Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Changing the balance of quality of life and financial independence
Old 03-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
The sellers agent cracks me up. Calls me and tells me he has a buyer coming in from the bay area to look at it and make an offer on saturday.
Quick! Hurry! A deal this great can't last long! You've gotta sign before Saturday or you'll lose the deal! Classic marketing... of course you know this.

Are you ready to walk?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am ready to walk, but I'd be stupid to. And yeah, i'm a little familiar with marketing...my agent told him later that I used to negotiate 9 figure contracts...so his grade school antics werent particulary effective. I told her to tell him that if he pays me back my inspection fees, that I'd deliberately lapse the contract to let him sell it to his new buyers!

Then when they dont show up, I come back in 2 weeks from now with a lower offer, free inspections, and get it anyhow.

But...it'd be smart to be only half as stupid as the seller, who may very well try to scotch the deal over a few thousand bucks, then sit and wait 3 months for another buyer who will by law have disclosed to him all of my reports prior to making an offer. Who will then offer him less.

He's paying 6% on a loan right now, 1/2% a month. He's also losing out on investment $ opp if he was planning on investing, also quite reasonably 1/2% a month. He's also selling into a dropping market. Flipping me off and waiting could easily cost him 10k-20k.

Costs me $450 for my inspection. And I might find a better house I like better at a better price. I have 3 years before my son goes to school...

I've seen people try to do dumber things. Its all about testosterone and defeating the other guy at this point.

I knew he was a flake when I made him his first and only offer in 7 months, it was reasonable, and he countered me for 5k higher...risking a walk over a fairly trivial amount of $.

But I'd still like him to give me something to compensate me for catching him in a few lies and sins of omission.

If he wants to be stupid and hold out, I'll give him the price. Its a pretty dang good deal.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Oh, and I almost forgot. Looks like my wife has nailed a job with a place down there, and they pay better and have better benefits than where she is now. Shorter commute than she has now, and very little traffic on the way.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #104

Quote:
If he wants to be stupid and hold out, I'll give him the price. Its a pretty dang good deal.
Hope he doesn't read these boards.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking the same thing last night.

Odds arent too good though.

Even if he does, good for him. The little lying liar that lies can have a huge undermarket price for the house that he maintained in a manner that would qualify him for a photo next to the word "inept" in the dictionary.

He can put the money to good use taking some home improvement classes.

The caulking he put in the shower reminds me of someone trying to frost a cake. With a broken pastry bag.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

How is DW handling the emotionality of this purchase?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Neutral. She likes the house but we're in no hurry and it looks like some builders have made plenty in the area

Now I see per zillow that the local comps are rising, while of course knowing that zillow is just a rough data point and not always a great one. The house was minus $2000 price change a few weeks ago and now its plus $4500. So technically I already made $6500 on it, if you go with the area comps calcs that zillow uses.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The nagging feeling I have is that theres other halfassed stuff and hidden goodies that i'll discover and have to fix
If you find a yard full of bodies, please post here first before you call the law.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

That'd be very helpful. During the excavation I can fix some of the grading/drainage problems.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #110
Dryer sheet wannabe

"I'm planning on asking for more money off...$5k in total...but I have a feeling i'm going to get smacked with an emotional seller who just had his pants pulled down. And the price is already pretty good."

I" knew he was a flake when I made him his first and only offer in 7 months, it was reasonable, and he countered me for 5k higher...risking a walk over a fairly trivial amount of $."

Flake? Or presciently giving himself an extra $5k wiggle room against a buyer who knows he's getting a good deal but still is trying to nickel and dime the seller down over minor b-s type repairs...

theronware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Gee, thanks for your input. I dont consider 50k worth of undisclosed health, safety and major defects to be "minor BS"

Point is, the guy wasnt getting any buyers, he was lucky to find one with cash thats willing to do all the work the place needs, and he's making 300k profit on the home after doing absolutely nothing to it for 8 years except try to hide a few things.

But 5k was somehow holding him from cashing that big check.

We're done. The buyer finally agreed to the original offer I made him 10 days ago.

Now that we're over the goofy emotional portion of the program...I get to fix it, move into it, fix the old place up and sell that.

Yay.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #112
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Congratulations...and you have my deepest sympathy.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #113

Congrats. I hope you don't find any more problems. Happy moving.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I just solved half of my problems. Told the wife to buy whatever furniture she wants. All I want is a soft chair in a room outside of the main 'runs' of the house where I can sit quietly now and then between bouts of home improvements...
Old 03-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just solved half of my problems. Told the wife to buy whatever furniture she wants. All I want is a soft chair in a room outside of the main 'runs' of the house where I can sit quietly now and then between bouts of home improvements...
Obviously you know how to make a woman happy!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Well, with my luck I'll come home to find a bunch of new furniture and a nice comfortable chair sitting outside near the tool shed.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
All I want is a soft chair in a room outside of the main 'runs' of the house where I can sit quietly now and then between bouts of home improvements...
With a laptop stand. And a nice frosted-beverage fridge. And a high-bandwidth wireless connection. And, what the heck, a media room around the chair. With soundproof walls.

Am I forgetting anything?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:08 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Shhhh...thats in the back page of my "things to do list"

Which is seven frickin pages and runs out to 3 years timeline.

Its amazing what you can get done when you snap awake at 3am and decide to do something more productive with the wee hours... :P
Old 03-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Make sure you rent the movie "The Money Pit" to get you in the mood for those three pages of identified problems.

Congrats. and enjoy your new digs
Old 03-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I already know where the fun parts are.

Guy decided that grouting the master shower was optional, and you just sell the house when the tiles are close to coming off. Cant wait to pop those off and see what loveliness awaits me.

But hey, regrouting a shower costs a whopping couple of hundred bucks! Cant go blowing the bank account on stuff like that.

And theres a trim leak into the back of the siding on the exterior chimney. I can already tell what happened...the guy who did the gutters and downspouts should have "kicked out" the downspout around the horizontal trim thats halfway up the chimney, but he ran it straight down and just cut into the trim to accommodate it. And probably through the z-flash while he was at it.

The good news is that the rain water falling two stories straight down will be noisy too! So that makes up for it!

But given that I planned on tearing the exterior off of the whole house and putting stucco or hardiplank on it in 3 years...the frickin thing can fall off the side of the house for all I care