Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I always thought that when i retired i'd move to some scenic part of the country and spend 6 months a year in Florida but now its here (retirement) i realize dont really want to leave all my friends and family so i decided to stay put and just take longer vacations.
Though I never gave serious thought to moving away (I did ponder it a few times), I don't really want to leave all my friends and relatives either. And, like you, we are taking more AND longer vacations! In about 2 weeks we're heading to Florida for a few weeks.....to enjoy their winter weather!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

How many here have two homes? It would be the best of both worlds to have a vacation/2nd home somewhere warm in the winter and your primary home in the N.E/midwest with family and friends. Is this difficult to do logistically, having to take care of 2 homes, especially when your not there for extended periods of time?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
How many here have two homes? It would be the best of both worlds to have a vacation/2nd home somewhere warm in the winter and your primary home in the N.E/midwest with family and friends. Is this difficult to do logistically, having to take care of 2 homes, especially when your not there for extended periods of time?
Some of us have a second home on wheels and are (or are contemplating) doing something like you propose. Only in my case it would be roughly 180 degrees different when it comes to geography/climate as we plan on heading to the mountains in the summer.

Living in an RV for an extended period of time might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it can be logistically much easier and considerably less expensive to own and care for than a stick & brick second home. And when you're back at home base, it's good place to hide from DW, too.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Retire early, move, live longer

Quote:
As for staying in one's home state, I think a lot of people spend their entire lives in one state. It takes independence, bravery, a spirit of adventure, willingness to adapt, and above all, lots more cash $$$, to move to another state. It's always easier to just hang around nearby the area that is familiar to you.
A study I saw many years ago showed that people who hang around the area where they lived and worked all of their lives tend to die within an average of 18 months. People who up and move across the country (such as New York to Florida, or Ohio to Arizona) tend to live a lot longer than if they stayed put.

There are several reasons for this but the one that makes the most sense is, simply, the activity and stimulation that go along with a major move and adapting to a new area tend to occupy one's mind constructively and this leads to a more positive outlook and better overall health.

Many retirees who stay in the area where they worked for 30 years or so tend to dwell on how much they miss the comraderie of the work environment and suchlike and that takes a toll on both psychological and physiological well-being.

Not me. When I retire in a couple of years, I'M OUTTA HERE!
want2xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
There are many web sites that provide information about cities & towns across the country, weather, taxes, etc. If anyone wants the addresses of these sites I would be glad to post them here.
Tiger, I am very interested to look at the web sites you've collected.
I think this info will be beneficial for others as well.
Pasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2xplore View Post
A study I saw many years ago showed that people who hang around the area where they lived and worked all of their lives tend to die within an average of 18 months. People who up and move across the country (such as New York to Florida, or Ohio to Arizona) tend to live a lot longer than if they stayed put.

There are several reasons for this but the one that makes the most sense is, simply, the activity and stimulation that go along with a major move and adapting to a new area tend to occupy one's mind constructively and this leads to a more positive outlook and better overall health.

Many retirees who stay in the area where they worked for 30 years or so tend to dwell on how much they miss the comraderie of the work environment and suchlike and that takes a toll on both psychological and physiological well-being.

Me too! Moving can be an adventure, and can lead to a better quality of life. Low crime, low cost of living, a peaceful, walkable community, and no hurricanes will all contribute to a better quality of life for me. Interesting point about the increased length of life. I didn't realize that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That list once attracted me. I spent some time in the NM places, and no thanks. However Reno really is the "Biggest Little City in the World", and is definitely a contender. If my kids ever left here I woujld be strongly tempted to head down there.
Ha
Ha,

What didn't you like about NM and what towns did you visit? Also what are the places you have under consideration?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
That's a tough one, M. It will be tough to give up Florida during the 7 good weather months, it's just so beautiful here and the only place you can really enjoy true subtropical living. And two sets of kids are distant for us. We're trying to figure out if RVing makes sense for us half-time or so (vagabonding, settling a couple months near each kid place), maybe combined with a major Florida downsizing.

I'm also thinking about that or becoming a reverse snow bird . I really miss the winter so I've been thinking maybe the way to go is to trade my house for a house near my daughter for the month of Nov.& Dec..
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting. Can you provide some additional information to allow us to verify this?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by want2xplore

If that is the case, isn't it logical that people who are ill, or sedentary, or depressed or otherwise have a shorter life expectancy might be less inclined to make a major life move, compared to those 60-65 year old who are active, robust, healthy, etc.?

I'm real skeptical of the cause-and-effect side of that kind of research. But, as someone who has moved several times over my career, I do find the moves invigorating and rejuvenating. I miss the friends, but quickly make new ones and enjoy the excitement of getting to know a whole new world.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

We are moving 4 hours away to still be near the kids and grandkids. If it were up to me I would sell the house and invest the proceeds and live in the MH for a few years to see where I really want to live. Our compromise plan is to sell the house and move far enough south to get out of the worst of winter. The downside is summers will be 5-10 degrees hotter but our plan is to not be there during the worst of it.

Out here most major cities are at least 500 miles apart with hundreds of miles of "not much" in between. After a while you stop measuring the miles and just think of it in hours. 7 hours to Las Vegas, 6 hours to Reno, 8 hours to Denver, etc. Once we move Las Vegas is only a couple of hours away so that will be our new shopping and medical area. We don't gamble so we see Vegas as just another big city, only more well lit.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #33

Quote:

Applying Occam's razor
"All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best",
I would say that the reason for this is that people who are in poor health cannot move across the room, much less across the country. They are in health care facilities, hospitals, hospices, their own homes and are not mobile. Hence the mortality rate is higher.
People who are in good health can move across the country or around the world and they have a tendency to live longer because they were in better health to begin with.
Therefore, by all means move when you get to FIRE ... it means you are in good enough health to enjoy more years of it.

This has made my day ... as I am about 14,000 miles from home right now.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This is basically impossible. Average life expectancy is too long for many people to be dying within 18 months of retirement, and most people do indeed stay put.

And when you get to imagining the most likely "reasons" for this impossible result you come up with one that would be expected from a senior community development marketing department.

Try this one instead- it takes a certain amount of health and confidence in your health to pull up roots and take off. If you have terminal cancer are you likely to move to Florida?

Ha
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Have a house in Illinois and condo in Az. Logistically, the condo was a little difficult at first with deliveries, setting up furniture, setting up accounts, etc. Now everything is set up and I have a service to check in twice a month when I'm not there. I'm in a HOA that takes care of the outside. I dont get any mail there. Everything is running smooth now - just wish I could spend more time there.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
This has made my day ... as I am about 14,000 miles from home right now.
If you don't mind my asking about where are you, and why? I have noticed from your references to your local time that you are on the other side of the earth, somewhere. Are you vacationing in Asia? I guess I should read the travel section of this message board, and then I'd probably know. Oh well. Anyway, take lots of photos and have a great time.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Have a house in Illinois and condo in Az. Logistically, the condo was a little difficult at first with deliveries, setting up furniture, setting up accounts, etc. Now everything is set up and I have a service to check in twice a month when I'm not there. I'm in a HOA that takes care of the outside. I dont get any mail there. Everything is running smooth now - just wish I could spend more time there.
Sounds great! When do get a chance to go to Arizona, is it difficult to care for your house in Illinois?

I guess that in the winter you could shut off the water and empty the pipes in the house and in the summer you could hire someone to keep the yard mowed. And then in any season, you could shut off utilities and stop the mail, but I have no idea what other issues might arise.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #38

i think i'll be on a reverse migration, retiring out of florida. having lived here since 1974, i've already done my time served. so i can leave now. i lived here to be with family, most of whom have died. so many friends have either died or left it's like living in a ghost town. most likely even my brother will leave the state after his kids are done with school.

i've been more concerned about people than place (though fortunately my people lived in some pretty gr8 places). i hardly ever even considered living away from family (i'm such a momma's boy) and besides college i've never quite left home. now it doesn't seem to matter where i'll be. i just know i don't want to be here.

i think i will make a good retired vagabond, at least for a while. in my current state of mind, i can't imagine finding any particular town possessing qualities that will make up for the lives that i have lost. but who knows, maybe i'll meet someone along the way who will make me feel at home.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
If you don't mind my asking about where are you, and why? I have noticed from your references to your local time that you are on the other side of the earth, somewhere. Are you vacationing in Asia? I guess I should read the travel section of this message board, and then I'd probably know. Oh well. Anyway, take lots of photos and have a great time.
Yep, been traveling Asia for a while now... Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, SuChow, Hong Kong, Kunming, Lijang, Taiwan, Japan, ...etc.. Will be back in spring. I had to get outta the snow for one winter just because I'm RETIRED! and can do it.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Sounds great! When do get a chance to go to Arizona, is it difficult to care for your house in Illinois?

I guess that in the winter you could shut off the water and empty the pipes in the house and in the summer you could hire someone to keep the yard mowed. And then in any season, you could shut off utilities and stop the mail, but I have no idea what other issues might arise.
W2R, I know this was directed to Ronstar, but when we go away for any length of time, our neighbors look after things here. One of our neighbors has our house and car keys, does a daily house check, clears away snow in the winter, and takes in the mail & newspaper. If we go on a bus trip, he picks up our car where we catch the bus, and then he takes it back there on the day we return. One of the other neighbor's kids cuts our grass as needed, and still another neighbor waters the gardens and flowers. Of course we reciprocate the kindness!

So you can see, this was/is a GREAT place to retire!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote