Class of 2012

Congrats, BB! Are you two ready to be cut free on the same day? What fun to figure it all out together. All the best to both of you!

Well....yesterday was my last day and I was struck with unanticipated emotion. This transition has been planned for, meticulously executed, and enthusiastically anticipated. I was I'll-prepared for the unexpected sense of loss and anxiety on my last day. This too shall pass, but it underscores for me that retirement is a process, not an event. In scanning this thread it almost appears that everyone leaves and never looks back, that now seems somewhat unrealistic.

In scanning this thread it almost appears that everyone leaves and never looks back, that now seems somewhat unrealistic.
I certainly looked back and my reaction when doing so was "Thank goodness I don't have to do that any more!". I didn't hate my job but having to go to work every day was a big inconvenience and constantly interfered with what I really wanted to do. :)

Thanks, that's a good reminder about why I did this. I think I was just surprised by my reaction. I know I made the right decision for me.

2 months to go for me...55 total days but only 43 working days. We've been doing a lot of stock up on stuff that costs more than $20. Thinking it will make the transition on income a little easier.
Yesterday purchased a large trash can with a locking lid so we can put the trash out the night before and not worry about putting it out the morning of...sleep longer! Now that makes me smile!

Adding myself to the list. I finished up in March after 35 years of full time + employment. So far, I'm enjoying not having a defined schedule. It doesn't quite seem real yet. Congrats to everyone in the class of 2012.

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Beowolf 2/29/12
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 9/12
CitizenK 3/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
LeapDay2012 2/29/12 (46)
marylandcrab
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Oldtrig 2/29/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RynoSeattle 2/1/12
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_ 2/2012
teejayevans 3/2/12
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee 4/27/12
z-d-g 3/1/12

you really need to tell me about the dryer sheets. what's the story here. I'm so looking forward to recycle them myself. just tell me how. I actually do in a small way. I use them to dust small places sometimes before throwing them out. or wash something and then throw them out.
but there must be more to it that this.

always looking for new ideas on how to save...

I was I'll-prepared for the unexpected sense of loss and anxiety on my last day.

I didn't hate my job but having to go to work every day was a big inconvenience and constantly interfered with what I really wanted to do. :)

Exactly! Work is interfering with what I really want to do, I don't have time to work.....

Then on the other hand - what will the drive to work be like on my last day? Will there be a sense of loss, or will I have a huge grin on my face?

Blackwoodt said:
Exactly! Work is interfering with what I really want to do, I don't have time to work.....

Then on the other hand - what will the drive to work be like on my last day? Will there be a sense of loss, or will I have a huge grin on my face?

For me, it was pretty exciting. My plan was finally coming together! :) I think you will enjoy the experience and anticipation.

The only time I felt a little shaky was the very last moment before leaving, when I handed in the initialed checklist, my parking hangtag, and then my badge. I felt a little lost without my badge as I stumbled out to my car, but once inside the car I realized that finally I was in the driver's seat in so many ways. That great big smile came back and hasn't left since. :D

2 months to go for me...55 total days but only 43 working days. We've been doing a lot of stock up on stuff that costs more than $20. Thinking it will make the transition on income a little easier.
You do realise that money doesn't go bad like milk, right? Well, I suppose it does a little for inflation, but if well-invested it can be stored like fine old cheese. (Enough of the analogies already!)

I've been having similar thoughts as ER approaches: Oh, I can afford that this month, but in three months I won't be able to. It's surprising how much effort it takes to bring my train of thought back to how irrational this is.

Oh Dear! What have I done?!!?!?! I am off this week for Spring Break. I decided to 'practice' being retired and stayed home, doing whatever pleased me each day. I drove to a nearby town to visit my child. I had morning coffee with a friend. I stayed out late one night, since there was no reason to get up early in the morning. I cleaned the house and shopped mid-week. And there are still two days left!!

I am quite spoiled by this. How can I return to work for 11 more weeks. I fear I shall have quite the short-timer's attitude. :D :nonono::banghead:>:D:tongue:

Oh Dear! What have I done?!!?!?! I am off this week for Spring Break. I decided to 'practice' being retired and stayed home, doing whatever pleased me each day. I drove to a nearby town to visit my child. I had morning coffee with a friend. I stayed out late one night, since there was no reason to get up early in the morning. I cleaned the house and shopped mid-week. And there are still two days left!!

I am quite spoiled by this. How can I return to work for 11 more weeks. I fear I shall have quite the short-timer's attitude. :D :nonono::banghead:>:D:tongue:

Chuckanut - I think you got i down! good man.

Well....yesterday was my last day and I was struck with unanticipated emotion. This transition has been planned for, meticulously executed, and enthusiastically anticipated. I was I'll-prepared for the unexpected sense of loss and anxiety on my last day. This too shall pass, but it underscores for me that retirement is a process, not an event. In scanning this thread it almost appears that everyone leaves and never looks back, that now seems somewhat unrealistic.

Everything is an adjustment - different for different people
I looked at it this way: It is better to adjust to not working than having to
adjust to going to work!
good luck and enjoy

35 working days for me. I guesstimate that my # of days teaching (not including years of other jobs) is approximately 6000. So, 35 days is amazing to me!

DH, who retired last year, commented the other day that one thing he really loves about being retired is....no longer wishing the days away. I don't CARE if it's Friday. Each day is special and I don't care what day it is.

I love the thought of that way of being!

In my work mail box today was a questionaire about what school I might want to work in next year and what subject I might want to teach. I tore it up. :)

I had a professional day today where I'm writing curriculum for the course I teach, it's been a 9 month process...I'm gone in less than 50 total days! How crazy is that? At the end of the day they talked about when/who would present to CO this summer and beyond. Total disconnect.

Eight working days left for me. I received an e-mail yesterday from megacorp advising me that the deadline for submitting my annual professional development plan is approaching. I had the pleasure of hitting the "delete" button!:dance: I now get to enjoy the fact that I will be saying goodbye to all the corporate BS that I have endured for the past 27 years.
I am starting to feel more relaxed already. ;)

Adding myself to the list too. I started ER on March 1st - what a gift - still can't believe it!

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Beowolf 2/29/12
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 9/12
CitizenK 3/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
LeapDay2012 2/29/12 (46)
marylandcrab
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Oldtrig 2/29/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
psweath 3/1/12
RynoSeattle 2/1/12
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_ 2/2012
teejayevans 3/2/12
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee 4/27/12
z-d-g 3/1/12

OK let's call me retired. I shipped back my computer and got my bonus. I have no access to email anymore so it's all over for me. I still get 2 more paychecks and the severance check, but I am done. :)

I feel RELIEVED and happy. No anxiety at all.

My husband's last day is May 4.

Those that have been thru this before, and all of us on the verge...does this thought process make sense?
When I daydream about retirement, I seem to treat it like a brief thought about what I would do if I won the lottery. I dream about what it would be like, what I would do with my time, get this big goofy smile on my face, then quickly make myself stop, because that is foolish...that doesn't happen to average everyday normal people. Then I wonder...is this really going to happen? It just doesn't seem like something that could happen to me, and especially in less than 2 months. Serious "short timers" syndrome going on here.

T I dream about what it would be like, what I would do with my time, get this big goofy smile on my face, then quickly make myself stop, because that is foolish...that doesn't happen to average everyday normal people. Then I wonder...is this really going to happen? It just doesn't seem like something that could happen to me, and especially in less than 2 months. Serious "short timers" syndrome going on here.

Yes, I find myself having similar 'impure' thoughts. When things get rough or the students simply have decided to stop learning, I just say to myself "soon you will be retired and this won't matter much."

But, for the time being I have to press on. Earlier this week we had a loooooooong after school meeting to discuss possible changes to the school day next year. I was obligated to go since that is one of the things I am paid for, I offered my thoughts, but in my mind I kept saying " I won't be here anyway."

I am officially a member of the class of 2012, effective April 23, 2012. I couldn't be happier! I have spent many years lurking at this forum, reading retirement planning books, playing with spreadsheets, and dreaming of no longer working. It is finally here. I am going to sleep for a month, then travel for a while before figuring out whats next!

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara 4/12
Beowolf 2/29/12
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 9/12
CitizenK 3/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
Lagniappe (4/23/12)
LeapDay2012 2/29/12 (46)
marylandcrab
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Oldtrig 2/29/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
psweath 3/1/12
RynoSeattle 2/1/12
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_ 2/2012
teejayevans 3/2/12
TeeRa 8/12
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee 4/27/12
z-d-g 3/1/12

Last edited by a moderator:
I am officially a member of the class of 2012, effective April 23, 2012. I couldn't be happier! I have spent many years lurking at this forum, reading retirement planning books, playing with spreadsheets, and dreaming of no longer working. It is finally here. I am going to sleep for a month, then travel for a while before figuring out whats next!

Congratulations Lagniappe!
Isn’t it hard to believe that it’s finally time?! I still have a few months, but the time is going by fast!

Enjoy the future, and your new found freedom. :ROFLMAO:

Yesterday I took a personal day. DH and I took care of all my retirement paperwork (teacher retirement, state employee retirement paperwork- from a two year job in between teaching stints, insurance and 403b rollovers) in Little Rock.

It went very smoothly. I had everything needed! Can't believe it, as it always seems i am missing SOME important piece of paper.

The woman replacing me spent Tuesday with me at work, asking questions and taking notes. I really liked her style; she will be great.

It's all starting to feel real.

Congratulations to you guys who just posted! :D

Back
Top Bottom