Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Retired December 2015, 5+ yrs of wonderful retirement!! Retired with my wife at 55 and I 56! After selling a big house and getting my pension rolling and the smoke cleared at that time! We have been amazed at how easy retirement is! Not super-rich, but plenty coming in. The investments are growing so much we wonder how we will spend it later after we start SS. Oh we love it. Having so much free time is the way God intended it, I'm sure!! It is heavenly! Doing things on a wimb is in my DNA! And now able to do it! Could have worked few more years to add to the safety of it. Please listen to me, don't hesitate, if you feel you can retire. Please do it, it is easy!!
goodcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Turk?
It's not meant in an ethnic sense. It's a generational term used in business, politics, etc. "eg, out with the old, in with the young turks"

Definition #2 below:
Attached Images
File Type: png YoungTurk.PNG (25.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-19-2021, 12:41 AM   #43

Ahh - well, I kind of qualify. I stood up in December 2015 and ended 30 years of military service (active and Reserve), and then flew to Italy to start medical school. Quit two months later, flew back to try and fix what I thought had been a strong marriage - alas, it did not repair (as someone said earlier 'new' woman for him), divorce final in Dec 2017. I then managed end of life care for my mother who passed in 2018. I decided to come back to the working world as I had the opportunity to go back to Germany - the job is easy for the most part and I was hoping to travel like crazy (which I did until COVID hit).

Now, it's a matter of deciding how long to stay - this location is perfect for traveling in and around Europe - and I have a SOFA card, so I'm sort treated like a European for Schengen zone and 'resident' purposes. Otherwise it would be 90 days max per year here....

Five years - yup - a lot happened, but am happy, healthy and grateful.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:12 AM   #44

March 2017, and all's well.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
For the class of 2016 we are in our 5th year of retirement. I looked for the list of 2016 class but was unable to find it.

Just wondering how many of us are still visiting the site, and how your retirement has been going, in the fifth year of retirement?

For me it has went so fast, it is hard to beleive it has been 5 years. It has been all I expected it would be and much more.
It IS hard to believe that on Nov 1, I hit the 5 yr mark as well. I had no idea how freeing retirement life would be, and my only regret is that I waited until 56 yo... I should have taken my Corp 55/50 the very second I hit 55!
Old 05-20-2021, 06:43 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi all! We are still here and like most, still can’t believe this is real!

We’ve been traveling 5-7 months in the winter to places south of the equator except for when we travelled on the ICW on our boat a few years back, and this past winter, due to Covid.

We have been working on our real estate exit strategy and have sold our main home on the Chesapeake Bay (we were never there) and move into our beachfront condo in Florida when we are in the country (we rent it out during the winter).

We are a bit bummed that it’s been very windy lately to go fishing, or paddle boarding or kayaking, but they are good problems to have! [emoji2]

Although Florida never really shut down, we now have our shots, feeling grateful, and hope soon, other countries will be ok too.
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:18 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Class of 2016 here. Best 5 years of my life. Kids are still in school, so they keep us on a schedule. Lockdown has prevented family travel. Original SWR was 3.2%, now down to 2.1%. Can't complain.
fire161007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:38 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Still check in here once in a while. LOVING being retired early at 47 now 52

Things that are different than planned

1. Didn’t sell the primary home to relocate
2. Just bought a second snowbird home [emoji15]
3. Savings is triple what retired with
4. Not doing much of any of the activities planned, but found better things to do. Amazed at things I must have done just to decompress from work that now I have no interest in
5. I could care less how my lawn looks
6. My house is less clean and I don’t care [emoji16]

It’s all about What’s the next sport/game I can play [emoji14]
Old 05-29-2021, 05:25 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Officially retired June 2016, though I was on unpaid LOA for a year before that. It's been great. I've done a lot of traveling with my kids (now 10 and 13), including a 6-week road trip around the USA in 2017 and trips to Iceland in 2018 and 2019 (The first trip ended in disaster with us spending most of it in a hospital, so we had to go back to actually enjoy it).

At first I kept busy with a lot of projects around my house, now I just take it easy a lot of the time. Three years ago I put one of my kids into a private cooperative school, so I joined the board of directors of the school, and I spend a couple of days a month working as an aide with the kids, which is a lot of fun.

Overall, my portfolio is up about 50%, my WR now hovers around 2%, and my stress level is down about 1,000%. Life is great.
eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:37 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful! Glad to see 2016'ers are doing well and prospering in life.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 05:48 AM   #51

Interesting fact:

May, 2021 had the dates fall on the same days of the week as May, 2016.

I officially retired June 1, 2016. But my last day of work was May 12, five years from two weeks ago last Wednesday, due to vacation days, holidays and a scheduled Friday off.

This day five years ago I was ready to go on my three-month Down East Loop cruise, just waiting for the remnants of Hurricane Bonnie to blow through. I got underway the next day.

And, for the record, I haven't missed w*rk once since then. I've missed some of the people there, but not the idea of getting up to go in.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #52

We retired in November of 2016, and the time has flown by. It’s been a bit different than we planned, but it’s all good. We did a couple of major things that we didn’t plan on - moved away from our coastal CA town to the desert, converted our former primary home to a long-term rental, and purchased and completely remodeled a mid-century modern place with a beautiful mountain view. We now live about 2 hours away from where we were before, which means we are still able to maintain our close friendships by spending a few days together with friends during visits instead of an evening out here and there. While I miss seeing my two best friends as frequently as I used to, we have really enjoyed the quality time of spending a few days together when friends visit.

Financially life has been good, despite spending quite a lot of money on our remodel. Even though our spending has far exceeded expectations, the market uplift has funded it and we have more than what we retired with.

Other than 2020, we’ve been able to do a lot of slow travel, which we love. We are currently in the USVI for 2 months.

Our health has been excellent, and we are more fit than when we were working, but the ravages of time have caused some issues which affected our ability to do things we enjoy. This is frustrating, and I hope, temporary. DH got a calf injury while we were playing tennis that took many months to heal. I am struggling with a groin injury now, likely caused by hiking and walking 15-20K steps per day. And while SCUBA diving on our current trip, I have been dealing with ear trauma issues. But, at least we are free from any major illnesses and our health stats are all better than when we were working, so I’m grateful for that.

I’ve never once missed my former career or had a desire to work, nor have I kept in close touch with my former employer or colleagues there. I did recently agree to serve on a couple of HOA Committees in our new neighborhood and to do a project for our rental home HOA. Between that, spending a lot more time on outdoor fitness activities, reading, traveling and spending time with DH and our friends, plus continuing the university volunteer work I did prior to ER, life feels full and very satisfying.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote