Join Early Retirement Today

Checking an area before moving there -
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Checking an area before moving there -

Moving when one retires has been discussed in different threads, and I have an idea I would like other's brutal assessments comments on.

I'm about to be 54.

I notice lots of homes, mfg. homes, and mobile homes in 55+ communities in the Florida area I'm interested in. Cheap. REEEELY cheap.

What would Floridians say to the idea I buy one as a 'disposa-home'? I could live there on vacations, visit in the winter, etc, but I wouldn't be thinking of it as "the house."

What would be the things to watch out for?

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure what the Floridians will say, but I'd strongly advise you to spring for the optional roll bars...
Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

That was quick

(I wouldn't plan to be there in hurricane season ... don't want to do a Dorothy, no, no!)

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So they do not have the Winter Texan version of the park model in Florida??

Back in the day (1989 - so I'm old) a lot of RV parks in the Rio Grand valley(aka Brownsville to McAllen) had a 'park' section for 'born again Texans' - from er ah like Iowa). They were well built/insulated for the climate and there was an active buy/sell market for those that decided they really liked snow after all. They were roughly 1/2 ? the sq ft of a full size mobile home - but seemed better built.

heh heh heh - couldn't get her interested in Tx at the time after New Orleans. . Plus the RV park would kinda look after them in the off season - I'm sure for a modest fee.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Watch for the lot rent and association fees. My FIL lived in one of these. We sold it for something like $6000-$8000 when he died, furnished, and the lot rent went up substantially after he died.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post

What would be the things to watch out for?

ta,
mews

1- Sleezy neighborhoods
2- Ever increasing Park rent
3- Your roof flying by when a tropical storm hits
4- Crazy Homeowners associations
5-Lack of privacy
6- Age of other residents ( They tend to attract the real senior citizens )
7- Whether you can get homeowner's insurance for a reasonable price

There are some very nice developments and there are some crummy ones . To get in a decent one you are looking at more than dirt cheap depending on the area with all the condos on sale I'd go with that rather than a mobile home .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
1- Sleezy neighborhoods
2- Ever increasing Park rent
3- Your roof flying by when a tropical storm hits
4- Crazy Homeowners associations
5-Lack of privacy
6- Age of other residents ( They tend to attract the real senior citizens )
7- Whether you can get homeowner's insurance for a reasonable price

There are some very nice developments and there are some crummy ones . To get in a decent one you are looking at more than dirt cheap depending on the area with all the condos on sale I'd go with that rather than a mobile home .
I agree with the idea of a condo. In addition to the 7 disadvantages listed above, manufactured homes tend to depreciate rapidly, especially new ones. Having owned (and taken a bath) on one, I speak from experience.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Watch out for your intoxicated gun toting neighbors. I live in St Augustine Florida. All the problems seemed to be confined around the mobile and manufactured home areas. At least the blue collar crime does. Affluent people do not want them in their neighborhoods so they get banished to the poorer areas. There are some exceptions but not many I have seen in my house hunting travels.

SWR
Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Watch out for your intoxicated gun toting neighbors.
Agreed, but there is a way to learn about that ahead of time. Call the police and ask them. Speak to several individual officers who actually work in that area and ask them "Would you be comfortable with your mother/sister/daughter living there?"

Hint: It's a good sign if they don't know where it is. That means they never get called there.

Most of the larger departments also have at least one person whose sole job it to track the crime statistics for that jurisdiction. He/she would also be a good person to talk to.

You can also get crime statistics for a zip code from the FBI's web site, but neighborhoods vary wildly and three blocks can make all the difference in the world. That's why I favor talking to the locals.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have seen upscale motor home parks with a few manufactured "park model" homes on them that looked OK, esp when those homes are just a small proportion of the park. But the places which are mostly mobile or manufactured homes are, well, interesting places from the looks of things.

Watch your step with those places. I think it's a risky idea.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I see no need to rush to buy now. That RE is not going to rebound quickly. Just after a hurricane misses an area that you have already checked, buy then. That will be in the heat of summer, not during the high season.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I agree with the idea of a condo. In addition to the 7 disadvantages listed above, manufactured homes tend to depreciate rapidly, especially new ones. Having owned (and taken a bath) on one, I speak from experience.
I would not buy a cheap condo either - for the same reasons listed above. I would only buy a condo that was the same price or more than a SFH in the same area. Owners, therefore, are there because they want to live in a condo, not because they cannot afford anything else.

In a cheap condo, more than likely, you'll find crazy, noisy neighbors who call the police on each other all the time, shoddy, sometimes old, construction requiring frequent increases in common charges and special assessments. Smaller complexes + not so bright owners = potential for thievery by board members and property managers. This is a LBYM experience where you may just have outsmarted yourself. Been there, done that.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I would not buy a cheap condo either - for the same reasons listed above. I would only buy a condo that was the same price or more than a SFH in the same area.

The thing of it is right now in Florida there is a glut of condos so you can find a well built inexpensive condo pretty easily . When the real estate was peeking a lot of Realtors bought condos to flip and are now unloading then to survive .
Old 01-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Good to avoid the white trash (of which Florida has an abundance, as well as other hues )... one suggestion, I have seen it done by relatives of a friend, is that you can do trial stays (vacations if you will) at the retirement communities. I'm not sure, but I think if you bought at one of the 55+ communities, you will avoid a lot of the "trailer trash" problems.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorrero View Post
I'm not sure, but I think if you bought at one of the 55+ communities, you will avoid a lot of the "trailer trash" problems.

You would avoid the trailer trash but you would have tons of people with nothing better to do then watch what you are doing especially if you are single .
Old 01-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The thing of it is right now in Florida there is a glut of condos so you can find a well built inexpensive condo pretty easily . When the real estate was peeking a lot of Realtors bought condos to flip and are now unloading then to survive .
The problem with inexpensive is that lots of other people who can't afford anything else will be attracted, those referred to in earlier posts as trailer trash, not-so-bright, crazy, noisy, sleezy, etc. I'm in the northeast and I'm seeing new expensive condos all over the place that are not selling and they are not being reduced in price. I saw this happen in the late '80s - the developers wait and wait and then are forced to auction off the units and people buy in for 10 cents on the dollar. You get enough of those folks buying in, they eventually get on the board of directors, and you can see where that gets you.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You would avoid the trailer trash but you would have tons of people with nothing better to do then watch what you are doing especially if you are single .
Ah! So that's what those folks in adult community spend their day doing. Men to ogle the single chicks, and the wives to watch their husbands.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah! So that's what those folks in adult community spend their day doing. Men to ogle the single chicks, and the wives to watch their husbands.

Absolutely , I lived in an older community and the most fun they had was watching who I was dating . At least it got them away from their medical woes for awhile .