Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Changing the balance of quality of life and financial independence
Old 03-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on the house CFB!

-h
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats. Can't wait to hear your tales over the next months and years on all these projects. I'm sure (1) I'll learn a lot and (2) you will probably scare off many youngin's from ever buying a house.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It certainly is a learning process and I'm afraid I have some lernin' to do...

Like many things, I think if you have no idea how it works and just do whats obviously needed and have it done by professionals, you're better off.

Go on Haha...theres a joke in there for ya...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

All things seem to be a go, we'll take ownership this week.

In a serendipitous moment, my wife spotted a small hospital as I was driving her around the area pointing out some landmarks and decided to apply for a job there. Turns out they had just the day before opened a day shift that they'd have a tough time filling as they needed someone with a lot of experience. One interview and she's in. So much for the 'commuting problem', her new commute will be about seven minutes. Much better benefits than her old job, a signing bonus and a nice raise to boot.

Spent the last 3 days lining up contractors to get a bunch of work done before we move in, and i'll be pretty busy doing other stuff.

Then we move. Dang, I kinda miss driving around looking at peoples houses already.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Then we move. Dang, I kinda miss driving around looking at peoples houses already.
Congratulations. With my son (Gabe, by the way) moving to the San Mateo area you may have to spot me a beer some day. How far are you from there?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

CFB, Just curious as what price range is the new Mcmansion?. I'm thinking of down sizing to a condo and am not sure if it's the right thing to do. I can drop my taxes by a 12000.00, but then I would have the 400.00 a month maintenance a month so in effect I would be saving about 7000.00 a year. I would also be saving by not having a mortgage as the house has appreciated over the last 12 years. I thing it was easier for you to make the move as there are several benifits to the move.I've been reading this post and keep going back and forth because I don't want to make a big mistake selling the home.I'm not to worried on the condo as there are always some for sale for different units in the complex we have to get, to keep the kids in the same good schools.I know none of this pertains to your situation, but I feel like it the same quality of life issues and wanted to bounce it out there.Nothing is ever easy with a situation that effects your life. Good luck with your purchase.
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Congratulations. With my son (Gabe, by the way) moving to the San Mateo area you may have to spot me a beer some day. How far are you from there?
About 4-7 hours, depending on what day of the week and what time of the day.

Jerry...in the half mil range. Cheap for a big wood box to put my stuff into.

By the way, if anyone feels I was rough on the seller, I should probably disclose at this time that he's a financial planner.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

By the way, sears is having a nice one-day sale on tractors and mowers...
Old 03-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa on Today at 12:53:17 PM
I think Rich meant by car....not walking. Or is your new house in Nevada?

Seriously, from San Mateo to the foothills east of Sacramento is about 2-1/2 hours plus traffic delays. Rich, I'll buy you the beer...I live 1-1/2 hrs north of San Mateo in wine country.
scrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Its the "plus traffic delays" I was figuring in!

I used to do the drive a couple of times a week when the corporate jet was full. It can be pretty quick at night but during the day... :P
Old 03-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch
Seriously, from San Mateo to the foothills east of Sacramento is about 2-1/2 hours plus traffic delays. Rich, I'll buy you the beer...I live 1-1/2 hrs north of San Mateo in wine country.
You're on. But in your case, it'll be a bottle from Silver Oak .

Moving south toward San Jose where, if anywhere, do the housing prices start dropping back into earth's atmosphere? That is, how far out til it approaches plain old expensive in the "reasonable reader" sense?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:29 PM   #132
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

Moving south toward San Jose where, if anywhere, do the housing prices start dropping back into earth's atmosphere? That is, how far out til it approaches plain old expensive in the "reasonable reader" sense?
I believe there's been a recommendation for Newport Beach shortly.

The outlying areas are dragging down the immediate SF area figures. I'm 30 minutes away and YOY median is still up!. I can show you how to get 10% annual appreciation and 40% return on your money.

Oh, I'll buy the first beer also!
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #133

Latest Bay Area stats:

http://www.dqnews.com/RRBay0307.shtm

Hmm, it looks like you would have been better off investing in just about anything else for the last year....
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Rich, theres nothing even close to plain old expensive unless you want to drive a good distance or you want to plug yourself into a bart train for a couple of hours a day. Or go for something pretty old and small, although sometimes those come with a bit more back yard to them. Up east of concord, east of livermore, or down on the way to gilroy there are some decent buys for the area. But you're not gonna like the traffic at commute hours. You could probably still snap up something near santa cruz like around scotts valley, but again the commute into the bay area is ugly.

Holy COW...I just checked realtor.com in my old neighborhood in Santa Clara. 1000 square feet on a nice 5000-6000 square foot lot is running over $600k. I sold something similar in 1995 for a little over $215k and felt like I was ripping the buyer off. A few years ago when they were topping 400k I thought it was pretty stupid :P

If you're just looking for something in the vicinity of the kids, you might have to get about halfway up towards sacramento or inland up the coast halfway to fort bragg before the prices start dropping.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

In re Bay Area prices:

My 98 year old next door neighbor just sold her house and moved into a retirement center.

She's got the same basic 1948-vintage house/lot we do - 1100 sq ft, 3BR, 1BA, 25'x120' lot located 2.5 blocks south of GG Park and 3 blocks in from Ocean Beach. We haven't heard a definite selling price, but it sounds like it was $700K or a bit over that.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #136

Quote:
I'm not sure what a "reasonable reader" thinks expensive is....$300K, $400K, $500K? You'd probably have to go at least 2 hrs in any direction from San Mateo to find a 2000 sq ft house in reasonable condition in a reasonable neighborhood for less than $500K. To the south...possibly in Gilroy, definitely by the time you reach Salinas.
scrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
This is a great link for Cali. Is there one for Florida, Mass, Texas too?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

I've got a nice place in yuba city to sell you...
Old 03-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Well 3 cheers to vanguards bureaucracy and last minute shenanigans...when I went to wire the funds to the escrow account, they told me they needed ten days to approve of any new banking 'connections'. After a fun and entertaining half hour of funny business, I figured out I could wire the money to our existing 'connection', which is our local credit union, and then back out tomorrow to the escrow account. Both transfers hopefully to actually occur in a timely manner and be completed by wednesday...

Otherwise, come thursday me and a plumber, the comcast guy, the painter and a few other people are all gonna be standing around in the driveway swapping stories and waiting for a call from the title company...:P :P :P
Old 03-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #140

Gee, CFB, that's really strange. Are you sure they knew you meant a Federal wire, and not one of those electronic funds-connected bank accounts? When I bought my house, I had the funds wired to my lawyer's escrow account the day before the closing. The only 10-day requirement they had was that I had to have had the funds at Vanguard for 10 business days before I could write checks, do wires, etc.