Class of 2012

Marc1962 said:
Well, I have resigned effective 12/1/12. I'm calling it a sabbatical, but in my mind it's a possible retirement. After achieving FI a couple of years ago, I spent 18 months quietly wrapping up my old role for the acquiring company. It was dull, but the incentives to finish were significant, and I enjoyed the way my personal life opened up when I worked a straight 40 hour schedule. I have spent the past six months working for a chaotic young company in a much more demanding role.

Taking the new position was a mistake. The satisfaction that comes from earning money is modest now, and my level of patience for common workplace stressors like people with personal agendas at odds with the organization's best interest has declined a lot. If I take paying work in the future, it will need to be something I would be happy to do for free.

I'm looking forward to getting involved with my daughter's last year of home school (8th grade) and otherwise puttering. I'm not going to make any new commitments for a while.

Good for you! Christmas day will be my first day of retirement, and I can hardly wait. I couldn't agree more with your comment on taking paying work in the future only if it something you'd be happy to do for free. The office politics, bureaucracy, stress, and pressure are no longer tolerable and work that I would be happy to do for free would not contain elements of that nature.

R

Drum roll....... Meadbh just joined the class of 2012! :dance:

My original plan was to ER 16 months from now, but this j*b just wasn't a good fit and so the organization and I have agreed to go our separate ways. I am looking forward to a healthier lifestyle, more time with friends and family, and freedom! I may do some consulting, but have no plans to take on a high pressure j*b again.

I am so thankful to be FIRE!

My original plan was to ER 16 months from now, but this j*b just wasn't a good fit and so the organization and I have agreed to go our separate ways. I am looking forward to a healthier lifestyle, more time with friends and family, and freedom! I may do some consulting, but have no plans to take on a high pressure j*b again.

Congratulations! I think that you had to move to take that job. Will you stay at your new location?

WOW!!! Congratulations! :dance::clap: :dance: :clap: Soon you will be experiencing a wonderful and lower stress lifestyle, in retirement. :D

Congratulations! I think that you had to move to take that job. Will you stay at your new location?

No plans to move at present. It's a good ER location with lots to do, mild winters, hot summers and a major airport.

Congratulations!!! I hear you on "maybe a little consulting but no plans to take on a high pressure j*b". Same here...no more pressure! I'll be right behind you on 25 Dec, my first day of FIRE. Can't wait!

R

Congrats!

Once one has reached the point of FI, the RE part is just a matter of when one decides to walk off a job. To be able to leave on one's own terms when one feels like it is great! It's an option that many highly-paid people would never know because they do not practice LBYM. Should we pity them? Nah!

Last edited:

Congratulations !

Another congratulations, hoping ER is everything you hoped it would be.

Meadbh,

Congrats on reaching the promised land; enjoy!

Well done, Meadbh.

Quick update... now 16 work days until retirement and counting each and every day. I have been on vacation most of November and now my total weight loss is 60 pounds in 5 months. We have been down south in Florida swimming daily and bicycling 50 miles every third day. I can't believe how fast the time is passing and I have not even had time to spend on this site due to how busy we have been. We were gone for 3 weeks and did not do half the things we wanted to do.. I have a real good feeling about this retirement thing...

I'm at the airport, on my way back from one of my two final business trips. I have two more full days in the office, and one week long business trip that will include a farewell party with my boss and other sr execs at my level. Then the movers come, have one more farewell party with my local colleagues, clean the apartment, close the bank accounts, turn off utilities, and head to the airport. During the mover's work, I'll go to the office once or twice for an hour or two each time to clear up any outstanding items. Not sure I'll be going back to Japan for more transition. The schedule for that keeps changing, and I'm ready to move on. If it isn't nailed down in a couple days, I'll just tell my successor to email if there are questions and I'll try to get back to him when some time opens up in my schedule. ;-)

R

Your excitement is palpable, Rambler!

Quick update... now 16 work days until retirement and counting each and every day. I have been on vacation most of November and now my total weight loss is 60 pounds in 5 months. We have been down south in Florida swimming daily and bicycling 50 miles every third day. I can't believe how fast the time is passing and I have not even had time to spend on this site due to how busy we have been. We were gone for 3 weeks and did not do half the things we wanted to do.. I have a real good feeling about this retirement thing...
sounds great , congrads. on losing all that weight!
enjoy.

I'm at the airport, on my way back from one of my two final business trips. I have two more full days in the office, and one week long business trip that will include a farewell party with my boss and other sr execs at my level. Then the movers come, have one more farewell party with my local colleagues, clean the apartment, close the bank accounts, turn off utilities, and head to the airport. During the mover's work, I'll go to the office once or twice for an hour or two each time to clear up any outstanding items. Not sure I'll be going back to Japan for more transition. The schedule for that keeps changing, and I'm ready to move on. If it isn't nailed down in a couple days, I'll just tell my successor to email if there are questions and I'll try to get back to him when some time opens up in my schedule. ;-)

R

I know how you feel.. I have dinners and lunches over the next three weeks. Moving south for the winter right after.. lots of preparation.. My boss contacted me yesterday looks like I will be flying in for a week in Jan and a week in Feb to help in the transition.. I am ok with that...I was thinking of a small sailboat ...

First post.
25 days and counting to FIRE. 28.5 yrs. and calling it good. Year's severance and a lump sum year's worth of health insurance company contributions. Two FIRE keys for me, 38 years with the gal I love and living below your means. Yahoo!
BTW, retire is the wrong word. Seems to passive and to close to retreating. I prefer Transition. FITE

Last edited:
First post.
25 days and counting to FIRE. 28.5 yrs. and calling it good. Year's severance and a lump sum year's worth of health insurance company contributions. Two FIRE keys for me, 38 years with the gal I love and living below your means. Yahoo!
BTW, retire is the wrong word. Seems to passive and to close to retreating. I prefer Transition. FITE

Great severance package.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom