Class of 2012

Severance package?? What's a severance package?

We public employees don't get no stinkin' severance package@

Congratulations on the retirement with severance package.

I'd have liked to pull that off, but just got tired of waiting.

Six more work days for me ...

That was me. I begged to be laid off after having laid off over 1000 people but I wasn't so fortunate. I left on my own accord and don't regret it.

I gave my notice on Monday -- last day is November 9. Unlike many others on this board, I am not an "early" retiree. I had a 32 year year career in a fun industry, worked with a lot of great people and was well compensated and well-treated. My colleagues are happy for me so I know my last days here will be pleasant.
That said, I am looking forward to spending more time with DH, who retired 10 years ago. We are still young enough and healthy enough to thoroughly enjoy retirement. I am looking forward to early morning walks on the beach and lots of travel. I am very excited!

Today, I received my first retirement check from my Gold Plated, Platinum Lined, Diamond Decorated pension plan.

Well, maybe polished bronze, on a pine base, with a few rhinestones pension plan. :rolleyes:

In any case if certainly felt good. :dance:

Today, I received my first retirement check from my Gold Plated, Platinum Lined, Diamond Decorated pension plan.

Well, maybe polished bronze, on a pine base, with a few rhinestones pension plan. :rolleyes:

In any case if certainly felt good. :dance:

Congratulations, Chuckanut! That's a great feeling. :D

41 Work days to go ! Weight is now down by 40 pounds in 3 months and 2 weeks and continues to drop.. Read Younger Next Year last week what a great book ! I ran 5 miles today longest distance I have run in 3 years. Starting to interview candidates for my position that feels really strange.

41 Work days to go ! Weight is now down by 40 pounds in 3 months and 2 weeks and continues to drop.. Read Younger Next Year last week what a great book ! I ran 5 miles today longest distance I have run in 3 years. Starting to interview candidates for my position that feels really strange.

Wonderful! There isn't enough money in the world to buy those benefits.

I had a smaller but similar experience recently. I had my blood pressure taken and normally it is in the 120/70 range. Not bad, bu One month after retiring it was 112/60. The lower number has never been that low.

30 Work days to go !! Weight is now down by 44 pounds in 4 months. Running 3 miles a day and just added strength training into the workouts. Just had my blood tested for Dr. appt next week Cholesterol down by 25% Triglycerides down by 51%, Glucose down by 28% All in normal ranges now !! Looking forward to additional time for longer workouts.

Way to go, XYZ!

And, 30 days to go is sweet.

I'm now in the class!

Although I expected to retire in 2013 or 2014, over the summer I decided to retire a little early. So, as of Sept 1, I joined the class of 2012. It feels so good! Travelling while we can. Just returned from South Africa and planning to escape the Canadian cold this winter. No regrets at all.:dance:

A little late with our [-]brag[/-] announcement, but my lovely wife and I have pulled it off as planned. No paycheck for her since June, my last day was a couple weeks ago.

We're figuring many things out as we go, but so far - we're finding the change to be perfectly acceptable. :D

Congratulations CarlK and Da Nag. Happy retirement.

Finally joined the class on October 1st.

Been a busy first retirement month, helped my daughter move from DC to Chicago, spent some time in Chicago before moving on to Phoenix to play in a senior baseball tournament, then another tournament in Las Vegas. So I've only been home a few days, just beginning to get used to the idea of not actually having to do work-related tasks.

Won't take long to get accustomed to it, I'm guessing.

Hi all! I just joined the Class of 2012. My retirement date has moved up to 12/21/12. Final decisions are being made on my replacement, then I will do the training and wave buh bye!

Congratulations Shortstop14 and RitaR551 !! I have 20 work days left and have lost 50 pounds now in less than 5 months... It's going to be a long healthy retirement ! Doing 50 mile bike rides and 3 - 5 mile runs started swimming this week.. I see a triathalon in my future... Going to be great to be able to workout as long as I want.

Thanks ... I'm finding that one of the nicer things about being retired is the ability to go to the gym at the off-peak hours. No competition for equipment so I can set up a circuit and get things done quickly.

Congratulations on moving towards getting in shape - that may have a bigger impact on your future life than retirement, in the end.

Checking in. 6 Months into retirement - I am totally relaxed and happy.

My husband on the other hand, has volunteered for so many things - and he even took a paid job driving for a charity (they asked him to).

He keeps asking me "what are you going to do" like I have to do something. LOL I have been working on house projects, enjoying that. We also did a bit of travel, including a roadtrip from Boston through the Smokies to Nashville, and then back.

Life is good!

Hello folks. I'm happy to report that I did retire before turning 50, just as I hoped back in July 2007 when I joined this forum. Last day working was Feb 2012. I never thought I could do it, but reading many of the posts here and seeing how I am not alone in my FIREd dream inspired me to work and save for it. I did it! I am now enjoying and appreciating life's simple pleasures... amazing how that fresh cup of coffee for breakfast is so much more enjoyable when you don't have to rush it to go to work. I'm eating a lot healthier and exercising more regularly. Now getting at least 7 hrs sleep, instead of the usual 5hrs. Life is good. I got a life again!

Add me to the list! First day of retirement is Dec 25, Christmas day, age 51.

R

Congratulations Rambler! Now, let's just hope the Mayans are wrong about 12-21-12. :)

Well, I have resigned effective 12/1/12. I'm calling it a sabbatical, but in my mind it's a possible retirement. After achieving FI a couple of years ago, I spent 18 months quietly wrapping up my old role for the acquiring company. It was dull, but the incentives to finish were significant, and I enjoyed the way my personal life opened up when I worked a straight 40 hour schedule. I have spent the past six months working for a chaotic young company in a much more demanding role.

Taking the new position was a mistake. The satisfaction that comes from earning money is modest now, and my level of patience for common workplace stressors like people with personal agendas at odds with the organization's best interest has declined a lot. If I take paying work in the future, it will need to be something I would be happy to do for free.

I'm looking forward to getting involved with my daughter's last year of home school (8th grade) and otherwise puttering. I'm not going to make any new commitments for a while.

Back
Top Bottom