Cheapwad Finds--Opposite of Blow That Dough!

Time to start cleaning and reusing aluminum foil, I guess.

Next thing you know, we'll be adding "reuses aluminum foil" to our standard "recycles dryer sheets." YMMV

My Mom and Dad did this for as long as I can remember. The cabinet above the oven must of had 1000 yards of used aluminum foil. I felt kinda bad when I sent them off to recycling when they passed away.

Price Guarantees. This is a nice little bonus if you ever buy a big purchase that has a price guarantee. Note the length of time the gaurentee is good for and watch the item until that timeline expires.

We bought a couch and recliner for our movie theater yesterday during the "Labor day sales event" that all the furniture stores are notorious for. Today it went on sale for 10% less than the labor day sale price...go figure. So we called the store and got our 10% back!!

I called Sirius XM radio when I got my renewal offer. I told them I didn't use it much and was thinking of cancelling.

I got a nice discount to renew.

The manager at the Holiday gas station asked me where I buy my gas.
"you know I always buy my gas here, why do you ask ?

He handed me a card that gives me $.20 off per gallon for the month of September :)

I feel like we need a thread for bargains that we find.
I went to an estate sale today to shop for items to resell on ebay but actually found something for myself.

I got a brand new record player/CD player/radio combo for $10. I've been wanting a turntable for ages but was too cheap to spend $100+ to get one. It's been years since we had one but I never got rid of my record collection so now for just $10 I get to enjoy it again.

I went to an estate sale today to shop for items to resell on ebay but actually found something for myself.

I got a brand new record player/CD player/radio combo for $10. I've been wanting a turntable for ages but was too cheap to spend $100+ to get one. It's been years since we had one but I never got rid of my record collection so now for just $10 I get to enjoy it again.

Be certain the needle is in good shape. You don't want to damage your vintage vinyl collection!

Starbucks glass of water with ice = free

Not making the trip to Starbucks at all = better than free icewater!

I've never been to a Starbucks! Not an intentional plan on my part. It just never called out to me, although I drink coffee. I see 'em everywhere, but why?

Last edited:
Afriend of ours brings an individually wrapped slice of cheese with him to McD's and puts it on their plain hamburger. Now that is frugal.

We buy real cheddar cheese slices, much better than processed cheese. I always get a burger with no cheese (usually takeout) and add my own cheese at home. It tastes better and of course it's cheaper, too.

Sometimes I'll stop at a local burger place that has great burgers. A single is $8 and a double is $9.50. I get the double as takeout and give one of the patties to my wife or save it for the next day. All we need is a bun and the fixin's. This works because the single is large and more than enough.

Definitely fall in the cheap wad category. For some reason I try to get cellular service for very cheap to free. I am a long time Tracfone user and that is very inexpensive for a low data, talk, text user like me. However, I got into playing their rewards games and have extended my and DH’S service for 3 to 4 years for very close to free. I also used rewards to buy an iPhone 11 for $29 back in the spring.

Here in S. Louisiana poboys are as common as potato chips. DW and I will frequently order a large for a couple $'s more than a small and split it. Most places the large is twice as big (long) as a small.

Got my monthly (or so) at-home haircut this morning. DW has no formal training, but years of experience, all of it on my head and our son's. The haircut now is better than the ones I used to pay for.

Got my monthly (or so) at-home haircut this morning. DW has no formal training, but years of experience, all of it on my head and our son's. The haircut now is better than the ones I used to pay for.

DW does my hair as well. She's not expert, but gets the j*b done. As much as anything, I hate spending time at the barber and the only thing I want to do after getting a hair cut is jump in the shower. At home, I'm 20 seconds away (oh, and DW works cheap!) YMMV

My kid cuts my hair with Wahl clippers...first #3 on back/sides, then #6 for the front.

Last time he forgot to change from #3 to #6 before he switched to the front. :)

So probably not a better cut than paying, but for free I can live with it.

Last edited:
DW used to cut my hair, but now her hands shake too much and I am afraid I will lose an ear. So it's back to the barber!:D

I have been doing my own haircuts for about 10 years. I cut it as short as possible with scissors. It took a while but I do a good job now. It helps when you don't care how you look in the first place.

I've been cutting my own hair with a Wahl clipper for 10+ years. I used to go to Hair Cuttery and it was $15 including the tip. One day we were at the outlets and the Conair outlet had a hair cutting kit for $15. I figured it was worth investing the cost of one haircut to try it ourselves and I've never looked back. That clipper died after a few years and I replaced it with a better quality Wahl model which was about $30 I think and it's still going strong.

Not only have I saved hundreds of dollars over the years, I used to only go to the shop every 5-6 weeks. Now I cut it myself every 2 weeks so it stays much nicer. It also used to be a pain if we had any special event coming up like a wedding or vacation because I'd have to time when I could get it cut. Now I cut it whenever I want to. I've even brought the clipper along when going on an extended trip.

I bought Crea Clip type style guides on Amazon and cut my own hair over the pandemic. I only had to learn one hairstyle so it wasn't hard. I let it grow long enough to brush forward and I can even cut the back myself. I stopped coloring my hair over the pandemic, too. I'm not going back to doing that for toxic chemicals near my brain issues now. DH switched from a busy, expensive downtown salon to a small, inexpensive place with just a couple of chairs over the pandemic and his hair looks the same. That made some really nice annual savings for us.

New deal at McD's, buy 1 quarter pounder with cheese, get another for a buck. Yeah, I got 2, ate 1 and a half - :)

Another self hair cutter here. My late DM used to and when she was no longer able, I started cutting it myself. Haven't been to a barber in probably 50 years.

A new chain barber shop (Great Clips) opened up with a low price incentive of $4.99 on a sign out front. That goes up to $6.99 for a month and then $8.99 a month later. After that probably $15.
I usually get my haircut at the military base. Most of the time I'm not too pleased with it but it is good enough and I usually don't get another haircut for a few months.

Cheers!

My daughter cuts my hair. She’s a pain in the butt. For one, she’s a perfectionist. I just can’t get it through her head that at this stage in my life, I really don’t care if a couple hairs are out of place. So, she spends way too much time doing the cut, but it’s done well. The other is just getting her to come by. She comes by often enough, but to come for the purpose of cutting my hair, she takes her time, for sure. Of course the great thing is the price (zero) and it is great to see her and the grand kids, but I think I’ll let DW give it a go. Since I’ve been dealing with some medical issues, I went to a much shorter cut. Easier to take care of (as in practically none) and as mention, I don’t really care what it looks like as long as it’s clean and neat.

Another Wahl clipper self cutting here. #5 guide all over. Easy and quick at home. Free except the initial clipper cost which i bought cheap on Ebay as a closeout special for $20 for the kit.

Back
Top Bottom