Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I plan to retire in 2015 at age 53. Conservative folks (people who favor 2 - 3% WR) in this forum will say I don't have enough. Using Bernicke spending model, I get 100% success rate. Using my own spreadsheet, I also get 100% success rate. But to be sure, I am doing OMY until July 2015 to add a little cushion to my ER fund.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #222

Add my name officially. I submitted my resign.doc and now have the date: 17 July 2015! Only 307 days from now. Have planned this since 1992...
Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #223
Full time employment: Posting here.

July 2, 2015! I will give notice in Nov. I am being a nice guy to a staff who I am hoping will be promoted. Also, there are two client projects that I want completed (right) before I leave. Also, vesting on July 1 along with one more 401k match! If they terminate me early, after 21 years, I know some things which will make separation less painful for me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #224

Well, circumstances change. I just told my immediate boss (and friend) that July 1 is the date I retire! It is official!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #225
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm changing my date to June 30, 2015 from October 2015. I know it's only a few months but they will be good summer months.

Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #226

I have been getting signals from my bosses that they want me to hang around after my July vacation. I don't think they will be willing to meet my asking price!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
I have been getting signals from my bosses that they want me to hang around after my July vacation. I don't think they will be willing to meet my asking price!

You're a nice guy, you are giving them almost a year of warning

For me once my wife and I agree on a date it will go likely go down like this

3 months before - I will tell my lead engineer in confidence...she will likely take over the group so she needs to know first and decide if that's what she wants to do
2 months before - I will tell the rest of the team here and overseas. I have worked with them for a long time and they also deserved to hear it from me before anyone else but I will still ask for it to be confidential
1 month before - I'll give official notice

I have the following possible dates planned to
Jan 1 - good because its a clean break at the beginning of the year ACA etc but unlikely due to other reasons including completing a remodel
April 1 - Doh!
Mid July - celebrate my birthday the best way possible (I think this is the most probable date as it would also allow me to get the 401K funded for the year which isn't a bad thing). It won't happen this late possibly because our office move means a much worse commute for me and I might just say screw it
Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #228

Nuke:
I gave them 10 months. I work for a family company (not mine!!) and my clients are family member that I have spent 21 years serving. The length of my notice was not for the company (2 weeks for the company would be generous!!) but for my clients. They uniformly expressed excitement that I was able to retire, and would have the time to enjoy life, while acknowledging the loss of my services and thanking me for giving sufficient time to find a suitable replacement. This contrasts with the response of some in management that I didn't give sufficient time, and that my decision is detrimental to the company! I wish that there was a way to give the clients the long notice while giving the company a 2 week notice!! Oh well, I am going to leave with my head held high and no regrets!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

Freshly bumped out of the class of 2014, add me to the class of 2015! Looking at Q2, but might suffer from one-more-month syndrome. Trying really hard to not make that full-blown OMY.
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #230
Recycles dryer sheets

I see Taxman...that's a great deal of a different situation. Totally understandable
Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #231
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2015

I've officially applied for 1.31.15. Bring it on!! Age 54, but in the year of my all important age of 55 to allow access to retirement savings. Glad to have found this community.
texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #232
Recycles dryer sheets

I told my boss that I will be retiring earlier than most people. I just wanted her to have a clue so I don't spring anything on her. Also, I am less likely to get a new project if they know I am leaving. I said I don't have a date yet but some time between April 1 and the end of the year. Still haven't made my mind up 100%. April sounds good, but financially the end of the year is more advantageous. Is there such a thing as TMQ (three more quarters) syndrome?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #233
Recycles dryer sheets

My BS bucket filled up in early October and I drafted and NEARLY sent in my resignation letter. However, I had submitted an expense report for my PMP certification that hadn't been approved yet, so I decided to hold off until it got approved. In the interim, they announced massive layoffs (10% of our department), so now I am holding on until I can find out if I'm eligible for a layoff or not. An extra 16 months salary would sure help ease the transition.

In any case, I expect to leave either via normal resignation or layoff in early 2015 at age 42. I'd love for it to be 2014, but I doubt that will be possible given how quickly Megacorp moves. At least I have a month-long vacation already planned for the end of 2014, that will help a lot!
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #234

I hope the good luck gods smile on you, Spudd. I am on day 261 in my countdown to freedom!

BB
Old 10-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #235
Dryer sheet aficionado

For me, July 1, 2015 is on track. The company has hired a vendor to replace me regarding the monitoring and maintenance of the company network. They will begin replacing servers and setting their monitoring capabilities next week. The full transition should be complete by the end of the year.

As the Sysadmin and sole member of the IT department, I have other duties and responsibilities that will require training others to manage the phone system, copiers and printers, mobile devices, bill processing, local and long distance, Internet connectivity, along with the negotiation and contracting for each of those services.

Currently, the plan is to divide these duties among 9 co-workers in order to provide 24X7X365 at both offices as I have done.

Ain't it always the case, it takes a bunch of people to replace you?
OBXretire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #236
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've decided to join the 2015 class...I think...lol.
I personally told my employer that as of Jan 2015 I will be cutting back to no more than 2 days/week. I have been "requesting" that someone be hired so I could cut back to 3 or 4 days a week for more than 6 months to no avail. So, I made it clear last week that someone needs to be hired & I will cover for vacations & work no more than 2 days/week otherwise.

We are FI per my calculations (& others) since 9/2014 but am hesitant to completely pull the plug, so going to ease into it over the next year. DW is still working FT but also plans to attempt to change to PT & if unsuccessful she will RE next year as well.

I would like to just cover our expenses next year w/o touching the stache....I'm going to have a difficult time changing from a saver to a spender...I'm sure of it.

I've enjoyed lurking for the past few months
Punxsyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #237

I will also throw my hat in this ring. In January 2015 I will tell my boss that I'd like to switch to a 20-hour work week at a location much closer to home. If I can't do that I will retire at the end of March.

I look forward to reading about everyone's experiences here.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2015
Old 11-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #238
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2015

This past month (October) I told my manager that I would go to 1 day a week starting in 4/2015 and that I wouldn't take on any new facilities or extra projects. They were planning on hiring someone in January for the overflow anyway.

Yesterday I got an email from my other manager telling me about something new which I do not want to undertake. I reminded her of my semi-retirement date and that I told our GM I was not taking on any new projects. We'll see on Monday how much they push me.

We are FI, I could just walk away but I like the health insurance and didn't want to have to deal with both COBRA and then ACA before I am at Medicare age in 2 years.

And monkey wrench - last week DH mentioned he would like the idea of retiring to Mexico - something he never was interested in for all the years (15+) we've been vacationing there. So, who knows? Ole!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

I just volunteered for a layoff package! I asked if it would be possible for me to be done by April 1, and my boss said he thinks it should be doable. Now to sit on tenterhooks until the final confirmation comes back from HR.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Baby Steps
Old 11-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #240

Baby Steps

Just informed my manager of desire to reduce to 30-hr work week effective Jan 15, 2015. For some reason I had butterflies in my gut when I had this conversation...kind of like the feeling I got asking a cute girl for a date when I was 17 years old. Wierd! The manager asked me what my long-term plans were. He is a little nervous because I am a commercial pilot that works with military and NASA doing scientific flights. There will be a bit of lead time required to replace me. I didn't have the guts to come out and say " I am out of here by end of summer 2015." But thats my plan and I am sticking to it!
Freedom here I come!
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote