Cheapwad Finds--Opposite of Blow That Dough!

Spectrum has customer service?! Ha, I called to do the same two years ago and was super polite, asked for retention etc and the person was SO rude. I asked point blank that the only way to get cheaper service is to leave and then come back and she responded, "There is no guarantee we'll take you back." There is some truth there. I've been with WOW since and my internet service is incredibly more reliable and much cheaper than Spectrum even out of the teaser rate. I'm so happy with them I don't even call to try to get lower than I am ($50) after the teaser ended. Meanwhile, I get 3 (yes, 3) mailings weekly by name trying to get me to switch back. Worst customer service and marketing ever.... just after my T-Mobile G5 fiasco but at least T-Mobile was polite; the Spectrum folks were just rude as hell! </>rant

I think it does depend on who you talk to. I had that happen once and did have to switch to Frontier (the only other competition in my area). Since going back on one of those teaser offers, I've been able to revert back to the promotional rate each time they try to raise my rate.

We just returned from a NW Minnesota fishing trip where we enjoyed some fabulous weather, great accommodations, food and companionship. Fabulous loon viewing too!

At home, walleye filets cost anywhere from $12 to $16 per pound (when you can find them). We brought home our limit of walleyes and I'm estimating they only cost us about $50/lb ! And I got to clean the fish myself!

Me too. Local library even has free seeds. Grew tobacco this year for free cigars.

My dad convinced me not to smoke. He never said a word. He just coughed for 10 minutes every morning after waking up. Then he began using tobacco powder on his chrysanthemums to kill bugs! Finally I had to live with him for several months as he tried to quit smoking. Never wanted to go through that. YMMV

I think it does depend on who you talk to. I had that happen once and did have to switch to Frontier (the only other competition in my area). Since going back on one of those teaser offers, I've been able to revert back to the promotional rate each time they try to raise my rate.

I agree but called a few times so the bad/rude service seemed cultural. When I went to a physical location to turn in my modem the folks in the store were not rude though. My service was so spotty with them that even if they were cheaper I wouldn't go back. I had to reboot my modem several times a week and had them out several times as well before I switched. With my current provider, I have had super reliable service so even if they cost more it's a better value. If they bump me up in price I'll call and try negotiating a rate with them but any threat to leave would be pretty empty... I think I have one more option in town though. Hopefully 5G tech will improve and eventually I'll get away from the cable/have more competition driving prices down.

I suspect cable companies operate similar to other retailers, in that the goal is to collect as much as you can from those willing to pay full price, then offer discounts for those who otherwise wouldn't.

So the process of calling and threatening to cancel is similar to cutting a coupon. They make you jump through hoops to pay less, knowing a lot of people won't bother.

The cable company would be foolish not to play this game. For the BTD crowd, money is no object when it comes to entertainment. Every time there's a new service or package, they'll sign up for it and gladly pay more. I think for some it's a badge of honor. They go around loudly complaining (i.e.; bragging) about how much they pay.

Threatening to cancel doesn't seem to work for me. But our house is wired for 3 cable companies so we either switch companies or switch who has their name on the account, and that always works to get the new customer deal.

I feel like my head might explode because I also post in the blow the dough thread

In my opinion it's perfectly logical to do both. Blow the dough on what is important and be a cheapwad on what is not.

This week I am helping my mum to move some items out to her storage. The storage place had a nice offer where a man with a van helped new customers. But I got a friend of the family to move it for her and he only wanted expenses plus a home cooked meal. I know he loved the deal too.

In my opinion it's perfectly logical to do both. Blow the dough on what is important and be a cheapwad on what is not.

My philosophy exactly. Our kids used to get miffed that we wouldn't buy soft drinks when we went out to eat. The time or two we allowed them to order, they got the largest drink, drank maybe a third of it and left the rest. We had always ordered tap water for ourselves and we typically insisted on the same for the kids. So, they thought we were cheap.

We spent 10s of thousands to move to the best school system in the county once the kids began to graduate from the private school we had them in. So, our priority was drink a soda at home if you want one, and drink water at restaurants. Go to a private school and move at all costs to the best school system. I'm not sure it's registered with them yet now that the kids are in their 30s. As they raise their own kids, I hope it does sink in. I guess we'll see.

This is California, ya know - :)

Yeah, 2 spicy McChicken's for $4. But that's it. No fries, no drink, have Stainless Steel water bottle in car.

An annual dance between me and Xfinity, as well. It saves hundreds of dollars a year.

Me too. Fortunately Verizon has come to our neighborhood and now offers $50 5G home Internet which is the same price I pay for Xinfinity. I can use this for more negotiating power next time around.

Green Onions. Don't just chop up the whole thing. Leave the root + 2-3 inches and stick them in water. Put them next to a window. They'll keep growing and soon you'll be able to harvest them again.

Just signed up for Paramount+ which is now free for W(almart)+ members. My monthly cable/streaming expense remains $0.

My neighbor seems to best me in being a cheapskate in all forms of the word. They pickup free childrens toys from the side of the road and resell them. He never waters his grass. They cut their own hair, he buzz cuts his and his sons. They grow more vegetables then us. He uses less electricity. I noticed their daughter was wearing hand me down shoes from the oldest boy. I don't know if I would go as far as to dress my daughters in my sons old clothes. They deserve gender appropriate clothing IMHO.

I should use the library more often for books and movie rentals.

I often look at the amazon used section before buying something to see if there is anyone selling what i need used. Many times it was brand new and just missing some packaging or an open box.

I use gas coupons.

Costco rotisserie chicken. I never say no if someone offers me free food ;) Calories are calories.

All of our bikes were picked up from the side of the road next to free signs. They work fine.

Sometimes the museums have a free day of the month, but its usually really busy. Our family loves going to parks and they are all free. The kids get a kick out of trying different parks out.

I was once called out by some guy at the corn maze. They had one of those feeder vending machines that you can pay 25c to get some animal food to feed the animals. I just picked up a handful that the other kids dropped on the ground all over and gave some to my kids. I overheard some guy saying "Look kids, that's a frugal man right there." I smiled and wore my badge of honor proudly the rest of the day.

Harbor Freight has some good deals on tools sometimes, and our local Menards always has bargain bins.

I will use the 7/30day trial streaming svcs and then cancel after binging.

Zucchini used to pop up around the office break room this time of year, but I don't go to the office anymore so that alone saves me enough money to just buy my own over-sized zucchini from the farmers market.

Don't forget to use the pumpkin seeds when you carve your pumpkins this year, rather than just tossing them.

If you wanna get real frugal, ask the neighbor for his old oil when he changes the oil. My ol man did this and put the oil in his beater truck and lawn mowers. He always said, oil is oil. Lol

Google/facebook free events near me and see what pops up.

If you live close enough to a neighbor, share the internet service with wireless boosters and split the bill.

Instead of a gym membership, buy an axe and split firewood.

Sometimes people will post free wood on marketplace. The Chip drop app offers free mulch. They usually give you way more than you could ever use.

Me too. Fortunately Verizon has come to our neighborhood and now offers $50 5G home Internet which is the same price I pay for Xinfinity. I can use this for more negotiating power next time around.

I did precisely that. Got 150mbps for $40/month from Xfinity since t-mobile was offering similar speeds.

With inflation how long can Costco keep the $1.50 hot dog and soda. And that's actually $1.15 north of the border! We finally have tables to eat at again. Hopefully ketchup, mustard and relish won't be in packages for much longer.

We just returned from a NW Minnesota fishing trip where we enjoyed some fabulous weather, great accommodations, food and companionship. Fabulous loon viewing too!

At home, walleye filets cost anywhere from $12 to $16 per pound (when you can find them). We brought home our limit of walleyes and I'm estimating they only cost us about $50/lb ! And I got to clean the fish myself!

If you live in MN near Kowalskis Market they have a nice selection of fresh seafood/fish. It's not cheap though. My neighbor catches enough fish and duck for both of our families lol. And another friend of mine is giving me some of his deer meat this year. BIL gave me deer sausage for free since he said deer hunting season is right around the corner and they still had some from last year.

With inflation how long can Costco keep the $1.50 hot dog and soda. And that's actually $1.15 north of the border! We finally have tables to eat at again. Hopefully ketchup, mustard and relish won't be in packages for much longer.

Heh, heh, I think Costco will keep the price for a while. They know that folks like DW and me always drop a hundred or two whenever we go to Costco. If the cheap hotdog/drink deal keeps me coming back, they'd be foolish to cut that off. That's what loss leaders are for.

Learning to LOVE LOVE LOVE Costco clothing!

This was a quote I really liked from my checkbook.org magazine - "There is a big difference between splurging on luxuries and throwing money away. "

We get most of our clothes from Costco or Amazon basics. If I need a new winter coat, I'll just go to Costco and get one of the 3 - 4 styles they have in stock and call it good enough.

2020--Skechers GO Walk pants $18
2021--Eddi Bauer puffy coat $30
2022--
DH got Hang Ten shorts (don't let the name fool you--they r nice golf shorts) $12
Just this week:
DH--lightweight joggers $12
Me--Hang ten L/S sun shirt $3
Linen pants $5
Lightweight paper bag waist pants $9
32 degrees puffy vest $11

Buy nothing and starbucks

Buynothing (now called give freely) is amazing. But since it isn’t a good deal at a retail place like the OP said, mine is Starbucks. I wait for the star runs that give 1 free drink (50 stars) per two orders. I order the medium (grande) in their reusable cups which gets me 10 cents off and 25 bonus stars so it ends up always being buy 1 get one free but I get stars on the purchase that accumulate as well. And at one place, they refused to use my cup (lazy old covid protocol or something like that) so I walked out and complained online and they gave me $15 credit.

I use my stars for their large (venti) drinks (50 stars). I feel like this is the most affordable way to get my Starbucks kick here and there. Not an every day or every week purchase. And I also try to reload my card when the credit card company offers 10% back offers for Starbucks purchases. Trying to make expensive Starbucks cheaper than street cart coffee in nyc!

I signed up to earn points at MacDonalds. I don’t eat there often. Normally I get a coffee there when traveling. So far I have enough points for two quarter pounder for free.

With this inflation showing no signs of significant reduction, I need every break I can get. This is looking more like the late 70s every day.

Last edited:
Fidelity Rewards credit card - 2% cash back -- for everything except
* gas and groceries - PenFed Signature Visa -- 5 "points", about 4.2% on gas, and 2.4% on groceries
* Chase Freedom Flex, for drugstore and dining 5%, plus quarterly categories
* Lowe's 5% off credit card

Estate sales -- estatesales.net was fantastic in SoCal, useless in Indiana. YMMV.

Thrift stores: Salvation Army is pretty good, St Vincent de Paul usually, library, humane society, small church, etc. In Britain, every main street is lined with "charity shops" and they have some pretty great stuff.

Visible for certain phone service, specifically hotspot, unlimited but maybe speed capped, runs on Verizon system, $30/month. Supposedly only one hotspot connection, but I connect an access point and get as many as I want through it. We use this when traveling, and it can be cancelled and turned back on whenever you want.

An old T-mobile ONE Plus plan for the two regular phones. $40 each, and somehow we got two free lines over the years which we almost never use. I keep these because we're gonna get back to Europe somehow, someday, and it's free service there.

Hardee's/Carl's Jr BOGO deal on the back of their receipts. Do the online survey, get a code for BOGO sandwiches, and the great part of the deal is that it's good for 30 days. If we eat there once a month, we never have to pay full price. BONUS: your receipt will usually have two coupons on the back; you can do the survey twice. And in fact, I'm not sure they even check the number; when I order at the drive-through and tell them I have one, they do the discount before I get to the window.

McDonald's from their app almost always has some deal or another. I suppose most fast food apps do too.

Diesel fuel: TSD Logistics plan, although check each time you use it. Sometimes a local station will have a better price than the "discounted after inflated" price at a truck stop. But sometimes it's worth 40 cents per gallon.

With this inflation showing no signs of significant reduction, I need every break I can get. This is looking more like the late 70s every day.

Yeah, I couldn't have said it better. That's not a time I want to go back to - especially since megacorp won't be raising my salary like they did back then. In fact, my pension is not COLA'd. I'm far from panic at this point but concerned for the nation and especially those living paycheck to paycheck.

I buy tickets for plays on the preview nights. We have a couple of plays coming up and the preview night discounts save around $100 per show. We'll both be old enough soon for senior Clipper cards, discounts for the trains and ferries, which is 50% to 62% off the regular fare prices. We have a few seat filler memberships, where we get unsold event tickets free or cheap. The local libraries have free passes to many of our area's cultural attractions. I also keep an eye on Facebook for specials, park and rec and college events. Between our discount event tickets and Clipper cards we should be able to have a lot of day trips and event nights at pretty minimal costs in the coming year.

What are seat filler memberships?

$3 movie tickets on 9/10, National Movie Day (?).

Wow, the movie was GREAT too!!

Back
Top Bottom