the economic history they have, of having to essentially "scam" to survive. One rather wealthy Russian friend of my sister, for example, managed to somehow get on US food stamps and stood in line for free US gov't. cheese!! She was getting an MBA at the time.. working both ends of the system! She was also pretty high-maintenance and derived her wealth from huge infusions of cash from her Russian BF, drove a nice new SUV, etc. I'd say she had "monetized" her position quite nicely. She hadn't been in the US long so I can't say whether this was the effect of her being 'poisoned' by American values, whether these were the values of the average 30 y.o. Russian to begin with and she just found more freedom in the US to fulfill them, or whether she just happened to be more naturally aggressive than the norm.

It's great that you and your wife work as a team. But you can't imagine that only women (now) have egos.. instead it's only now that women's egos are starting to approach par with men's egos. My SIL with her advanced degree spends time ironing sheets, socks and underwear... if you think that would be a good use of YOUR time, then.. fantastic! [SIL was shocked when I told her no way would I iron sheets. I guess that makes me a "diva".]
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

No use ironing sheets.. if you're doing things right then they're just going to get incredibly wrinkled again that night.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I don't entirely share your views on marriage, but congratulations on sticking it out and getting the brass ring.

I hope you didn't take my comment about Russian ladies the wrong way. In fact, I think the Russian ladies (and men) I have encountered are fairly cunning (for lack of a better word) exactly because of the economic history they have, of having to essentially "scam" to survive.

A point you should consider as a background as to how I, as a Russian by birth and an American by choice, should consider as to some cliche regarding 'the Russian sense of noblity of the governing few':

The Russians lost more men in the single battle of Stalingrad than the United States has lost in all its wars since the beginning of settlemnt in America. Four hundred thousand Americans bravely perished in World War II, mostly in Europe. But twenty-seven million Russians died, many, including a large number of my direct bloodline, in atrocities that few can fathom.

I and my wife both earned everything the hard way. No scams, just hard work and years of professional education that finally paid off. Each society has its scam artists. I will leave this post now and end my invlovment with this thread.
volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by volga View Post
In a global sense, do not expect this twisted, ego centric version of womanhood to sell to men that have choices that are not bound by borders or media. My wife is well educated, both of us have advance degrees, and we built a self sustaining estate as a team. She does what she does well as do I. I would quote the Bard as to the previous postings, "she doth protest too much". One can well gage veracity with such verbal venom.
Huh? Besides the misunderstandings inherent in misspellings and fractured English grammar, I don't get your Shakespearean allusion either. Oh well. Guess I'm just egocentric enough not to give a fig.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Huh? Besides the misunderstandings inherent in misspellings and fractured English grammar, I don't get your Shakespearean allusion either. Oh well. Guess I'm just egocentric enough not to give a fig.
I may fracture English, its my other language after Russian and German. Even bad English comes in handy at Walmart and other fine establishments.... Anyway, good people can disagree. Hope you find your soulmate, Oldbabe.
volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Previat.........

Very little Russian do I know.......

Is How are you? pronounced: Kak dula? Can't remember.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like to nominate this thread for the "most off-topic meandering thread of the week"
genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis View Post
I'd like to nominate this thread for the "most off-topic meandering thread of the week"

Second the nomination!

Back to the topic: I would really like to know if anyone else took that 60 minutes episode to heart? or is there no point being concerned, since there's little we can do about it?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Guess what? American Divas work hard to bring in plenty of funds to make life decent for themselves and their families. They serve their families with plenty of class and dignity. Many of these Divas are single parents whose wonderful husbands of all socio-economic subgroups have cut and run when life got a little tough.

Good luck (and good riddence) to those men who chose to go abroad and find a so-called traditional wife who is willing to be dependent and subservient in exchange for an American lifestyle. Seems to me we used to have a word for that sort of financial exchange.
Does that apply to western women too? I've noticed a few western girls that are seeking out the company of "so called traditional girls" here in the Philippines

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by renferme View Post
that Hillary, Nancy Pelosi, and Dirty Harry Reid will fix all our problems immediately after The B*tch gets elected President.
Where have you been the last 7 years Bush and the Repukes have gotten us into the position we are now in! I guess you did not read the news in the 90s that Mr. Hillary had a balanced budget and was paying off the debt that great Repuke RR got us into.
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote